CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Intern in New Zealand

Wellington

Vincent's Art Workshop is an incredible inclusive space to experience and I feel privileged to have been an intern there.

Nothing but the best!

CIS Abroad worked with me so much before my trip. They were always easy to contact and clarify things with. Though the agency is expensive everything about it is worth it, I was always able to communicate with someone, felt safe, was confident in where I was going and what I was doing, and all the criteria my university needed was supplied. They found me an awesome place to intern and I was thrown in right away! I never felt abandoned and was always informed about what was going on in the city I was in or near by as well as cared for by Angela, my CIS Abroad agent. You could tell the CIS Abroad workers genuinely cared about your best interest and assuring you a wonderful time.

I was placed in an apartment with five other Americans and it was so great meeting all of them and getting to know what it's like to live in other states or attend other universities. My roommate that I shared a room with became one of my closest friends and now we get to travel to one another in the States and stay in contact all the time. I thank CIS Abroad for pairing me with such great people and allowing me to have a family away from home,

Angela, my CIS Abroad agent always contacted us to let us know what cultural events were going on and where all the locals would be. She also drove us to events occasionally and would stop by with treats and pointers of where to get what.

Life changing experience in New Zealand

My three months in New Zealand was truly life changing. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I was able to intern at two different places as well as travel whenever I pleased. I learned more in my three months in New Zealand then I have in a year in school. The laid back culture and natural beauty of New Zealand are two things that will keep me motivated to work on going back there as soon as I can. I can't say enough good things about my experience!

Living situation was great. I made a lot of new friends and felt very at home.

The places that I interned were very helpful with this. The staff was incredible at suggesting activities and travel plans. I really felt like part of the culture.

The administration couldn't have been more helpful. It was like having a second family to fall back on.

Great Trip Overall

I had a great time abroad. I had a tough time while traveling to New Zealand but after that it went without a hitch. Living arrangements were decent and the locals were great. I made many life long friends.

Poor communication and no orientation

The program coordinator was difficult to contact, tardy in response, and at times, misleading with vital information. Part of my $6000 program fee was supposed to cover an orientation upon arrival, which I never received.

• CISabroad responded to this review September 03, 2015 at 4:50 AM

Hi Brandon,

We appreciate and value the feedback of all of our participants. CISabroad has recently transitioned to a new application process and participant database which should alleviate the issues with communication. We continue to work to develop system and processes with the feedback from you and other participants. We are happy to hear you had amazing experience overall!

Kind Regards, Seth W, and the CISabroad team.

Great Experience

New Zealand is an amazing place. I had a great experience and made a ton of connections/ friends! The living arrangements were less than expected for the price of accommodation. I expected to at least have my own room but was lucky to have a really cool roommate. Definitely recommend going to New Zealand.

Experience of A Lifetime

My internship placement in the Museum of Wellington City and Sea was an amazing fit. I had the opportunity to work in different departments within the museum, which allowed me to see how museums work on all the different levels. In addition to the musuem placement, New Zealand itself was an experience of its own. The people are great, travel is relatively cheap on and between the two islands, and they have an amazing place called i-Site that will book all the details of your trip for you free of charge. Anytime I was not working I spent it travelling and on those travels I met so many people from all over the world and I was able to hear all of their experiences which reiteraated the fact to me that traveling is something that I want to continue to do. Overall my experience in New Zealand was a great one and something I would highly suggest for any person entertaining the idea of travelling abroad.

All around New Zealand is one of the safest countries in the world.

Internship in Wellington, NZ

This internship was one of the best experiences I have ever had. CIS does a great job working with you to figure out your interests and the best program to complement your studies. The placement team in NZ is great at matching you with a great local business and very helpful for problems or just questions in country. The city of Wellington is very accessible, walkable, packed with great food and entertainment, and very friendly and welcoming. No matter what you are studying or where you are hoping to go in life, I highly recommend this program.

There was only one working light on the kitchen/living room floor of our apartment, which made cooking difficult. The bathroom was poorly ventilated. The heaters in the bedrooms were not very effective.

My coworkers were super great about making me feel included and getting me involved in local Wellington activities.

The major pedestrian streets are well-lit and always busy. So long as you have common sense, there's no reason to expect any trouble.

Social Life:
Plenty of interesting bars and clubs, great museums, and lot of opportunities to see live music or theatre performances.

Internship in New Zealand

It was a great experience but I just wished that my internship placement had more to do with my major. I loved the people I was rooming with and the apartment we were in was close to the night life and to my internship.

Zealandia Internship

I was very pleased with my stay in Wellington, New Zealand; and thoroughly enjoyed my internship working at the Zealandia Eco-sanctuary. The facilities I had at my disposal were very good and very comfortable. The people that I had the pleasure of working and living with were all awesome and most certainly made the trip much more enjoyable. However I do wish that I had been given more options and choices for the internship program that would have been suitable towards my field of study. I do realize that at the end of the day the choice was my in choosing where I interned, and take sole responsibly for it. As for the staff with CIS, I must say that I am not thoroughly impressed. State side, communication was abysmal and I (as well as the majority of other interns), found it very difficult to come into contact with CIS staff in coordinating our internships abroad. Communication is an area within the program that can most definitely be improved upon, as there was almost none throughout my stay. With that in mind, on the New Zealand side of things the coordinator, Angela, was a very sweet woman and helped when she could, for the most part. There were some small areas of my experience that were lacking and could have definitely been improved upon. Such as use of the facilities (broken appliances and services that were either never fixed, or had to be fixed at the interns disposal. Overall, I am pleased with my experience; although for the money I wish to see in the future some operations and procedures be improved and handled more professionally.

New Zealand....

Overall It was an amazing experience; however, I did not get along with one of the interns I was rooming with and it was hard, making me want to come home sooner.
Other than that, I had a wonderful time. Traveling is important. Even when you think you can't do anything when you get off work and just want to sit at home and watch tv/movies or play video games... DON'T! There are many restaurants to try out. Travel every weekend. Find something to do every weekend. I was very pleased with the assistance I received from many people living here. Very laid-back and willing to help out with directions, recommendations whenever asked. Our program coordinator, Angela, is wonderful. She makes it best for you with accommodations. I originally started out at a flat across the city from my job, and then relocated closer to my job after 2 weeks. The studio I interned at was very helpful. I learned so much about Graphic Design, and the culture. They were open to talk about differences from the USA. With my internship work experience, I learned more than I would in a graphic design class. Being more 1 on 1 is the best way to learn.

my time abroad

It was a positive and learning experience made me appreciate what i have at home.

Many things in the house were broken or worn down. Stove light, heater, old burnt cooking pans, hole in couch. And the house was not very clean.

It was pretty organized.