CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Intern in Florence

6 weeks in Florence

Over all experience was great! There was a few bumps at the beginning and some stress trying to get everything in order but once I was in Florence everyone there was amazing! The internship opportunity was amazing and the on site coordinator Alessandro was great! He answered all my questions and knew of some great places to visit and eat at.

Fashion Design Intern, Florence, Italy

I would without a doubt recommend studying abroad with CIS. I was completely satisfied with the organization and ease of the program from the application process to being met at the airport in Florence, Italy. I gained a global and international experience in Fashion that I will forever remember. I was able to grow both on a personal and professional level while interning in Italy and would go back in a heartbeat!!

Best summer of my life

I had a lot of expectations when traveling abroad and Florence and CIS exceeded most if not all of them! Such a great experience! Learned a lot and had a great time! Definitely a summer I will never forget!

Florence

I loved the city and I definitely made some friends for life while on my trip abroad. Though the only thing was that i was placed in a living situation with two people who were already friends and it would have been nice to have been placed with more single travelers

The best experience of my Life.

CIS is a fantastic program to study with. Keep in mind that this program is for the educated and the self responsible students. This program helped me in my career in more than just a few ways. The program I was in, The Summer Internship in Florence, was the best experience of my life. I will never forget the people, the places, or the work I accomplished.

Internship Placement:
I was a student at FUA and I was placed in an Internship with UNSECO. It was the best placement for me!

I lived in the city center of Florence. My room was big and the Kitchen and living area was roomy.

The only reason I give a lower grade on this, was that I wish there had been more events and opportunities to go to. There was only three. There were only a few things to go to from the university as well, they offered different activities but always at the same time, My Italian class interfered with me going on a garden tour. I would have loved to know more about the markets as well. Chris Batchelder was awesome though. He took us on a tour of the Market at Saint Amborsio.

Chris Batchelder is a really awesome person. He always got in contact with me to see how I was doing. He introduced me to new people and new places to eat. He is a true asset to your program. Ashley Hiehiapo was the best advisor. She helped me get into the right program. She informed myself and my parents with any questions we might have.

Florence is a city, but has the feel of a small town. I never once felt unsafe.

Social Life:
I made friends for life here. I did so many social activities it is hard to remember everything!

A fantastic program to experience a new culture.

A great experience and really helpful on site staff. Exploring Italy never could have been better.

Wedding Planning Internship

This experience has completely changed my life. Not only will the experience be something that will help me with my career future, but it made me grow in ways I can never explain. The intern abroad program is something I think all Junior/Seniors should consider. I loved it because even though it was a "study abroad" program - you have so much freedom and truly are working and living in a city on your own. All though there were a lot of ups and downs with the program, the experience was exactly what I hoped it would be.

I really enjoyed my living in Florence. The apartment was nice and bigger than I expected! It was really nice having a laundry machine.

I just have two concerns/comments about living.
1) Every other program that I met people in knew about their living and who their roommates were prior to arriving in Florence. I realize CIS has some kind of reasoning for not providing this information, but this may be something you want to change. Being there for 9 weeks, I went through 3 different sets of roommates which was difficult. It would be nice knowing who I will be living with and be able to communicate/get to know them before hand.

2) It would be great if your could provide the address to students more than a day before leaving for Italy. I know many people who didn't have this information and this is VERY scary going to a new country for the first time and not evening knowing an address to refer to. I realize this is all the experience, but I know my family would appreciate atleast an address they know I would be arriving to.

I loved how "hands-off" and free I was during the program. Once I was placed in my internship I was "on my own" and I loved that. I worked directly with the wedding planning company, as if I was interning in America.

I found a huge lack of communication between students, CIS, and FUA. This made a lot of things difficult. The process of applying to the program was very stressful - especially when I would have to send documents multiple times because the administration would misplace it.

I ALWAYS felt safe in Florence. Everyone in Italy is so helpful and I always knew someone would be there to help me

Overall Great

The programm was very good and I learned alot, but there are a few things that should be fixed.

I was able to immersed in the culture but it was mostly my myself. The programm needs to provide more options to immerse.

The members of the administration were kind of hard to get in touch withz

Social Life:
There were american clubs and then italian clubs so there are many options

Personal Abroad Trip

CISabroad was great! It was a wonderful experience that gave me access to a seemingly personalized travel plan. I was given many options as to where I would like to study. Chosing Florence, I was able to live in the city center only a block away from Santa Croce and only minutes away from other amazing historic parts of the city. I was able to explore and emerse myself in the Italian culture. The first 3 week Italian class was helpful to learn basics to assist with my traveling and short communication with locals. I was able to intern in an amazing five star hotel only 10 minutes away from my apartment. It was a perfect set-up because I was able to have an internship similar to one I would have at home, but an international experience on top of it. Both the Italian language class and the Internship are credit bearing considered by my home university which will help me knock some credits out of the way for graduation in the Spring. Overall, I would definitely reccommend this program to someone. It gave the most options so you could design an abroad plan that most suited what you personally wanted to do in your time abroad. Sometimes a little unorganized, the program always came through with everything and had everything set up for you perfectly. Always available to be reached for questions or help.

I was happily surprised at the size of my apartment. It was much bigger than I expected and althought I lived with at one point 5 other girls, there was plenty of space for us to live comfortably. The location was also really great! Right in the city center of Florence close to Santa Croce. It made is very easy for me to learn my way around the city.

I loved living right in the city center because I could walk out of my front door and immediately be immersed in the italian culture. It was really amazing. Although taking the italian language class was nice, it would have been better to have taken it for longer (ofcourse I was there for a limited time so this wasn't very possible). I didn't feel like I learned things that would be helpful for traveling and my current time in Italy. Learned more about basic verbs...would have been nice to focus more on helpful vocabulary for my time in Florence. I was never put in a situation where I felt I had to speak Italian.

All of the administration were very friendly! Always felt comfortable reaching out to anyone in the program. Wasn't always as helpful as I hoped for. Things sometime seemed very unorganized.

Always felt safe. Had an understanding of what I needed to do to make sure I was in a safe environment.

Social Life:
There were all different types of things to do in Florence. It was great socially. The only thing I wish was different is that I didn't feel the program gave much opportunity for the students to meet each other. I would go out to the bars and stuff but the only people I had access to truly meet were my roommates and the students in my language class.

Italy

experience in italy was incredible, however, CSI didn't provide any guidance and lacked organization and assistance on many fronts

not helpful, very unorganized

amazing, no thanks at all to CIS

I had the most amazing time in florence, but unfortunately this was not because of CIS. They set me up with a great apartment, but it pretty much ends there. The class was good but was not what was described to me before entering the program. I was given completely different dates and times. I was also supposed to be interning for three weeks, and although my placement was a program CIS often works with and they had MONTHS to set something up, I still started late and only did two weeks of internship. My roommates didn't really get much of an internship placement at all. Overall, CIS is a good way to GET to italy, and still worth it as it is one of the better priced programs as far as I know, but go with the understanding that you will be on your own, and it really should just be used to get roommates and an apartment, and maybe some language intruction

apt was really nice and we had A/C which was great

I was completely immersed in the culture but not at all due to CIS. they did not offer ANY cultural immersion programs

teaching staff was very nice but my internship was not arranged efficiently at all and started late

always felt completely safe, only hiccup was a small pickpocketing situation

Social Life:
had an amazing time and met some amazing people, really fun and chill social scene, something for everyone