CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Wonderful Internship Experience

Doing my internship in Dublin Ireland was the best decision I could have made. I am an interior design major and was placed at an architecture firm in Dublin. At first i didn't think the placement was right for me but after awhile I began to realize it was perfect for me. I cannot wait till I get another opportunity to go back! It was a perfect experience. I would recommend this program to everyone!

Blessed

My experience with Intern in Dublin was the greatest of experience of my life. Forever thankful for my time in Dublin, everyone I met truly touched my heart and my life has been forever changed. I learned so much about life and myself and have grown so much as a person.

A fantastic experience in Ireland.

From the time I arrived in Ireland, I was immediately exposed and immersed to the culture and history of Ireland. It was my goal to travel aboard, and I was glad it was Ireland. I did a three month political internship in the city of Dublin, which is an amazing city with its history and the people who live there. Living in Dublin for three month I met great people and made many new friends, and there were plenty of things to do in the city. I even traveled outside of Dublin because Ireland is such a small country, it was so easy to travel to other cities and towns around Ireland. Overall my experience in Ireland was amazing, and I am definitely planning on going back to Ireland in the future.

I liked how each room had its own bathroom.

I had the opportunity to experience many new things about the Irish culture.

This experience was life changing.

I have always wanted to live a short while in another country but signing up with CIS was better than anything I could have asked for personally. The job placement was amazing, I woke up every morning excited to go into work. The trips planned by CIS were so fun because we were able to share with all the abroad students and the coordinator really knew her history and way around the country. Although, I was an intern I could not enjoy all the trips, I was able to pick small trips to go on by myself in place of the planned trips. The whole experience was life changing because I now want to see so many other cultures and work internationally. This was an amazing experience and I hope I get to do it again someday.

My living situation was in the perfect location for me to be able to go where I needed to go! It was spacious enough and I had plenty of room for all of my things. It was nice enough for a 3 month stay.

I was thrown into so many cultures while abroad. Many of the trips planned by CIS immersed me into the culture of the country I was in and brought me all kinds of history.

Everyone was very helpful along the way and my program coordinator was amazing! If there was anything I needed I felt comfortable calling her while abroad and she was always happy to help.

It's the same precautions as any city but as long as you know the basic safety tips you are good to go plus the program coordinator is only a call away.

Social Life:
Ireland has the best social life! Everyone is so nice and there is a pub on every corner so there's no problem finding somewhere to just go have a pint with somebody. The Clubs are nice too but the pubs are a great way to meet people.

Awesome Summer

This past summer was easily the best summer of my life! I was able to spend it in Dublin, Ireland Interning with a great organization. I was able to travel every weekend rather it be with the CSI or on my own. I got to see a bunch of different countries and really fell in love with Europe as a whole but Ireland has my heart. I would recommend this program to anyone who was interested in it!

I love Dublin!

I had the best time in Dublin. Both my internship and the city were amazing. I ended up extending my trip because I didn't want to leave. My housing was perfect-great location and I made some of the best life long friends with my 6 wonderful roommates. I miss it so much and I can't wait to go back!

Best 8 Weeks of My Life

CIS took what I told them I wanted in a internship and found me one that fit that perfectly.

Summer Intern in Dublin-2013

My overall experience was amazing. Our group leader in Dublin did a fantastic job of making sure we got the most out of our experience and that everything went according to plan.

What a great experience!

Overall my experience with CISabroad was great. Our director was more than great! She took us on a few trips and made sure all of our needs were met as far as city living in Dublin. I enjoyed my stay at our student housing. The facilities were very nice. My workplace was also very welcoming. I learned so much and cannot imagine my life without having this experience!

Social Life:
I would enjoy more events that were scheduled by CIS.

Marketing Internship - QED Training

My overall experience was a good one, be prepared to hit the ground running with everything from bus routes to what you do in your internship. The first week is chaotic, but you settle in well. Keep asking to get involved at your internship, your supervisor or boss has no idea what to expect from you, so get involved. You get out what you put in.

None.

I never felt like my safety was threatened.

Social Life:
Its Dublin, not much else to say.

Review for Dublin Internship Abroad

Our campus director, John Hayes was incredibly helpful. I think the living situation could definitely be improved upon. Additionally, the way the cost for the program is broken down should be reevaluated. I think it's a little unfair how some students had commutes that needed to pay for transportation while others did not have to.

Experience

I was very happy with my internship, and the excursions were great! John Hayes was a particularly good guide and contact. The living situation is my only complaint. I felt like there was a communication barrier between apartment staff and residents, and the residences were not well prepared for arriving students.

Loved the people, program could use more attention

I wouldn't trade my experience in Dublin for anything. I loved the people and John Hayes was an excellent coordinator. But, CIS needs to communicate better with the students/interns and be more organized.

Dublin

My experience in Ireland absolutely marvelous! Dublin was a very fun city, and the trips we made around Ireland were very fun. The job placement was great. I learned so much about my profession and the people I worked with were very nice and accommodating. Anyone associated with CIS made this experience painless, and they were all very helpful and responsive. The only negative thing I would say is that the apartment in Dublin was problematic, we had problems with the hot water and the drainage system. The actual landlord was frequently unresponsive, and it was frustrating for me.

The good out weighs the bad

I had an incredible experience in Ireland. I was initially frustrated with the lack of information given prior to departure, but the trip turned out to be an unforgettable experience. The living situation was less than desirable but we made it work.

The living situation was manageable but frustrating. The man who ran the building, wasn't the most helpful or friendly. We were told that our rooms would be clean each week. They were cleaned, but what I didn't appreciate was him barging into our apartment whenever he pleased. I don't know if it is just a cultural difference but in America, it is illegal for a landlord or maintenance worker to enter a tenet's residence without 24 hour notice. He would maybe knock once, and then just let himself in. It's not a big deal I guess, but it just made myself and the other girls in the apartment uncomfortable.

I had a wonderful time learning about the Irish Culture and meeting Irish people. I love the language, the music and the food. I had a wonderful time.

I felt like the administration prior to leaving the states was poor. The Programs coordinator was exceptionally helpful to me, but what I took issue with was that I was being asked to pay a huge sum of money before I even received an internship placement. I just felt like I didn't really know what was going on or what to expect. In Ireland,the site director was phenomenal. She really made this experience great. She was really really wonderful and I'm really going to miss her Irish quick wit and company.

I was robbed but it was more or less my own fault. I was pretty shaken up by it, but fortunately I was able to meet some wonderful people that helped me and the Garda were incredible.

Social Life:
Our group dynamic was great, but we did have our struggles. Being in a group with so many girls for so long is bound to end in some drama. But overall we got along for the most part.

Good

I had an amazing experience, was able to travel around most of Ireland at ease, and my internship was more than I could have ever imagined.

Rules of the apartment were not clear. The structure of the apartment was very disorganized. There were many unannounced intrusions in our apartment. The staff entering did not knock (unlocked the door on their own) and failed to announce who they were.

I never felt unsafe.

Social Life:
The maturity level of some people that were also accepted in the 2013 program surprised me. I don't feel that many of these people should not have been accepted for various reasons.

Experience the world.

Great way to see the culture and actually immerse yourself into a new culture and environment.

I like the closeness and ability to walk to city center. The cleaning of it is weird and if you're going to clean for us fine but have a set time so we don't have to get kicked out of the room and sit in the hall. Bathroom light went out and he wouldn't replace the lightbulb made it difficult to shower and whatnot. Had to shower with the door open and water was going everywhere. Glad it went out the end of the trip and not the whole time. My apt didn't have problems really but I know some of the others had problems with having no water and electricity at times.

I like that we were close to city center and just a short walk if you wanted to walk and not rely on the buses. Had a great experience.

Kelli is very knowledgeable about Ireland and what to do/ see in different areas. She is underpaid for what she does and how much she does for us. She is an amazing lady and took great care of us and was always an email/ phone call away of we needed her. Great to know out Irish contact actually cared about us and our well being not just someone doing their job and we were a bother to them like I've seen in the past.

I never had a problem. I am usually aware of my surroundings and what not. One day on my way to work a homeless dude followed me for awhile yelling and screaming at me. I didn't look at him or acknowledge him. I texted a coworker who was in from Belfast for the day to stick around outside and in his car for me. He did and once I walked up to his car the dude kept going and left me alone. I'm glad I'm nothing came of it and nothing happened. Where we lived was near some super unsafe areas but only had issues at night if anything happened.

Social Life:
I struggled with this. I'm way older then most of these other people interning abroad. My work was me and my boss so no opportunity to meet people there really. The clicks and what not and not being invited out or told what's going on gets old. I'm not going to travel alone at night in a weird city to go out and see the night life. Maybe have some more group get togethers not just one the first weekend maybe one halfway thru as that when you miss home the most and struggle because you have no friends here and super lonely.

Made amazing memories, met wonderful people, and found some great craic!

Overall, I had an amazing 8 weeks in Ireland. I was very happy with my internship placement; I learned a lot of valuable information and got some great work experience. My boss was extremely helpful and enthusiastic, and I had a wonderful time working with him. Our onsite director was absolutely phenomenal! She was extremely knowledgable and always quick to respond to any questions or concerns we had. I met some amazing people and made some life long friendships on my program. It was very hard to say goodbye to my friends at the end of the 8 week stay. But with that, I must say, 8 weeks was the perfect amount of time.

For our program, we were placed in three apartments (2 four person apartments and 1 five person apartment). The apartments were clean when we arrived and had a weekly cleaning for the rest of our stay. We were provided with sheets, pillow, kitchen supplies, and some cleaning supplies. The rooms were a decent size and included a desk, shelves, closet, bed-side table, and a connected bathroom. The building was about 3/4 of a mile from city center, an easy 15 minute walk. If you didn't want to take the walk, there was a bus station right outside the building. The man in charge of the building for the summer was not always the friendliest, but if there was an issue (ie. broken washer), he would fix it immediately.

I feel that I was immersed in the Irish culture through this program. Our onsite director was very helpful in integrating us into this new setting.

I think that all of the administrators that I talked to were helpful to some degree in my experience here. The onsite director was phenomenal! She was extremely helpful and alway there to answer questions or deal with concerns.

As long as you aren't walking alone at night, then it was pretty safe. Like being in any other city, you must be cautious of your surroundings. Take care of your belongings, don't talk to strangers, and if you are alone at night, pay the taxi cab fare to get home.

Social Life:
Lots of choices- pubs, clubs, bars. Again, just depends on which area you are in.

Summer in Ireland

I loved the experience I had in Dublin, Ireland, but the internship placement did not match what I was looking for. Although I did learn a lot, I felt that Mark, who placed me in my internship, did not care where I ended up. My conversations with him were terrible and I did not feel like he tried to get me into a placement that fit.
The overall living experience wasn't terrible, but the property manager was terrible at responding to concerns and did not respect our privacy at all. For the amount of money I spent, I expected more.
Other than those two things, I had an amazing summer abroad and would overall recommend the company.

You really get to know a community doing community work.

My internship was all about volunteering and reaching out to the community and through that I learned much more than I would have as a student. I feel that to really understand a place, you need to work with it's people and an internship is the perfect opportunity to do just that. As an intern, I lived the lifestyle of someone truly living in Ireland, and I learned so much in the 3 months I was there.

Didn't like living in college apartments, it was too noisy. Also, too far away from internship, which was just in the city centre.

Had a good time, met a lot of good people.

Loved Lisa, I was really lucky to have such a great person to help me in my journey. She's really a gem to have for the program.

I'm from New Orleans, and that's dangerous. I didn't feel in danger at any point while I was there, even in the dodgy neighborhoods. The Garda don't even carry guns, and that's cool considering where I'm from.

Social Life:
I actually already had a few Irish friends and I began dating one while I was there... There was something for everyone. If you don't like drinking, there are tons of cafes and volunteering to get into.

Go Explore!

I loved Dublin, but I loved Ireland more! Go explore see everything! :)

I liked the space, and having our own bathrooms was very nice. However, it was not a great area. At night, things got a little sketchy.

I will be back to Dublin! Seeing much of Ireland with Kelli and the gang was great too!

Would have loved a little bit more information ahead of the time, and for it to be organized!

Travel in groups know and where you are going, and don’t be stupid. Always have a buddy and a meet up place !

Social Life:
If you know where to go - you can do anything! Diceys Garden for clubbing, or Captain America’s for kereoke!

Great Craic

The people I met and the memories I made will last me a lifetime. Interning in Dublin was the most amazing experience and would have been completely different without the amazing support of our on-site director. Dublin is now my second home and I can't wait to come back.

The house itself was great but Gregor wasn't that helpful.

Kelli was amazing in helping us get comfortable in Dublin and encouraged us to explore.

Only because Kelli Malone was the most amazing resource CIS had to offer.

Never felt like I was in danger at any point of my trip

Amazing

Dive in and take advantage of everything.

No matter how excited or prepared you are to travel abroad for a long period of time, you don't truly know what to expect until you get there. I was surprisingly terrified when I arrived, after months of preparing and excitement, and was really second guessing my decision. As soon as I pushed myself to make the most out of it, it quickly became the best experience of my life. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

You get what you paid for...

I picked CIS because it was the cheapest, and I got what I paid for. I was placed in an apartment all by myself in a different building from everyone else. I was placed in a bad internship that had nothing to do with my major, career plans or my requests. Our onsite staffer didn't even live in the same city. My advisor would take days or sometimes over a week to respond to an email. And right now I'm dealing with a money situation, where they're asking for $550 that is not mentioned anywhere in any paperwork for my transcript from PSU, one month after I paid $800 for the transcript, one month after I asked my advisor if that was already paid for and she said yes. This is not petty cash, and they're exploiting students who need the credits for graduation. Do not do CIS Intern Abroad in Dublin, it's a piss poor excuse for an abroad program.

• CISabroad responded to this review October 24, 2016 at 1:41 PM

We are sorry to hear about your housing and internship situation. At CISabroad we do the best we can to fit students into a comfortable and safe living environment. And we did end up relocating you to a new apartment. We also conduct check-ins to see how your internship is going and if it is fitting your needs. In regards to the transcript, Zufan, your program coordinator, spoke with you just after your above comments and clarified that you do not have to pay the extra $550 extra since CISabroad covers that cost for you. We hope this helped to clear up the miscommunication on the transcript situation.