CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Intern in Costa Rica

Intern at Universidad Veritas in San Jose, Costa Rica

My host family was located right down the street from the University where I took my intensive Spanish course as well as had my internship, so I only had to deal with a straight, roughly 10 minute walk to and from the University each and every day which was not too far at all. My internship was located in the exact same office where our on site director also had office hours, so she was always available if I had any questions and I also sometimes served as a messenger for her if she had to leave for a brief period of time. My location also really allowed me to get to know nearly all of the international students that came to the University.

Costa Rica was amazing.

Visiting Costa Rica to intern and take classes was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I met tons of new people, learned a lot of Spanish and grew way more culturally aware. For anyone who's an adventurer, or even if you're not - take this chance. You won't regret it.

I would have loved to get to know more locals - often times it was hard to get out of the student bubble. Maybe if there was a group of ticos who would be willing to show us around?

Pretty awesome

Going abroad with CIS has been pretty awesome. The on-site director and director in the US could not have been more supportive or knowledgable. I think I got reallllly lucky with my homestay. My host family was absolutely incredible. I did not have a roommate (which I highly suggest!), so I really became part of the family. I learned so much, saw so much, grew so much and can´t wait to come back!

MY HOST FAMILY WAS ABSOLUTELY, INCREDIBLY AMAZING.

With the help of my director and my host family, I felt like I was really immersed in the Tico culture!

Besides a slight lack of communication between the U in Costa Rica and my director at home, CIS was a great program to go through.

If you are safe, the city is safe. I´m from New York so I´m used to being aware of my surroundings and living in a city. But I pretty much felt completely safe for the entire duration of my trip.

Social Life:
I´ve made such great friends! I really clicked with a couple of students in particular so we usually spent our weekends traveling or exploring San Jose together!

Better experience than expected

The most difficult part about any study abroad is the logistics before actually leaving. Setting things up, putting together the program, and getting final details of information can be a hassle, especially when the only mode of communication many times is just email. I will say the only time of frustration for me in the whole experience was going through the same stress, that I am sure each representative feels taking care of dozens or hundreds of students at the same time, of finalizing costs, passports, and other pertinent information for such a long stay abroad. Once my internship and classes were set up, everything was smooth and I didn't have anything to worry about except the things that I could take care of myself. Overall, I appreciate the work CIS did for me to create an experience that I honestly didn't expect. It was exceeded, and I highly recommend CIS to any student seeking an experience anywhere in the world.

I believe the families that house students should have some expectation to try and associate with the students. It is invaluable to have any chance to speak spanish, and some families have their own agendas before and after feeding their students.

Saw many great places and really feel like I got a feel for what it is like for those living here. It is difficult, however, to see more without spending more out of my own pocket.

Sometimes it took a long time to get a response from representatives. Even a 'I am still working on your situation' is comforting to know when dealing with international places and personal information.

No problems, felt safe always.

Social Life:
True, social life really depends on the individual. However, sometimes it is better for many to make friends when there are extensive opportunities. Even though we have classes with other students, it was very difficult to communicate with them. Only through FACEBOOK could we find those who we already knew, nonetheless meet others. Also, there were not many circumstances that students are put together with locals for activities.

Great School, Tough City

Most of the international students who came to San Jose, myself included, were disillusioned by the dirty capital city in the middle of the reportedly most environmentally conscious country on planet Earth. What was more disappointing was the fact that it takes a full day of stressful traveling to reach any of the destinations outside the city, which means students attending school during the week will need to wait until the weekend to take any trips. However, the school had some great Spanish language courses, and living in a Spanish speaking country was the single-best decision I've made for my education, period. If you've come to Costa Rica to learn Spanish, work hard and you will fly. If you've come to see the beautiful country, it might be better to travel outside the program.

My host mother was very interesting and kind. We never had any problems.

Very interesting city. Wasn't what I expected, in that the city was not very safe, the air was dirty, and it was a full day's trip away from any sight seeing

The administrators at Universidad Veritas were very professional, though my internship was a disappointment because I didn't get to work the kind of hours I wanted to in the tutoring center. My CISAbroad correspondent in Costa Rica was late for many of the administrative work on the days leading up to my trip--to set up an placement interview, and to send me the invoice for program fees to name two complaints.

Social Life:
I started to build up a great relationship with my students in my tutoring internship program. It was a pleasant experience when I had classes to teach.