CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Your Experience Is What You Make Of It

They were very accommodating for exactly how I wanted my internship. Language classes could be group classes, private tutors, online courses or none at all. They took my desire to live with the locals to heart and made it happen.

Tried their best to accommodate my desired living situation.

My only wish was there to be opportunities to live in a less expensive neighborhood which might have had a nicer apartment for the price or reduced the cost of the apartment. It was a convenient location for my place of work as I was capable of walking everyday.

Planned tour visits quickly gives some knowledge about their culture and community. They also gave many different choices for language courses.

Preferring interns to live together rather than seeking to live with the locals might hinder local immersion, but living with the locals probably is more stressful than living with other interns.

Responded quickly to questions I had about the program.

However, frequent emails asking me to fill out this survey and join them on Facebook. I don't have a facebook account and I don't appreciate spam.

Great -but expensive- experience!

I was in Shanghai and I loved the independence that I was offered. I got to travel and visit so many different places.

>>> However!!!!! If you don't need to earn class credit, go through Immerqi. Their program offers the exact same services as CISabroad. I seriously can't stress this point enough. <<<

Everything I enjoyed about this study abroad is wholly attributable to the work of the Immerqi staff. They did everything they could to welcome me into Shanghai and make sure I was comfortable.

Internship Placement:
Having to write 5 essays over the course of 10 weeks semester was intimidating at first, but once I discovered that the grading process was so lenient, I wasn't as worried.

I got to live in an apartment near Shanghai's city center. It was a great location and I had so much autonomy over the course of my internship because it wasn't a dorm with an RA. My roommates and I got along well even though most of them weren't even students, much less study abroad students in the same program. However, one of the walls in my room didn't connect to the other wall. In other words, there was a small gap between my room and the room of my roommate. Luckily she was also a girl, but I had little to no privacy.

The program does a great job of dropping you in the middle of the city and leaving you alone. It was wholly up to me to be a culturally immersed or not as I wanted to be. I loved this high level of independence.

When I arrived in Shanghai, I discovered that CIS ran the program through a partner company, Immerqi. Immerqi offers the exact same services for about $5000 less. On top of that, all communications with Immerqi (aka the people who were actually doing the work to prepare for my stay in China) had to go through my CIS advisor and I felt like this wasted a lot of my time. Luckily, CIS gave me class credit, which Immerqi did not. I'm just not confident that this is worth an upcharge of almost $5000.

Despite initial concerns, I discovered that Shanghai is an incredibly safe city. Unlike in the States, there really is no worry that someone might assault you late at night. For the most part, Chinese people go to sleep quite early anyway.