CIEE Header Image CIEE Header Image

CIEE Language in Context in Valparaiso, Chile

Creating A New Chilean You

If you want an experience that immerses you as much as possible in the culture and language, this program is for you. Family homestay throughout the whole semester along with directly enrolling in the Chilean University and taking class with Chileans gives you a wonderful opportunity to delve into the culture and improve your Spanish like crazy. Also, you live in the ocean - beautiful!

CIEE in Valpo + Viña

Overall I would recommend CIEE, but it had some weaknesses along with its strengths. My program was a lot bigger than I'd expected (60 kids). The administration was kind and helpful, but there wasn't a lot of group cohesion. You won't learn much in your classes (probably) but it's a good balance of taking classes at the local university with Chileans and with other international students. Home placement were generally good but you'll probable end up in Viña del Mar and not Valparaiso. CIEE set me up with an awesome volunteer opportunity -- their student workers are a great resource. The group trip to Pucon is a fun time and the program is cheaper than most. Valparaiso is a gorgeous, unique, and interesting city. Expect more autonomy on this program as compared to others.

I didn't get as much cultural immersion as I thought I would.

I didn't get as much cultural immersion as I thought I would but learned a ton outside of class and had tons of fun. I am definitely glad I did it and wouldn't trade it for anything even though it was very difficult at times.