CIEE Header Image CIEE Header Image

CIEE Business, Economics + Culture in Madrid, Spain

Madrid spring 2016

Wow. Madrid. What an incredible city. I travelled to Madrid in the Spring of 2016 for a full semester of classes through CIEE and the Universidad Carlos III. While there, I lived with an incredible host family that was organized through CIEE, and I made a lot of friends through the program and the CIEE Spanish Student Network right off the bat. Even more, I became friends with the super cool, incredibly helpful, hilarious, and enjoyable staff at CIEE. In general, you'll find everyone in Madrid, and Spain in general, is incredibly friendly. Madrid has all sorts of things to enjoy, from massive manicured parks, Egyptian temples, fantastic art, theater, and food, definitely fantastic food. You'll find hundreds of people eating outside whenever the weather makes it above 15 (celsius), which is most days. The cafe, market, and general food scene is great. There are trains to take you just about wherever you want to go, though you really could never leave Madrid and still have plenty to do. If you do leave, there are lots of good flights out of Madrid Barajas (I flew roundtrip to London for 70 euros), and many trains as well. The nightlife in Madrid is unlike any other, and you can literally stay out until the sun comes up most nights of the week/end. To top all that experience off, I learned an incredible amount of Spanish in my course, and mostly by immersion, and took three other classes that satisfied requirements for my Mechanical Engineering degree. This experience was one of a lifetime, and I highly encourage you to participate.

My fall 2016 experience

CIEE Madrid was the most enriching experience. I had an amazing host family, who I can proudly say are true family to me now. CIEE administration and faculty were extremely helpful and understanding with everything. The planned brilliant cultural immersion trips in Madrid and around Spain.

The opportunity to study in classes with Spaniards helped me make so many Spanish and international friends, better understand the culture and improve my Spanish tremendously. The faculty at the University of Carlos Tercero were also very good. It's a truly wholesome experience that CIEE gives you. Definitely recommend the program!

Madrid fall 2016

I had an exceptional experience with CIEE Madrid this Fall 2016 semester. Between the other students in the program, many of whom I know will be life-long friends of mine, to the supportive CIEE program directors and staff members, I am so happy that I chose to study with CIEE. Any time I had a question or an issue they were very responsive and helpful, even if the issue was not of an easy caliber. On top of that, the "free" (paid for through your tuition) excursions were so much fun! My group was on the smaller side, and I got the chance to get to know a lot of them better as a result of these trips. The trips were very thoughtfully planned and a lot of fun; some of my favorite moments abroad came from them. The best part is everything is completely taken care of for you which makes enjoying the city/culture/trip that much easier. Studying at a local university also was a fun and different experience for me. It was a great way to meet local students on top of practicing my Spanish language skills (which improved a lot during my time abroad). I also had incredible host parents with an incredible roommate. CIEE did a great job putting me in a situation that enabled me to succeed and take advantage of all that Madrid had to offer. Over-all I am very pleased with my time abroad and am very happy that I ultimately chose to study abroad with CIEE.