OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

CLI Abroad - Immerse Yourself in Language and Culture

Life changing

One of my best experiences with language learning. At first I was somewhat apprehensive but CLI had us well prepared before departure. I enjoyed myself greatly and the staff made sure our trip was uneventful. We went to multiple sites, interacted with students from various backgrounds and had time for daily lessons.

CLI program review

Chinese Language Institute is the best school for learning Mandarin that I can imagine. In just four months there I experienced more progress in my language skills than I had even hoped for, and through the many immersion opportunities in the community and trips that CLI organizes, I left with a wealth of meaningful experiences and a deepr appreciation of the culture and people. The one-on-one model that CLI uses is a high performance learning machine that you can fine tune to your own style and learning needs that allows your language learning to progress to your maximum potential.

CLI is like a high performance custom learning machine. 1 on 1 instruction from experienced teachers means you learn at your own rate in the manner most effective and efficient for you.

I chose to live in an apartment with two native Chinese grad students and could not have been happier with the immersion experience that afforded me.

The program does an excellent job exposing you to Chinese culture and taking you into the community to engage with the people and experience the rich culture first hand.

The program is well run with a no-nonsense managerial style. If you ever have any issues the program will address them promptly.

I never felt unsafe.

Social Life:
In Guilin you can find all the same things (bars, cafes, restuarants, parks, etc.) that you can find in a major city but with a smaller community feel.

A Change of Perspective

My plan had always been to study abroad for a semester in Ireland or the UK. And up until the last week of the deadline that was going to be the case. But then someone at the Virginia Tech study abroad office told me to look into CLI and I was immediately struck by the appeal. I took the plunge into a language and culture that was completely unfamiliar to me. CLI did not disappoint. My semester spent abroad in China completely changed my outlook on life because I began to see two completely different perspectives. The teachers at CLI not only taught me the basics on the language, they opened up on Chinese society which puzzled and wondered me all at once. The friends that I met, the knowledge that I acquired, and the perspective I gained while living in Guilin have completely changed my life for the better.

The one on one time with CLI teachers were an invaluable tool and allowed me to progress in the language far more than I did in a classroom setting at Virginia Tech.

I always felt safe and at home in my one person dorm. It was far better than any dorm I stayed in back in the States.

CLI made a huge emphasis in learning outside of the classroom in addition to inside the classroom. There were two excursions that were included in my semester abroad and I never missed a chance to explore around Guilin and beyond. These experiences of traveling around China and getting a firsthand look on the culture was the most memorable part of my semester abroad.

I cannot say enough regarding the CLI staff. Starting with Bradford and Robbie and on down; I was always comfortable and included on sorts of events at CLI. Every teacher, whether my own or not, treated me like family.

There was never a time in Guilin or China where I felt unsafe.

Social Life:
I had most everything that I would use back in America including restaurants, bars, movie theaters, gym, and basketball courts.

View detailed rating

Every night I stare at the map of Guilin on my bedroom wall, waiting for the chance to go back.

I honestly went into a fun withdrawal when I came back to the States after a semester in Guilin. In four months, I picked up more Mandarin than I ever thought possible, shattering my initial expectations, and I made friendships that surpassed distance and culture. Choosing to live with a homestay family was the decision I am most proud of. I ate the most native food that you can't find anywhere else and had the privilege of getting to know my homestay mom deeply. We had many talks after dinner about family, China's history, and Guilin - half of which I understood. But it was nonetheless a beautiful experience. CLI was truly a family, inside and outside the building. The teachers worked hard to cater to the things I wanted to learn and often went beyond their regular requirements to help me understand. Meeting the diverse students was another rewarding experience - people from Germany, France, Spain, Australia, the United States, and Tahiti. it was great learning, growing, and making mistakes together. It's been a year and half since I came back and I still miss Guilin dearly. I know reviews like this are common but believe me when I say that going to Guilin will be a decision that you will treasure.

wonderful teachers, they were always prepared for class with material that I specifically asked for, always pushing me while encouraging me. Learning from the teachers not only came from within the CLI building but also from outside its walls while eating travelling together.

The best experience of my trip was living with my homestay family. My homestay mother truly became my second mom while I lived in the house and we became great friends. Also ate the best native Chinese food that you can't find in the States.

CLI helped connect me to many opportunities that immersed me into the culture - through CLI, I tutored a middle school student and had the chance to meet the family and eat with them as well. Tutoring also required me to ride the local bus and truly experience everyday life of Guilin, China

always quick and responsive to my needs (I didn't have very many)

I was very safe the entire trip.

Social Life:
Many students at CLI who live in the school building and nearby, don't have to worry about being lonely.

View detailed rating

CLI is a top-notch language and culture immersion experience unlike any other in China.

CLI is the solution to the dry, impersonal, often bureaucratic language learning offered in big-city universities in China. In fact, CLI was founded by two American brothers with the specific intention of shifting the learning focus to immersion rather than impersonal classtime drilling. Though learning a language anywhere must incorporate "hitting the books", CLI strikes the perfect balance of "fun" learning by immersion, while still covering the fundamentals and mechanics. And it does this all with one-on-one attention for each student. CLI is a 24/7 personal learning experience. It's not a language classroom. And this is why it stands out above all other Chinese language learning institutions in China.

If the individual student is highly motivated (and close to all students who come to CLI are) the flexible academic system is perfect. So I give an A+ score. However, for the lazier breed of student, this flexibility can be hurtful because there's no clear top-down system of motivation imposed by CLI.

Relative to other dorm-style living arrangements in China, the living situation at CLI is excellent, definitely top notch. But in terms of international standard, there's definitely room for improvement, particularly in terms of western showers and laundry driers.

Across all of China, CLI is uniquely positioned for the most rewarding immersion experience. But students should be pushed more to immerse themselves, because it is possible to get caught in the CLI "foreigner trap" in which students only spend time with other students. Perhaps CLI could do more to arrange "immersive" activities.

Scheduling is organized and professional.

All of mainland China is very safe in relation to the West. Violent crime in China is low, particularly against foreigners.

Social Life:
It's tough to hit the perfect balance between study and play, but Guilin comes close. There's enough to do in the city to keep you entertained, but not so much that you'll be out every night. If you're into the club scene, you'll have your pick. But Chinese clubs are very different than western ones, and may not be your cup of tea. They are probably the number one place to meet local youths. As for pubs and bars, there are a number of western-style ones all around town, and they're excellent places to hang out and get some nostalgic western comfort food.

View detailed rating

My time at CLI was a refreshing and enriching experience that will stand as a highlight of my 2 years in China.

I would strongly recommend CLI to anyone interested in studying Chinese. The staff and teachers are all enthusiastic to make you feel like a special guest in their family. The city of Guilin provides a unique blend of historical and modern Chinese culture, standing apart from the East Coast image that is projected onto all of China. Lastly, the actually classes are very personal and can be easily oriented towards areas where you need practice.

I really liked the small classes. The teachers were very fun, and their willingness to talk/work/play with us outside of class made for a comfortable learning environment. One of the teachers we had, however, did not do a good job of adjusting to our specific needs as students who had already been living in China for a year. In other words, we already knew the basics of Chinese culture and practical Chinese, but since that is what he was used to teaching, he seemed to not adjust with new students.

The rooms were fantastic, the building was clean and well ordered, and the service was phenomenal.

I really enjoyed the extra activities offered by CLI. Also, the teachers were enthusiastic about just showing us the daily life of Guilin - drinking milk tea and playing tennis.

After spending a year in rural China, it was a breath of fresh air to deal with such efficient and effective people.

Perfectly safe.

Social Life:
The social life was great. It was very easy to meet some new people, hang out, and exchange ideas. It was only frustrating when we wanted to play ping-pong or majiang, and there was a class in the game room.

View detailed rating

Where else can you get complete Mandarin Immersion?

CLI’s greatest strength is the near complete immersion it can provide through the one-on-one lessons and
social activities. The individual lessons meant that I was able to tailor the syllabus to exactly what I wanted
to learn, so I could cover a wide variety of topics in the rather short 2 weeks I was at CLI, with the freedom
of no textbook. I liked how I was able to use the Mandarin I learnt almost immediately after class due to
CLI’s proximity to Guilin’s everyday life. It would have been good to stay longer with more time.

One-to-one lessons are unique as they were tailored exactly to how I wanted. I don't know of many other places which offer this at such competitive prices!

Very good facilities and rooms in convenient location of Guilin. It's not in the centre of the city but that is easily accessible by the buses leaving nearby. The rooms have ensuite and are v. comfortable.

In the 2 weeks I learnt more Mandarin than I did in a year of evening classes at university. I ensured the lessons were completely in Mandarin which means you can be near to completely immersed.

Very easy to arrange and contact Nancy, the Admissions Director. She answered all my questions and gave many tips.

Never had any problems safety wise in Guilin.

Social Life:
Activities organised almost every evening e.g badminton, volleyball, KTV trips & weekend trips to places outside of Guilin e.g Yangshuo. Of course, easy to do your own thing once you get orientated.

View detailed rating

The most effective and pleasurable way of really learning Mandarin and experiencing a genuine Chinese culture.

CLI is a true immersion in language and culture. Once with CLI, one would have to try hard to avoid learning Mandarin or experiencing a genuine Chinese culture. Before coming to CLI I researched several other courses throughout China (Beijing, Shanghai, Kunming, Qingdao, Dalian etc). CLI is in a completely different level. It's not just a course or program, it's a great experience.

Learning Mandarin: I was provided with quality teachers and completely customizable classes (adapted to my objectives, schedule, level of commitment etc)

Housing: Total peace of mind. CLI offered me very flexible housing options, such as living on/off campus, with/without local flatmate. My housing experience was seamless. I didn't have to worry about any of the thousands of small issues that one faces when looking for housing on their own, such as being ripped off by brokers, wi-fi, mean landlords etc. Just tell CLI what you need and they'll provide.

Cultural Immersion: Hanging out with the teachers outside the classroom and living with local students are unique differentials offered by CLI. I had the option of practicing Mandarin during 100% of my 'awake' hours. I had dinners in the home of teachers and their local friends, spent a weekend with one of the teacher's family in the country-side and traveled with locals to different cities in China. One would have to try hard to avoid a deep cultural immersion.

Quality teachers and completely customizable classes (adaptable to your objectives, schedule, teacher preferences etc)

In one word: Peace of mind. CLI offers very flexible options (living on/off campus, with/without local flatmate) and total support. My housing experience was seamless. I didn't have to worry about any of the thousands of small issues that one faces when looking for housing on their own, such as being ripped off by brokers, wi-fi, mean landlords etc. Just tell CLI what you need and they'll provide.

Very supportive in everything: visa, payment method, travel bureaucracy, student cards etc etc. It felt like everyone in the administration was accessible 24hs, providing personalized support. Again, seamless.

CLI thinks of everything and provides insurance.
Just be careful crossing the streets.

View detailed rating

Ready to embark on the experience of your lifetime?

CLI provided me with one of the best experiences of my life, and certainly the best travel, cultural, and learning experiences. I would recommend CLI and their program to anyone who is interested in learning and immersing themselves in Chinese language and culture.

I was part of a small three student group and academics were clearly our priority on our three week trip. Each and every experience offered a learning opportunity. I can think of no better way to learn Chinese than to tour with this organization who puts so much detail and focus into Chinese language and culture immersion.

The dorm I stayed in at Guanxi was excellent. Perfectly safe location and close to so many restaurants and shops. We woke up to the most beautiful view of the mountains each morning in Guilin! There wasn't wifi available, but it was close to many wifi cafes.
The hostels we stayed in in Yangshuo, Shanghai, and Beijing were also perfect, much nicer than many hotels I've ever stayed in!
My living situation was always safe and comfortable, and any additional concerns I had were heard and promptly taken care of by CLI staff.

Seeing four diverse cities in China was a cultural immersion dream come true. I felt much less like a tourist being with this group as we were led through China by true residents. This program truly immerses its students into Chinese culture every single day with every experience.

I could go on and on about how amazing the administrators of this program are, but to put it simply: this program wouldn't be the outstanding one it is without its exceptional administrators.

I never felt like my security was at risk on this trip. My belongings and the facilities we visited always felt very safe. The Chinese people constantly give the impression of genuine niceness, which adds to the feeling of safety.

Social Life:
The social life can be a bit of a culture shock in China. You've never seen so many people so obsessed with karaoke bars. That being said, we had an amazing time going out at night in China with the group and always felt included. A good time was ALWAYS had on this tour, day and night!

Wonderful experience

our four months study program ,so far, have been most rewarding both academically and culturally.Most highly recommended to persons interested in having a complete Chinese immersion programme

Teachers are all first rate and their dedication to their profession is most highly appreciated.

Living in a rented apartment which does largely espond to my wife and mine needs.

Although much is done ,an additional activity ,if possible,will be appreciated.

No words to describe the administration help which is most highly appreciated.

None.

Social Life:
The CLI is doing a lot to relate to the the social needs of it's student body.

Immersion

The immersion experience was awesome partly because western managers let you go in only as far as your current level of ability.

two teachers were exceptional and customised the contnet and lessons to suit our learning styles

I was very comfortable in my own room but it was a bonus to be in a dorm and always have friendly people around.

I connected with lots of the locals around us. Buying an electric bicycle added to the experience with lots of freedom to travel around and explore.

Robbie and all the staff worked hard to anticipate and meet all our needs

Social Life:
I wasn't there for social life but what there was was great. I was only there a short time so I would have preferred more day trips during the week.

View detailed rating

An all-around fantastic language center and experience!

Overall, my stay at CLI was incredibly enjoyable. The building they have is a great atmosphere, near sports facilities, not far from the river (where it's clean enough to swim), and only a short bus ride away from Yangshuo, perhaps the most beautiful place in China I have seen to date. More importantly, the training you get at the center is fantastic. The teachers are accustomed to the learning styles of the non-Chinese brand, speak standard Mandarin (as opposed to heavy dialects) and really seem like they want to see you improve during your stay. I would highly recommend this language center to Mandarin learners of any level, to those who want to get to know more about Chinese culture and to people who love to travel!

The teachers at CLI were extremely prepared and willing to help. I found that they are more prepared for lower level students because I don't think many intermediate speakers go through the program, but all of my teachers were completely willing to adapt to my needs (even as a student who reads Hanzi, but does not write it). I was very impressed.

The living situation is great at CLI, and was nicer than many hotels I've stayed at in China. There are great places to lounge around outside of your room in case you want to meet other learners, as well as plenty to do (ping pong table, computers, T.V., an enormous kitchen, travel books, language books, etc.). You'll never be bored or uncomfortable!

I had been living in 'rural' China for a year before coming to the school, so there wasn't much I needed in terms of cultural immersion; however, at the beginning of our stay they gave us a great packet with all of the important information they could condense down. Since I've been living here, I feel I can say that the information they try to teach you about China and its culture is extremely valuable.

The administration was very helpful and relaxed. Anything you need, they are there to help. Overall, I was extremely impressed with what they've set up in Guilin and a little jealous I didn't do it first!

You have locks on your doors as well as a key to get into the building. I always felt very safe inside the building, as well as walking around the town at night. I never had a moment of feeling unsafe––the very notion never crossed my mind.

Social Life:
It would be hard to leave this language center without making any friends. There are tons of places to socialize and study. Whether you want to stay inside or go out, there is plenty to do. In terms of what the language center provides, there are lots of rooms to hang out in, read, play ping pong, wash clothes, watch T.V. or movies, and talk with others to get great information about where to travel next. If you are looking to head out, they give you a great map of the city and point of some of the coolest locations in town.

I want to go back.

I can't recommend CLI enough. The teaching is outstanding, largely in part because the teachers seem to understand how I learn and were quick to adjust to my level. They are focused but flexible. The living conditions are excellent, particularly if you've been living in China. The building is designed in such a way that whenever you leave your room, you're hearing and speaking Chinese. Everyone there is patient and helpful, invested in your learning Chinese and enjoying your time.

I had classes with three different teachers. My integrated Chinese and oral Chinese teachers were excellent and well-prepared. I had a few problems with the writing class, in part because I felt the teacher could have been better prepared. Overall, though, the teaching was excellent and flexible.

Better than I could have imagined. The rooms are well-designed for both study and relaxation. The furniture, facilities, etc. were all in great shape and very clean.

The thought put into cultural immersion is impressive. There are always Chinese speakers around willing and eager to engage you in conversation, allowing you to practice what you have learned. Teachers were also willing to go on small field trips to medicinal markets or make sure we knew how to get somewhere in the town.

Again, very helpful. It's clear many people have put a lot of thought into the smallest of details, and administrators were around if we needed any help or just wanted to chat.

Excellent. I felt comfortable the entire time.

Social Life:
I was there with many friends I had not seen in months, so we spent all our time together. However, there were many organized activities we could have easily joined.

Can't Imagine a Better Way to Learn Chinese

I spoke ZERO Chinese before arriving at CLI. Not even a "nihao." Now, about 2 months into my immersion program, I'm holding conversations with shopkeepers and taxi drivers. It's amazing. CLI's one-on-one method of teaching in THE BEST learning experience I've ever had in a language. The facility is beautiful, warm and welcoming - it feels like a home. The staff is friendly, encouraging, and are truly top-notch teachers. I cannot recommend CLI highly enough for anyone who wants to learn Chinese in China. Do it. Seriously.

View detailed rating

CLI is really a superior Chinese language learning center!

I have done two of the Chinese Language Institute's programs, a Study Tour and the Immersion Program. CLI is more than just a study abroad organization, it's a community-based learning center. I was never afraid to practice my Chinese, whether it was on the street with a shopkeeper or in the kitchen with CLI's cook. I did not know a word of Chinese when I first stepped foot inside CLI's door, but now I can hold conversations with nearly everyone I meet. CLI's location in Guilin is so much more conducive to learning Chinese than studying in a city like Shanghai or Beijing. Guilin helps you learn, whereas big, westernized cities allow you to use English as a crutch. The Chinese Language Institute could not have provided me with a better experience.

The CLI Immersion Program enabled me to have the best of both worlds. I had two hours of comprehensive group class every day and two hours of one-on-one need-based class every day. The group classes facilitate conversation, while the one-on-one classes allowed my teachers to really focus on my specific needs.

The CLI facility is set up dorm-style. This is great because the building not only houses students, but teachers and staff as well. This fosters a sense of community that you can't find everywhere. Having the teachers around all the time gives students non-stop opportunities to practice their Mandarin and really enables them to never stop learning.

The Chinese Language Institute is in Guilin, Guangxi, a southern city in the PRC. Guilin is the happy medium between urban city and rural countryside. The people are very welcoming and are not to caught up in their own busy lives, like they might be in cities like Shanghai and Beijing, to help you with your Chinese. In Guilin, it is easy to feel comfortable enough to go out on your own and talk with a shopkeeper or a taxi driver. CLI's location makes it ideal for cultural immersion. You can live in Guilin. There are enough western amenities to keep westerners from getting homesick, but there is still a feeling of being a world away, being completely inundated with Chinese language and culture.

CLI takes all of the guesswork and worry out of planning a study trip to China. They made me feel comfortable and safe the whole way through.

A Much-Needed

I was very impressed with CLI from beginning to end. They guide you through the entire process and make it all very simple. Whether you are a veteran traveler or new to the whole concept of international exploration, CLI will have you covered. In terms of language training, I think CLI has nearly perfected the process. They provide one-on-one training with native speakers, many of whom have years of experience. Each instructor then tailors the process in adapting to the unique needs of each student. I learned more studying three weeks at CLI than I did in an entire semester at university. I could not recommend them more.

View detailed rating

A very accomodating study abroad experience.

CLI works with students to identify what the student expects from a China Study Abroad program, and will provide the appropriate lessons and immersion experiences. Hence, students have the freedom to take advantage of a very unique study abroad experience in the beautiful city of Guilin.

I thought the staff was excellent, very willing to work with students to deliver lessons best suited for one's experience in China.

Clean, comfortable, and a very convenient location in Guilin!

Students were able to take advantage of frequent access to teachers, and the school planned many field trips outside of the school to the countryside around Guilin and Yangshuo.

Very helpful and accomodating.

Never felt unsafe.

Guilin is a fun city.

View detailed rating

A wonderful opportunity to learn Chinese in a supportive and fun environment

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at CLI and only wish it had been longer. The staff and students were all wonderful, and everyone did their upmost to make sure my experience was a positive one. I would highly recommend CLI to anyone considering studying Chinese in china.

I was really pleased with the pace and content of the lessons- as I wasn't there very long I wanted to learn as much as possible and really felt that the teachers helped me do that.

The room was very comfortable and I had everything I needed for a two-week stay.

I had hoped that the might have been a little bit more organised by the school. My teachers, especially fei fei who took us for Chinese massages and to eat Chinese food, were excellent at filling me in on Chinese culture, and i was lucky enough to be there for the yangshuo trip whichcwas fantastic, but there didn't seem to be too much on a school level-except for the weekly Chinese culture class. I had hoped for instance that the film night would have been a Chinese film and a chance to learn a bit about Chinese cinema.

Everything ran incredibly smoothly and I'm so impressed by the way the program is administered to such a high standard

I never felt unsafe at CLI, on the contrary I felt that there were lots of people around ready to help if you needed anything

Social Life:
I loved the social life at CLI and made some good friends, but a lot of it did seem to be organised by individuals rather than the school.

Wonderful and Unique Chinese Study Abroad

CLI is a great and unique program and you are guaranteed to improve your Chinese language skills if you attend. The community at CLI is close-knit and friendly. And its location in Guilin is great for immersing yourself in Chinese culture. Guilin is a smaller city and the foreigner population is much smaller than in Beijing or Shanghai, so there are plenty of opportunities to interact with Chinese culture and use what you learn first hand.

Classes were challenging, and teachers will helpful, knowledgeable, and knew how to teacher foreigners.

Rooms were clean, comfortable and well stocked.

Teachers are all Chinese nationals and CLI organized different excursion on a regular basis.

Administrators were wonderful! Efficient, friendly, professional and quick to respond.

CLIs facilities are locked at night and there are several entrance codes needed to gain full access.

Social Life:
The community at CLI is relatively small and close-knit, which is great. There are plenty of common areas at CLIs facilities so there are lots of places to hang out.

View detailed rating

Great environment, great people, great experience

I really enjoyed the fact that you lived and studied in the same cozy building. You don't just go to class and go home. You go to class, hang out with your teachers and classmates, meet lots of other people from all over the world who are also eager to practice their Chinese, and explore the city and travel together. Accommodations are very comfortable. Everyone is super helpful. Rob is an awesome guy.

Social Life:
So many interesting people from all over the world. Made a lot of friends very quickly.

View detailed rating

The Chinese Language Institute is great!

The Chinese Language Institute is probably the best Chinese Language School in China. Three separate instructors, Western person ownership and administration.

View detailed rating

Very professional language service for excellent price.

My stay at CLI was definitely worth it. The language instruction was excellent and in depth and it was very affordable. Also, staying at CLI made my experience basically stress-free.

Great experience

Great people to work with, really go out of their way to make sure your experience is top notch and that you get great value for your money

Never felt unsafe or that CLI employees didn't have a good handle on a situation

Social Life:
Everyone from CLI was fun and friendly. They all have different personalities which allowed students to go and do pretty much anything they were interested socially.

Flexible accommodation

This institute is highly recommended because you could request your needs such as duration and financial issues and they will make your lesson schedule accordingly. The staff is very reliable; some people live in the same building, so help is easily accessible. The accommodation is very convenient and clean, which I considered the most important among all the aspects.

I think the writing class could've been better if the teacher gave us more "writing" or composition assignments or Chinese character lessons.

It's very clean - which I think is the most important aspect.

it is very easy to lock oneself up in his/her room.

I have two keys - one for the main door and the other for my room. I felt very safe while staying there. However, you do have to be careful when you are out by yourself (as you should be wherever you are), because the neighborhood is pretty dark

Social Life:
I wish I stayed longer to enjoy activities organized by the institute.

2012 Summer at CLI

I was with a small group and CLI was able to be very helpful. The classes were led by excellent instructors who were always friendly and patient and effective. The living areas were always clean and cool for the summer. I really enjoyed the location, which was close enough to the city center but far enough that I was bothered by traffic. Plus, there's a lady nearby who makes the best mango smoothie.

My teachers were excellent, some of the best I have had while in China. They always went out of their way to teach in a way that was beneficial for our group.

Excellent. Very comfortable and much better than my home here in China.

My g/f sprained her ankle and so we didn't get to go out. But there were many things advertised.

Everyone was quick to help and make sure we could get to where we needed.

Very safe, and in a good neighborhood.

Social Life:
I met a few people and they were all nice.