Child Family Health International Header Image Child Family Health International Header Image

Rural/Urban Himalayan Rotation, India

CFHI Himalayan Rotation

My goals for the time in India were to obtain an understanding of the very complex Indian healthcare system and improve my Hindi skills. Both of these goals I was able to accomplish with my Hindi reaching the level of being able to interview patients towards the end of my time there. I have visited India many times in the past, but usually in the comfort of my grandparents’ large home in the metropolis of New Delhi. This time, I was able to see the country in a new light.

CFHI truly allowed me to truly get a taste of the many different levels of Indian healthcare. I was able to see patients in the city with hypertension all the way to patients in small villages who had been in farming accidents. With my Hindi skills and knowledge of the culture I began to connect with the Indian patient population. I was able to understand their problems and complaints in the greater context of Indian society and values. I was also able to closely see the many issues like pollution and poverty that plague India and became resolved to help in a more meaningful way as I develop the skills to become involved in global health in the future.

Learning about healthcare in India

CFHI organized the program so that I truly got a feel for the great variety that exists in Indian healthcare. I met patients from city who had hypertension and the patients from the village who had been involved in farming accidents. I was able to connect with the Indian patient population. I began to understand their problems and complaints in the greater context of Indian society and values. I was also able to closely see the many issues like pollution and poverty that plague India and became resolved to help in a more meaningful way as I develop the skills to become involved in global health in the future.