Child Family Health International Header Image Child Family Health International Header Image

Intensive Beginner Spanish and Healthcare in Oaxaca, Mexico

A wonderful experience in the beautiful Oaxaca!

I loved my trip to Oaxaca, Mexico with CFHI! The organization is very well run- they were there for me every step of the way and helped me organize all of my travel plans, and ease any of my pre-travel concerns. They even offer scholarships, which is a great opportunity for those who need a little extra help funding their trip! Oaxaca is a beautiful city to visit, lots of unique culture! My Spanish school and homestay exceeded my expectations! Seeing different aspects of their healthcare system was also really rewarding and got me thinking a lot about what I want my next steps in healthcare to be! All in all, I would definitely recommend CFHI, and this program!

My adventure in Oaxaca, Mexico

Being apart of CFHI's Intensive Beginner Spanish and Healthcare program in Oaxaca, Mexico during the month of October 2013 was by far one the most amazing experiences I have had so far in my lifetime. I had a great time learning about the health system in Mexico and becoming more fluent in the Spanish language. Through CFHI's program I was able to gain a lot of first hand experience in Mexico's health system. I volunteered at a rehabilitation center where I was able to work with disabled children. Then I rotated through one of Oaxaca's hospitals and a clinic targeted towards the low-income population of Oaxaca. As a pre-med student I found the exposure to be really beneficial to anyone that hopes to one day work in the health field. Being able to see the similarities and differences between American and Mexico's health systems was an interesting comparison. One of my most memorable experiences I had through my rotations was being able to witness a child birth. Besides gaining insight on the health system and learning Spanish, exploring and just being in the city of Oaxaca was wonderful. The city is beautiful, full of culture, and easy to explore. Thank you CFHI for the awesome experience!!