CES Maastricht Header Image CES Maastricht Header Image

Maastricht University: Psychology & Neuroscience in Europe

The Best Way to Go Abroad

I am so fortunate I found myself at CES Maastricht for a full semester in their Psychology and Neuroscience Program. As a neuroscience major, I found the classes challenging and the teaching style completely different than that of my small liberal arts school, Trinity College. I loved the change! I learned more about myself as a student than I thought possible, as I was much more independent in making sure I had studied enough and did the work to the best of my ability. I found the way classes were taught, using problem based learning (PBL) was quite different than I was used to, but allowed me to really explore what specific subtopics I was interested in.
Outside of class, I found myself the unique opportunity to travel to several different places around Europe. Through CES, I was able to explore Berlin, Germany, Brussels and Ghent, Belgium, and of course, Amsterdam. Not only were the trips well organized and thoughtful, but each trip had one activity that was focused to each students specific study track. For example, as I am studying neuroscience, I was able to visit a psychiatry museum in Ghent and in Berlin, I had the unique and prominent opportunity to attend a talk given by a Professor at Maastricht University for other Maastricht Alumni. His talk was about his groundbreaking research and after the talk I was able to meet with him and through that connection I am currently working to pursue some research with him next. year. CES not only provided some travel opportunities but also great events for students to get to know each other and Maastricht. By the end of my time at Maastricht I felt I had met so many new people from all corners of the world. If I were able to go abroad again, I would make the same decision to go to Maastricht in a heart-beat.

Go Dutch or Go Home

I enjoyed every moment of my semester abroad in Maastricht, Netherlands. The psychology and neuroscience program made me think about the world perspective in this scientific research. The courses are challenging enough to keep you engage in the readings and discussions. The professors are emerged so well into their research that it becomes extremely inspiring. We also got to take a field trip with our program, and got to hear closely about neuroscience research and get a little bit of history on psychology through our visit to a museum in Gent. The program is flexible so you can also take other courses outside of neuroscience and through that I was able to take courses in Public Health.
My experience there was more than just academics though. I met people from around the world, and it really provided me with a more worldly perspective. Plus, I lived with people from all around the world who were also studying abroad. One of my favorite memories of my time there is that every Tuesday, the people I lived with would have family dinners, where we could cook traditional food from our country or just cook any type of food overall. It was a nice way to bond and get to know more about the people I lived with!