OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

Migration and Globalization: Engaging our Communities

View detailed rating

Best experience of my life!

A memorable experience? Impossible to pick just one. Traveling to Guatemala and El Salvador with the group maybe?

I chose the program because I wanted a social justice focused program in a Spanish speaking country.

For two months we stayed in the CEMAL houses which are across the street from each other. You have a shared room with one, two, or three roommates and shared, but private bathrooms. Nice common areas and lots of room to hang out, computer room, basketball courts, community kitchen. You get really close with the other students. In the middle of the semester you spend a month with a carefully chosen and trained host family in a nearby neighborhood. You have a private bedroom and shared bath with the host family. My host family was so loving and welcoming and invited me on all of their activities.

View detailed rating

Best experience of my life!

What an incredible time in my life-- I would go back in a heartbeat! I am still in touch with several of the lifelong friends I made during my semester in Mexico. The two houses are beautiful and it's an awesome neighborhood. I had the absolute best family for the home stay-- although all of my cohort would have said that about their families! I felt intellectually challenged and was exposed to so many new ideas and ways of thinking. With one exception, the staff were absolutely incredible and I always felt safe and looked out for. (This was such a sharp contrast from the other semester I spent abroad with a large cookie cutter study abroad program where the American advisers were hardly ever around and didn't follow up in emergency situations.) I did have one issue with a staff member there who just didn't have very good social skills and said a few things that offended me, but I'm not sure if she's still there.

Abroad excellence

CGE Mexico was a fantastic experience from start to finish. The opportunities and experiences in which they made possible went beyond learning into life changing. I am truly grateful for the time I spent in Mexico, the people I was able to meet, and the experiences I was fortunate enough to have.

Enriching

Mexico has changed my life. Everything I have learned here, about a different culture, about social issues, and also about myself has completely flipped my world. Between the classes, the guest speakers, the excursions and the two different home stays I feel that I have gotten as much out of this experience that I possibly could in four months. This is a great program and I hope that it continues to be available for years to come.

Come Back in a Heart Beat

If I had the opportunity to study abroad with Center for Global Education I would come back in a heart beat. I loved the home stays, the classes, and the weekend excursions/opportunities. At times it could improve on organization, but overall this has been a wonderful experience.

9 Overall Rating

View detailed rating

CGE is an amazing program

CGE really offers one of the most high-quality study abroad programs here in Mexico. We got to meet a lot of guest speakers and I got to learn a lot more about immigration, social issues, and politics in Mexico. What I want to highlight and want you to take advantage of is the internship course, where a student can do an internship but at the same time get credits in various majors: business, biology, history, political science, etc. If you want to dramatically improve your Spanish, this class is a must. You will get to interact with local Mexicans, and learn to adapt to a new working culture.
In addition, the staff are super friendly and accessible. CGE seriously strives to provide employment to local Mexicans and treats them very well.

9 Overall Rating

Pretty nice.

CGE has been a fantastic experience. The school and its faculty are very well established in the communities they work with, and provide outstanding opportunities for cultural experiences, internships, and excursions that do an excellent job of putting classes in context. I traveled Mexico in 2009, and can really appreciate the uniqueness of many of the opportunities provided by CGE.

The professors I have had have been phenomenal. I can't find a single bad thing to say. Beware, the course of study is in fact rigorous. You won't be drinking tequila and dancing every night, however, I have really learned a lot. There were some complaints from other students about their professors, but that's the same in any school - abroad or at home. I think the vast majority have been satisfied with the quality of instruction.

My only complaint, which didn't affect my rating much as it is somewhat specific to myself, is that I wish the school would have made a stronger effort to involve us with more local people that are within our age group. It's somewhat hard to make local friends here without blowing off school work or going out alone. At times, the program and campus felt a little closed off to the rest of the community. However, I have spent a significant amount of time traveling and feel totally comfortable stepping outside of "the bubble". I think the nature of the campus and program was quite helpful for other students who were out of the country for their first time.

All in all, it's like anything else where the experience is what you make of it. I would highly recommend CGE to someone who hopes to go abroad. If I were to take another semester abroad, I would strongly consider a program which would send me directly to a local university.

7 Overall Rating

Cool

This program has been a brilliant experience. I would have liked to see more communication, and for the program to be more punctual on time. I understand that there is a cultural time frame difference, but schedules should be precise. The schedules sometimes came late in the week and it would be better if the students received them earlier so we can plan our own endeavors around the schedule. The faculty and staff is really accommodating and it gives the students have a sense of safety, which is great! A recommendation I have is to maybe have some of the guest speakers only speak for an hour rather than two. Sometimes the talks seem to be very long and the message could be portrayed in a much shorter time. I think that the wide variety of cultural experience and exposure is fantasia tic! I've learned so much about the culture and myself in the process.

6 Overall Rating

View detailed rating

Enganging with community, speakers, academics, and common daily life allowed for a overall learning and experiential atmosphere.

I enjoyed the fact that we were not learning in the classroom, but also aside of it. The speakers, field trips, videos, etc., complimented with our learning material and made it much easier to learn, identify, and become aware of cultural, social, economic, political, etc. differences. I enjoyed having our final projects through which I learned a lot with my peers. Though, one of my suggestions for them would be to test students before placing them in the Spanish classes because sometimes higher level students are placed with those of lower level, which makes it kind of frustrated, boring, and sometimes slow to learn. As well, having more of an emphasis of ways to cope when coming back home would be helpful even though it is talked about. The staff is very nice and respectful, and they make you want to smile when they greet you :). On-call and processes in case of an emergency should be improved a little.