A woman on top of a mountain A woman on top of a mountain

Summer Language & Culture

Excellent place to study abroad

Between the Spanish language school, home stay, and internship sites this program does a great job with allowing you to be immersed in the culture and learn a new language according to your specific interests.

Spanish language in Cuernavaca

My experience in Cuernavaca was unforgettable! I not only learned so much from my professors, but my host family, the community, the staff, and my peers were great teachers too. If you get the chance, Cuernavaca will open your eyes and your heart to a second family and home you never knew you had.

Augburg CGE Mexico Summer Program

I absolutely loved the summer program in Cuernavaca! Being a Spanish minor, I was hoping to improve my speaking and fluency skills. Its amazing how after 6 short weeks I could speak easily and effortlessly with locals and other staff! Although I was only in Cuernavaca for 6 weeks, I would have loved to stay longer. If my Chemistry and Biology Majors allowed it, I would stay for a whole semester! I had the time of my life working in the local hospitals and health clinics. It really opened my eyes to healthcare in poorer communities in foreign countries. I most definitely want to return to Mexico and even Cuernavaca very soon. I made some relationships that I know will last a lifetime. I would love to keep volunteering at Hospital Parres and maybe even return next summer.

I loved my stay here it was a great learning experience.

I loved my stay here. The environment was great and the program really takes a lot of time to teach you about the Mexican culture and history. It is a great spanish immersion program. I came here with no prior spanish experience and I am leaving being able to communicate with Mexicans. Overall, I would definitely recommend this program to anyone interested in having a great experience.

Summer 2016 study abroad in Cuernavaca, Mexico

I originally chose this program solely for the opportunity of an internship in the hospital. Not only did I learn a lot in my internship, but living and being apart of the community there changed my life.

Vida en Cuernavaca

excellent I really learned so much and spent a great time being immersed in the culture of Mexico, specifically Cuernavaca. The staff and teachers were all amazing and I really hope I can go back in the near future.

Helpful staff, lovely city

I had an overall great experience in Cuernavaca with CGE. The staff has been doing this for many years, and there were different folks to go to if you needed any support or advice. The school aspect was great as well, I learned a lot, and had a huge amount of personal attention in class. One thing I think the program could do better is communication, as sometimes things were a bit blurry, and also a more one on one meeting about how your adjustment is going would have been nice, since there is an element of culture shock.

CGE Program Summer 2014

I have heard that CGE has GREAT programs during the spring and fall. However the summer can be pretty slow. Only a few students (5) were around and the usual social justice / political / community activism focus of the program was kind of on summer break along with a lot of the staff. I know CGE has really structured, informative and intriguing things planned for students during other parts of the year, but this summer i felt largely adrift and on my own, disconnected from other students mostly here to live up the "being in Mexico for summer fun!" vibe or experience an "Extended Spring break!" Because of the disconnectedness of the students that ended being here for the summer, I felt like the value of the interesting excursions or insightful speakers we had was lost; there just wasn't a strong group of people that wanted to have follow up discussions or take something meaningful away from the experience. I eventually learned more how to connect and make more meaningful experiences on my own, as there are plenty of opportunities like that in Cuernavaca, but for a first-time travel-abroad-er without a very structured program, i ended up floundering for a long time.

BUT, people tell me that i should come back in the spring; that i would fit much better with the Social Work and Migration and Globalization students that come to CGE every spring, when CGE is alive and buzzing with many more students, and many more conversations and classes about social and political happenings in Cuernavaca and in the world.
I'll think about it...