A woman on top of a mountain A woman on top of a mountain

Crossing Borders: Gender and Social Change in Mesoamerica

Mexico

My experience in Mexico has been interesting, amazing and though. I have been challenged in so many more ways than I ever could have imagined. I am so thankful for this experience, even if it has been really hard and I would never exchange it for anything.

Find Your Calling. Go Abroad.

This is my review on my study abroad experience in Mexico. I chose the Center for Global Education and Experience´s Social Change in Latin America program. This program was very life changing. Choose CGEE´s Social Change in Latin America!

• Center for Global Education and Experience, Augsburg College responded to this review December 07, 2015 at 9:32 AM

We are so happy to hear every time a student has a life changing experience – that is definitely what we were going for! Thanks for the review!

CGEE Team, globaled@augsburg.edu

What A Great Opportunity!

Wouldn't change this opportunity for anything else, because I'm happy with it. Transfering to Augsburg dedicated to trying knew things and studying abroad was one thing I wanted to give it a try. I DID!

• Center for Global Education and Experience, Augsburg College responded to this review December 07, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Happy to hear you did give it a try, and were happy with it! Thanks for the review, be sure to keep in touch after you return home.

Spring semester in Cuernavaca

Planning to spend a semseter in Mexico was not my first choice but after being here and experiencing everything, I am glad to have decided to come here. There were some ups and downs but overall, it was a very educational experience. I met so many great people and learned new things that I would not have thought about previously. Here in Mexico not only did I find education I also found adventure.

Life Changing Experience

Living in Mexico was one of the most incredible experiences of my life, and I never once regretted it. During the program, one learns how to become a global citizen, and gets an idea of how the world functions. This program was one of the most educational experiences of my life and I will never forget it.

A Semester in Cuernavaca

The location was great primarily because of the people but also because of the good weather and feel of the city. Its not too big or too small and is a wonderful place meet people. It makes for a relaxing and meaningful semester of intimacy with another culture.

Amazing experience

I think it was an amazing experience. Everybody who works there give the best of them to have everything organized and well prepared. I love the food, even though i am a meat lover sometimes

Abroad in Mexico

CGE was a good program. I really enjoy coming here. I learn many things abour Mexico, especially about women and gender issues. The program has a lot of excurcions, so we had the opportunity to visit different places close to Cuernavaca. I love the weather.

MEXICO

This was a great experience, I especially like my Keystone course. I learned a lot about myself and I also improve on some personal skills such as learning how to instruct a class lab group.

Outside the Classroom

I learned both outside and inside the classroom. My beliefs and innate prejudices were challenged, and I believe this is the whole reason to attend college. There was also ample down time to continue my cross country training, seeing as the weather is 80 degrees year round and sunny. This program comes highly recommended, especially from a cross country runner's point of view!

Life changing experience

The whole time here has been meriories on top of memories, and it will be imposible to forget my time here in Cuarnavaca. The staff was great, and they allowed us to expand our knowledge tenfold while ive been here. I could not be happier with my experience.

Absolutely incredible

This program went above and beyond my expectations. A combination of homestays, excursions, speakers, readings, and class discussion made this program a complete hands-on experience. I have never learned so much in one semester in my entire college career. This program gave me the opportunity to examine complex social, economic, and political issues in the US and in Mexico. I would highly recommend this program to anyone.

Overall Evaluations

Overall, I believe the administration did an excellent job communicating about changes and organizing events/activities. Committed and genuinely concerned about students. Schedules are fine however I would prefer them confirmed and secured in advance.

Great experience!

I highly recommend this program. We talked openly about hard questions in classes, and we were also able to have an amazing cultural experience with wonderful host families. The staff is very open to conversation, and the structure of the program--with amazing speakers and excursions throughout--is great.

• Center for Global Education and Experience, Augsburg College responded to this review December 07, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear you enjoyed the structure and were not afraid of the hard questions. We pride ourselves on being challenging, pushing students to grow, but also having room for fun. Thanks for a great semester, keep in touch!

Great Semester

I must admit that this was a great semester and experience. The staff here in Mexico was always supportive to any of the students needs. Every excursion and speaker was relevant to our main focus, and we learned a lot. This is not a luxury abroad experience where you will get away with not speaking the language, and partying. This is a life changing experience. You meet real people. You hear real stories. You see the real world, outside of the one we are all so used to. Also, it will not be easy. It will test every level of comfort, whether you’ve been all around the world or this is your first time traveling. We went to so many beautiful places, and met so many wonderful people. Living with a host family can be scary, and everyone’s experience is different. However, it was one of the best parts for me. I came to Mexico, with little to no Spanish, and I was terrified to live with strangers. However, I met a family outside of my own, and I will never forget all the love that I felt. This trip has changed my life and my perspective forever. It was definitely worth every minute.

Una Programa Mexicana

Que Bueno! I came out of this program a new person, with a new global perspective. The staff were always ready to help with anything and everything. The location is perfect for traveling to various places in Mexico and experiencing both rural and urban ways of life. The community is safe and close. There is a nightlife for those who like to go out and the dancing scene here is far better than any place in the states. The people are friendly and the food is to die for!

This was a great experience!

I loved this program. It was very educational. I learned a lot about myself as well as Mexico! I would recommend this to anyone!

CGE Mexico: Lifechanging experience

Studying abroad in Cuernavaca has enriched and changed my life. Through classes and excursions I have learned about Mexican culture and history which also have forced me to evaluate my own culture and background. What have been the best experience is the opportunity to get to know amazing people. My classmates, teachers, host families and local Mexicans have given me new perspectives and I am sure I have got friends for life.

• Center for Global Education and Experience, Augsburg College responded to this review December 07, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Thanks for the review! We are so happy to hear you had a great experience learning about cultures from the local Mexican community. Keep reflecting on your new perspectives, and be sure to keep in touch!

CGEE Mexico Program

CGEE Mexico offers a program different from many study abroad programs. There were only 10 students in my cohort. It is not a traditional study abroad program in that we have some classes with CGE staff, classes offered at a local Spanish language school, and some students took a course or two at Tec de Monterrey (the first year CGE did this). CGE offers two programs during the Fall, Crossing Borders and International Business, but in reality they are just one program, it just depends on what classes you take in my experience. We did all activities and speakers together, except some were for specific classes. With such a small group of students, I would expect better communication from the administration but the communication was very bad many times. It would have been helpful to offer students a health and safety overview so that we had a better idea of the options in Cuernavaca and what we should do. Every student in our program was sick at one time or another, mostly stomach sickness, and many did not eat street food at all. The program talks about many issues of social justice, diversity, etc, and is liberal similar to its U.S. counterpart. It offers a very different take on study abroad, and is not for those looking to study at a traditional university in another country.

• Center for Global Education and Experience, Augsburg College responded to this review December 07, 2015 at 9:03 AM

Thanks for the feedback! Your issues with communications has been noted, and we will be working to solve those issues for future semesters. We definitely pride ourselves on not being the “typical” study abroad experience and push students to grow outside their comfort zones. Thanks again for the feedback, and keep in touch!

Mexico 2015

I ended up with amazing opportunities, a great director, and the home stay is fantastic. There were plenty of chances to visit places like Puebla, Mexico City, museums, pyramids and more. In general I had an amazing time.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear you had an amazing experience. Keep in touch!

CGE Mexico is a Fabulous Program

I absolutely loved the CGE Mexico Crossing Borders Program. It is a very well rounded, multicultural, multi-perspective program. The teachers are excellent - very experienced in social justice work & Mesoamerican culture/history. You will learn so much on this program. Cuernavaca is a great city to explore. I always felt safe here. The program has you do a lot of different activities but you also get a lot a freedom. Go to CGE Mexico!

It was a good program but could've improved on a few things.

This program was pretty good. One of the few problems was the intern that they had working with the. She seemed to favor her friends especially when it came to notifying them of assignments and important dates. It was also difficult to understand why she was here. Whether it was to help the teachers and work with students or if she was here to party and meet guys,

CGE Review, Mexico

This was a great program, there was just a lot of repetitive things that got old. Overall it was good.

-Excellent classes; academically challenging...

-Excellent classes; academically challenging

-The program included exposure to relevant political, culturally and historical issues, as well as a good opportunity to improve my language skills

-Program had excellent guest lectures

-It was an opportunity to examine the impact of US foreign policy in Latin America

-Learn about globalization, war and poverty from the people who experience them

Mi Experiencia en mexico

I experienced a variety of new endeavors here in Mexico. I enjoy being challenged and this program did just that. I was able to learn different perspectives and ways of life. There was a lot of repeated topics, and I wish we would have expanded more rather than stay focused on a few issues. CGE confirmed for me just how important it is to diversify yourself and your thoughts. THANKS CGE!!!