Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (CELA Belize) Header Image Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (CELA Belize) Header Image

Tropical Marine Ecology and Conservation

I loved this class!

This class was so amazing!! I cannot even describe how much I loved it! We got to learn and explore the rainforest, the ocean, and even some rivers. Such an amazing experience and I would recommend it!

You Better Belize it

This trip has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I have only been out of the country one time and that was across the Arizona border to Mexico. The work we did in the field was amazing and made me feel like I have learned many different things that will continually benefit me later in life. Ed Boles was an amazing professor who really got involved with his students and made sure they were understanding the material, while also making sure we had a good time with the material.

unbelizeable exeperience!

the field experience is unparalleled and the being completely immersed in the culture only adds to the experience. this class has the perfect balance of lecture discussion, field work, and down time. the subject matter is extremely engaging and professor boles is extremely knowledgable and experienced in the field.

One of the Best Experiences of My Life

This class was amazing! I learned so much and had a great time exploring the country with fellow students and a teacher who knows so much about Belize. I know this class will have a major impact on my life in one way or another and I'm excited to see how.
We had a great amount of immersion in the culture and environment of Belize by staying in multiple places. We stayed in the jungle, on the cayes, and in San Ignacio, all of which gave us the opportunity to meet the local people and experience their way of living.
The course itself was extremely hands on and gave us experience working with what we were learning about in ways that you most likely wouldn't have at your home school.
The class was small, giving us a lot of face time with the teacher as well making it easy for the class to bond. I would consider my fellow classmates to be friends that I will stay in touch with for a very long time.
All in all, I'm not sure I could ever ask for a better experience and I'm so glad that I chose I.S.I.S. Belize to be my first study abroad program.

Tropical Marine Ecology

I had an absolute blast on this trip. It was everything that I hoped it would be and more. The only thing I could have changed would be less free time in San Ignacio. It would have been nice to have a few activities planned for our last 4 days in Belize. Other than that, AMAZING!

NA

This course was a wonderful course! We saw so many parts of Belize and learned so much from Ed. He is a wonderful instructor. It would have been better if we did more at the end of our course. We were just kind of put in San Ignacio to figure things out on our own. Maybe just adding a TA would help.

ISIS Course Review

This was a good course overall. It really helped me figure out what I want to do with my life. It was a stepping stone for me in the right direction. I learned a lot and would love to come back to Belize if I get the chance.

Awsome!

I recommend this course to students interested in fisheries/ wildlife because I encountered a wide diversity of animals (marine and terrestrial).

A good overview of marine biology

I enjoyed the class and the chance to study marine biology first hand. The course gave a good overview of topics, so you could pick which topic interests you most for future research.

I would have liked the course to be slightly more research intensive, possibly including a group research project that could be including on a CV

A good overview of marine biology

Unbelizeable

We had such a good time travelling throughout Belize while studying Marine Ecology and Conservation. Although there were some negatives about the trip, overall the stay was wonderful. Almost everyone we met were very helpful and kind and the places we stayed were significantly nice. Just be prepared for cold showers!!

Isis program review

Overall I had a great experience. This course in particular was kind of slapped together at the last minute because not enough students applied for the original course so they had to restructure it for a smaller group. For that reason, it seemed a little unorganized which was worrisome at times. That being said, our teacher was fantastic and everything worked itself out. The snorkeling was amazing. The living conditions on the island were rustic to say the least but I had no serious problems with it.

A better itinerary of activities would have been nice. No one was really sure of what the "game plan" was. A compiled and detailed itinerary would have been nice so that students would know what to expect.