Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (CELA Belize) Header Image Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (CELA Belize) Header Image

Large Animal Veterinary Practice in the Tropics

Large animal medicine experience

I thought the class was really fun and well thought-out, and each experience we had was relevant to the topic of the class. My TA was really engaging and did her best to make every moment worthwhile, and I enjoyed every part of the trip.

Palp-amazing!

I absolutely adored this whole trip. It's extremely inclusive and much more hands-on than I thought it was going to be. I mean I figured we were going to do some kind of hands-on action but I mean in the states you're not allowed to touch the animals unless you've got all kinds of certifications. Fortunately we were allowed to touch everything -- in fact we got in trouble when we didn't! You don't need to tell me twice. The lessons they teach really stick because it's not a notes kind of class; yes there are a few days of classwork but your education is truly the field work. For me this was excellent because I'm an extremely kinesthetic learner so being able to do the things they were teaching made it stick much better for me.

Amazing experience I will remember for a lifetime

It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The program is great, Dr.T and Reuben are great, I would recommend this for anyone, not just those that are planning on going into vet medicine. Just the people you meet and the experience is worth it.

You better Belize it!

During my trip to Belize with the Large Animal Veterinary course I was not only given various amounts of opportunities to learn and gain experience in animal health and wellness but was also immersed in the incredibly diverse and unique culture of of the country. If you have the opportunity to study abroad in Belize through the large animal course, DO IT! My experience was nothing short of amazing. During my decision in choosing the program, getting all of the paperwork completed, and preparing for my stay Cynthia was so helpful and always willing to promptly answer all of my questions. The CELA staff, Veterinary, TA, and everyone else who helped out or that we encountered were always incredibly polite, welcoming, eager to teach and explain, and never hesitated to make us all feel immersed and involved. The experience was personally beneficial as well as so rewarding in the sense that we were able to also give back so much to the community while there. My time in Belize was well worth the effort and money it took to have the experience. Being abroad was eye opening, encouraging, and a total boost of confidence for myself, not to mention I was able to meet a ton of awesome people!

CELA Belize Large Animal

This was a meaningful and career directing opportunity to experience the country of Belize and what it is like to be a Veterinarian there. I had the opportunity to immerse myself in the culture and participate in procedures only vet students have the privilege to do in the U.S. It really helped me decide whether or not I am interested in pursuing a career in Large Animal. In addition to all of this, I made lifelong friends! I highly recommend this course as an affordable veterinary study abroad experience. Bonus: a significant portion of your time and tuition expenses goes to provide free vet care for people in the towns we serviced!

Great course!

This is the second course I have taken with C.E.L.A. and I loved the Large Animal Course so much more than the Wildlife. This course was extremely hands on and I learned so much! Please do it, you won't regret it!

Better than I ever could have hoped for

My time in Belize was an amazing experience that I will remember for the rest of my life. Through this program I was able to acquire hands on experience that is hard to find anywhere in the States while also getting the all the benefits of traveling to a new place. In addition, all of the people from the CELA staff, Dr. Tesecum and his family, and all of the students in my group were phenomenal to work with. I could not have asked for a better trip and am so thankful to all of these people for making the class what it was.

Large Animal Course

This course was one of the best experiences I've had theoughout my years in school, I would definitely recommend it to others in my major. The faculty and my fellow students also played a key role in providing such a great experience.

Large animal course

IT WAS AMAZING! I am so glad I was able to be a part of this CELA group. I had the time of my life and learned so many life lessons along with things that I will use in future studies. I highly recommend this to anyone that has an interest in animals.

CELAs best course

If you have any interest in veterinary medicine this courses for you. It's incredibly hands-on every day you work in the field with the farmers and the Tescumbs. You learn and experience so many things you cannot yet do in the states and it's an incredible blend of experiencing Belize and learning. I met the most wonderful people on this trip.

Large nimal veterinary practices

This course is life changing! I love all the hands on activities and you meet life long friends! My favorite part was working with all different kinds of animals. Also taking a break and swimming in the beautiful rivers and waterfalls. The Mayan ruins trip was also and awesome experience.

Once in a lifetime experience

The experience is phenomenal. Everyday there is something new and you work with a different variety of animals. Hands-on work is guaranteed with the best veterinarian there and your new friends are ones you will keep in contact with after learning so much about each other. The days are exhausting, but there is time to hang out with your friends at the nice pool to cool down from the hot days. Belize is also cheap and has great restaurants with delicious foods and beverages.

An UnBELIZEAble experience

This program taught me so much and it was an incredible experience. Dr. T and Ruben give their all and are always willing to help. This experience will continue to help me in my future endeavors in the veterinary field.

Vet skills and cultural immersion allow for an outlook on Global Medicine

My experience with CELA and their large animal course was absolutely incredible. I had the opportunity to experience all areas of large animal medicine. From suturing at a spay and neuter clinic to castrations, vaccinations, and laboratory practices, my time spent here was very hands on and valuable. This course also exposes you to Belizean culture and the beauty and history of the country, which allows you to take away a complete outlook on global medicine.

An UnBELIZEable Adventure!

This trip was exceptional and simply incredible- by far the best experience of my life! The learning side of the course was truly unique in terms of how hands on we were able to be with the animals. I did so many procedures that I had not done while at school that accelerated and strengthened my learning and skills. I loved how the staff was so willing to let the students do everything with the animals so that we got the most meaningful experience possible. My passion for veterinary medicine was certainly enforced after this trip, and I cannot wait to do this for the rest of my life. This trip was honestly everything I was looking for an then some! Thank you CELA Belize!

MOST AMAZING EXPERIENCE EVER

Going on this study abroad program was one of the best things I could have done and it was very beneficial to me! There is so much hands on work that it will make you feel overwhelmed with gained experience. I highly recommend this study abroad program to anyone that truly loves helping animals. This is an experience you will not forget.

Large Animal Vet Practice

I had the chance to study abroad in Belize and have to say it was unbelievable. Everything from the class, to the people, to the field experiences was life changing and I hope to see myself in Belize again!

CELA winter session large animal vet studies

Amazing experience, extremely helpful teachers Ruben/Paige/Dr.T. The cultural immersion aspect was amazing, both between different states in the US and between US and Belize. In addition to this, this program allowed me intimate connection with large animals and gave me vital hands on experience in handling them. There is much more that we are able to do here in Belize as opposed to in the US and these experiences are what will set us apart from our peers.

Large Animal Veterinary Practices

This trip exceeded every expectation I had. I got to do so many hands on things I would never get the opportunity at home to do the things I got to do. I couldn't believe how upset I was to leave! I'm going to miss Belize and all the wonderful people I met!

best experience ever!

study abroad in belize was an amazing experience. The amount of hands on time i got to work with the animals was outstanding. everyday we did something different and i learned something different. From castrations to vaccinations and to doing fun thing slike swimming in huge beautiful water falls. Dr. Tesecum was very helpful in making you feel comfortable and answering any questions you had. The only down fall was that you had to pay for lunch and dinner (everything is fairly cheap but it adds up). Regardless it was a wonderful experience that guided me further in following my dreams, i would recommend this study abroad to any pre-vet student!

Cela winter 15/16

I enjoyed my trip so much. It was such a great cultural experience, as well as a learning experience for my field of study. Not only did we learn how vet medicine is applied in Belize but also actual veterinary medical treatments etc. I loved the country and the time period of the stay here. I would definitely come back if the future of i could and recommend the program.

an overall 9

Reuben and Paige were AWESOME. the hands on experience was phenomenal as well. They really seemed like they wanted us to learn and enjoy the program. I felt safe at all times and would highly recommend this program.

Belize Study Abroad

Had an amazing time and learned a lot! The living situation was great and the people leading the program were so friendly and helpful. Got the opportunity to have a lot of hands-on veterinary experience of all types.

Amazing Experience

This program was absolutely amazing! The amount of hands on activities with animals is unlike anything I would have been able to get in the US. The experience I got will definitely aid me in the future. I met some incredible people and I know that we will be lifelong friends.

Large Animal Course

This was the best experience I've ever had. I enjoyed every second of my two weeks there. San Ignacio is wonderful, the course and instructors are so knowledgable and fun, and the excursions were amazing. I recommend this to everyone!