Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (CELA Belize) Header Image Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (CELA Belize) Header Image

Indigenous Resurgence and Sustainable Development

Honest and Meaningful

This course was a superb look at the history, mythology and everyday life of the Mayan people. I came away humbled by the wonder of the global community in which we all reside. It was also a very objective and meaningful lesson in issues of culture and sustainability. I recommend it to anyone who wishes to have an honest and meaningful experience in another country.

A new Expirience

It is a new experience every one should try and learn because it change the mind of viewing the Maya Culture, you get to visit Maya villages and to have a real experience... Try it you will not regret!

Great experience in Belize!

This course would be perfect for anthropology majors or others interested in indigenous culture, as well as sustainability. It is a very different experience learning about a culture while immersed in it, and I learned a ton about Mayan communities, as well as Belize as a whole.

You really get an insider’s perspective on the culture, and all the activities and lectures are very interesting and relevant to the course. I felt incredibly welcomed by everyone, and never felt unsafe. The short length of the course makes for long days, but it is definitely worth it.

My only critique is that I would have liked to have had more information about where I would be going and staying beforehand, as I would have packed and prepared differently.

More incredible than I could have imagined!

This course was amazing! We learned about the various aspects of past, present, and future Maya culture by actually experiencing it. We got to participate and learn in Maya communities with lots of hands-on opportunities. It was everything we could have ever asked for, and more!

A new life perspective

When they say "intensive course" they aren't kidding! I have learned so much more than I expected to during this ten day course. The field activities and course content have opened my eyes to a whole new way of thinking and a whole new perspective on not only Maya culture, but indigenous cultures as a whole. I feel this class has enriched my undergraduate degree coursework in a way that no class in the states ever could have, and has given me powerful tools for my future research projects dealing with indigenous knowledge. I am so grateful for this experience and all the wonderful, generous Belizeans I met during my stay! I'd like to thank ISIS for giving me the opportunity of a lifetime!

I am not adverse to "roughing it," as I have spent plenty of time camping and backpacking with little amenities, so it's not like I wouldn't have taken the course had I known, I just would have packed differently and been better prepared. Besides that the living situation was just fine. It was nice staying at the eco-village cottages in Succotz and waking up to the beautiful birdsong in a beautifully manicured area surrounded by natural forest, and I felt good knowing that I was leaving little impact on the area using rainwater showers and compost toilets. The last few days were spent in a hotel with hot showers and a comfortable bed, however there was little opportunity for laundry beyond hand washing throughout the course. Wifi was always accessible.

I feel that there could have been more logistical information on the course schedule, living quarters, and activities given to students before the start of the course to help with preparations. Also, I'd like to add that I feel the workload of journal entries, innumerous readings, and a ten page paper is an awful lot to ask during a ten day course with a full schedule. I would recommend extending the course to allow more time for "homework", or reducing the workload and offering less credits for the class.

A Very Good Experience!

The experience was excellent beause I was able to participate fully in the different activities...not just watch it being done but actually do it!
I was able to discover parts of Belize in greater depth such as the coco production in Toledo. We were able to meet the people who cultivate this product and talk to the Maya of the local communities. We were able to observe the production of traditonal crafts and see how the communities are truely united and produce their own food. We also learned some words of the Maya language. The course fullfilled my expectations, was well organised and full of opportunities to learn.

Everything was explained very well and when I had specific questions the course instructor always gave me his time. Good people!