Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (CELA Belize) Header Image Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (CELA Belize) Header Image

Health, Beliefs & Ethnomedicine in Belize

Health, Belief and Ethnobotany Belize

Overall, I really enjoyed my journey in Belize because as I was meeting a variety of people from different cultures I was also learning about the history of myriad ethnic groups and the medicinal uses of plants. It's fascinating to notice that most of these plants can be prepared in your food. Therefore, it is right that our health originates from our diet. I can say that I learned about 25 plant species in 1 week! That is usually really hard to do when you are at school reading a book and trying to memorize facts and understand the overall concepts. However, this information really sticks to you because you learn it through emotions and experiences at each event. Its true when they say that you can forget what people say but you can never forget how something or something makes you feel. The people here are so welcoming and sweet! I feel like I have a family here and one day I plan to come back so I can see them again. Also, the food is really amazing and it is very nutritious!

Ethnobotany

This course was an amazing experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in plants or alternative medicine. The things I learned could not be taught in a classroom; you have to experience it.

CELA-Ethnobotany

It was an amazing experience. It was just tough traveling so often and for staying at places for such a short amount of time. The course should be lengthened to at least a month. Moving around is very tiring and limits students to fully participate.