Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (CELA Belize) Header Image Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (CELA Belize) Header Image

Global Health: Biology, Medicine Public Health in the Tropic

Global health

This class was quite a different experience from my previous ethnobotany course. I got to work in a more modern setting compared to the jungle conditions I often found myself two weeks ago. I thought that my professor for global health was very good and I appreciated everything he did for us and taught us. It was an amazing experience getting to talk to so many agencies and see the hospitals.

A Belizean Winter

My experience in Belize was one I couldn't have prepared for. I didn't know what to expect before I got there and in some ways this was the best approach because I had an open mind. Prepare to go with the flow and take everything in. It's a great place to open up and experience another country for what it is- at first one might not think there's a culture to experience but go out and ask the locals questions/get to know them (they're ALL so friendly and open). Some things irritated me (get used to Belizean time when you're out for dinner) but just let those feelings go because you're time there will be shorter than it seems. The course was amazing, don't go in with preconceptions or notions that you know what it will be about. I learned more than I thought I would and this experience opened a lot of doors for me. I would definitely recommend this program- it's relatively cheap, you can go only knowing English (but try your Spanish out if you know it), and the atmosphere is very friendly and accommodating.

Global Health

I loved this program. I was able to experience so many hands on activities. It wasn't like having one professor in a classroom. We toured multiple agencies and spoke to people directly involving in everyday global health planning for Belize. It was a fantastic opportunity.

Global Health Program in Belize

Winter 2014/2015 wast the launch of the Global Health program at ISIS. Dr. Marvin (the instructor) is truly inspirational. The course provided interesting and relevant speakers from all across the health industry - water, animal health, traditional healing, epidemiology etc. Wish the class was more project-based or activities driven as it was a lot of lecturing - sometimes 5+ hours a day. Other ISIS classes have more action-based activities so I have no doubt that the program will only continue to improve. I've learned a lot about global health as a whole and the Belize story specifically. Belize is amazing and there is great need for people to contribute to the country so if you're passionate, come to Belize and learn all that you can!

Global Health

Overall, the course was good, but not quite what I expected. I learned a lot about global health issues such as climate change and tropical diseases. Unfortunately, the syllabus was misleading because I thought I would have more contact with humans, but instead we just went to a lot of agencies.