Carpe Diem Education Header Image Carpe Diem Education Header Image

Southeast Asia Semester - Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam

Some of the most incredible of my life

Those 3 months were some of the most incredible of my life, and I will be eternally grateful to Carpe and all the amazing people who make these trips happen. So I wanted to say thank you! I still think about the trip everyday, and I am filled with so many memories and experiences that will carry on into the rest of my life, and hopefully keep me traveling for a long, long time! I have the travel bug now for sure. The Southeast Asia trip was just unbelievable; I have nothing but good things to say about it, and if any future students have any questions about anything..packing or what to expect, etc, i would love to be of help! I hope to stay part of the carpe family and maybe one day even lead a trip of my own! I just wanted to let all the staff at carpe know how much this trip meant to be, and what a great program you guys have. The trip has changed my life. Thank you for everything!

It was the greatest three months of my life!

This was the first time I had ever left the United States. Being Cambodian I was really drawn to the South East Asia Program since my dad didn't really teach me very much about our heritage. I was very afraid at first but as it came closer to the day we would leave I was so excited. To partake in the Meditation retreat in Thailand, the ancient temples of Angkor Wat and the home stay in Sapa, Vietnam I can safely say that this was the most transforming experience I had ever had in my life. I learned more about myself, others, and the world in the three months abroad than the 20 years I had in Portland, Oregon. If you have any doubts or inclinations not to travel but you want to Carpe Diem will help you and you will learn along the way.

A life changing experience

I didn't know what to expect from this experience, but when it happened it was a journey that changed my perspective in many ways. Carpe Diem education gave me an opportunity to travel and learn. I was challenged mentally and emotionally and was able to get out of my comfort zone which was something I never knew would be possible. I grew as a person. The Overseas educators were supportive and pushed us to get out of our comfort zones. The culture, the history, the food, and meeting new people was incredible. I surrounded myself with new adventures and through that I discovered myself.

Simply life changing, cliché, I know

Carpe Diem was a last minute decision for me. I didn't know what to do with my semester free and out of the blue Carpe showed up. I had no idea what I was getting myself into but I didn't look back.
The trip felt very real. A lot of these programs can be a lot of bullshit where you go to a "remote country" and live it your way when you should be living it their way, if that makes sense. Carpe Diem made it as real as possible. This included talking about how problematic it was that we were all there doing this and realizing our privilege and also respecting that their culture is their culture and not ours to take. Very well done.