Carpe Diem Education Header Image Carpe Diem Education Header Image

East Africa Semester - Tanzania, Uganda, and Rwanda

I have discovered some personal limits.

While on my group semester with Carpe Diem, I have discovered some personal limits. I've even surpassed a few during my time in East Africa. Being 18 and between high school and university is such a weird, transitional stage. I think that through this semester,I've finally begun to find myself. I've seen an amazing part of the world, all while I have been figuring out what is important to me and how the world figures into my life. From the henna on my hands to the new found appreciation for street food, I know there is so much more out there. Carpe and my OEs have not only given me an opportunity to become more mindful of my own passions, but to be a more mindful global citizen as well.

There's nothing to be scared of

There's nothing to be scared of. By the middle of the trip, you won't even want to go home! You will do so many amazing things and make so many incredible memories. If you can do it, do it!

I'll never forget my experiences

Carpe Diem does an unparalleled job in the gap year world. Gap years in general are something I really encourage; a way to use your time wisely, think about where you want to go, and make informed decisions. I would especially encourage Carpe Diem gap years; they're educational, fun, and transforming. The East Africa trip completely changed me and my life. I'll never forget my experiences in Tanzania, Rwanda, and Uganda, and I'll never forget the memories I have with the friends I made on the trip.

You will change

If you are willing to be pushed beyond your comfort zone, if you are willing to be challenged, and if you are willing to put your whole self into this experience, you will get so much out of this program. You will change; it may be a slow shift at first, but by the time you are finished, you will see how much you have changed (for the better) since the beginning of the semester. You will make good, good friends and you will fall in love with the region you travel. There is no better way to learn than though travel!

Carpe was a great experience

Carpe was a great experience and if you feel lost or in need of guidance Carpe is a great way of finding it while also learning many valuable travel and personal skills you can use for the rest of your life!!

Its a great experience

Its a great experience if you want to better yourself. The group dynamics was great practice for future group settings like in a workplace or family. However, the strict structure may not be for everyone.

Awesome semester

Thank you Carpe Diem for an awesome semester. It was full of twists and turns, but in the end I'm coming out molded into a new version of myself. I met great people who have restored my faith in the future. I saw things I never could dream of, experienced a culture completely foreign to me. I'm excited to begin my university studies with a new perspective and state of mind.

You are in a safe program

If a student is thinking taking a gap year I would say do it! It really makes you think and express who you are. If you don't want you want to do carpe diem will help you with that! You are in a safe program as well.

One of the best experiences of my life

I took part in the Spring 2012 East Africa Semester and not only do I not regret that decision but my appreciation for that trip continues to grow. I was uninterested in school from the start and barely made it through high school, did not even apply to any colleges, and did not plan on continuing my education. Then I heard about Carpe Diem Education and I decided to take part and it was worth it. I learned to love learning, the rewards of giving back, the freedoms of responsibility and independence, and the wonders of travel. I made friends and memories I will have for the rest of my life, found passion that has led me through school, and developed values that are central to my life.
Carpe Diem is a well run organization with skillful passionate leaders and I am sure all of their trips are just as amazing as East Africa and I strongly suggest everyone who has the opportunity to partake in the trip that calls them.

Incredible way to start off my gap year

I loved my time in East Africa. The people and the organization we had the opportunity to interact with were absolutely amazing. Carpe was clearly very organized and the structure of the program supported us in gradually gaining independence as we learned more travel skills. Accommodations were generally very basic and the food is primarily rice and beans, so make sure you are ok with these factors before going on this trip. An open mind goes a long way towards making this semester extremely rewarding. I loved my time on this semester and still think about it as one of the best experiences of my life. Would highly recommend!