Carpe Diem Education Header Image Carpe Diem Education Header Image

Central America - Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Roatan

It taught me a lot

My experience with Carpe not only transformed my world view, but it taught me a lot about living with a group and it gave me the tools I needed to be a confident independent traveller. It also helped me realize the importance of being an active member in society- whether that means becoming very involved in politics, controlling your environmental footprint, or buying from local and organic companies. It is such a privilege to be born in the United States, a country that has so much influence in the world, but it is what we do with that privilege that matters.

Life is never too short

Just know that life is never too short because life's on choices, and if one takes their time in making the choices they truly desire (like myself in choosing to take a gap year with Carpe!), their life will become that much more longer, satisfying, and worthwhile in the long run.

Carpe helped me to grow

Carpe helped me to grow into a stronger, happier, and more beautiful person that I can be proud of. I'm coming out of this program with more clarity of who I am, what I can accomplish, and what I want to do in my life from here. Plus there are 1000 amazing experiences from this trip that I will never forget.

Its the best way to go

its the best way to go even if you are like me and you know your college plan it's a good way to still earn college credit while exploring the world and the inner you.

Its an experience that you can only get with Carpe

Its an experience that you can only get with Carpe. They provide such an amazing support system and they allow you to learn in ways you would never consider learning before. From a permaculture farm in Nicaragua to scuba diving of the coast of Honduras... it just does not get much better than that.

Don't kid yourself

Even if you don't think you're coming into this trip with expectations, you are. Don't kid yourself. I'm here to tell you that many of those expectations will not become reality, but you'll have a whole slew of new experiences that you would never have imagined having. Also, buy toilet paper as soon as you can once you arrive--you won't need it everywhere, but TP availability is not what it is in the US.

This is a once in a lifetime chance

Run headlong into this trip with no expectations whatsoever. This is a once in a lifetime chance to really get to know who you are and make lasting relationships with some unforgettable people.

Mentors that care

This experience was amazing because of the mentors that took me to these countries. Carpe Diem Education makes sure the absolute best people are the ones leading the trip. Ben and Jess are my biggest role models and inspired me throughout the entire trip. Jess continues to brighten my life and email me monthly to let me know that I am cared about. Ben was my main friend on this trip that I could just hang out with and slackline between two trees when travel was making me anxious. The mentors on my trip are two people that are really confident in who they are as people and truly believe that travel will change you. Jess and Ben made me think, act and be a different person without even trying. Without Carpe Diem, and the amazing people they have lead these trips, I would not be continuing to travel. Jess inspired me to travel as much as I can, and now I can confidently say I am going to Thailand and Spain in 2016-2017 knowing that my mentors helped me get there.

Learn

Learn to channel your shit whether your angry, happy, mad, glad, sad, frustrated, etc into something positive, whether that be confiding in a group member, journaling, reading, screaming into a pillow, whatever works for you I guess. There's no such thing as escapism when you don't have access to tv, computers, phones, gyms, booze, etc. So develop a new effective coping mechanism for when stuff isn't going your way.