CAPA The Global Education Network Header Image CAPA The Global Education Network Header Image

Study and Intern with the CAPA London Program

Nina's growth

I had a great experience during my time in London. I learned a lot about myself had I not went to London and took course and a internship. I was able to discover things about myself and adapt to a different environment on my own.

A life-changing experience

Studying abroad with CAPA was, truly, one of the best decisions I have ever made. When I began the process of finding a program to study in London with, there were a few things that I know I wanted: To live in a flat in the city, to be able to travel, and to have an internship. I found that CAPA would be able to give me all of these choices, and I made my decision.
My time abroad was the first time out of the United States, and I knew it would take some time to adjust. CAPA made it easy for all of its students, by offering tours of the neighborhoods we lived in– including the best grocery stores and Tube stations to take– guided explorations around the city, and by offering small group meetings and orientations at CAPA, to make sure everyone felt comfortable, and knew they had people they could go to if they needed help.
I was very busy during my weeks abroad– between classes in the morning, going to my TV station internship in the afternoon, and then having to cook my meals, do my laundry, homework, and find some time to relax– but it was incredibly worth it. The education I received from my classes, and internship, were one of a kind, and often used London as a classroom setting, which was incredible.
Even though I was busy, I made sure to take time each day to explore. Some days I would just get on the Tube and get off a station I didn’t know and, safely, see what I would find. Around CAPA’s campus are tons of museums (which are free), parks, and other things to explore. I never spent an entire day in my flat– London had too much to offer.
Another great thing about being in London is that it is cheap and easy to travel to other places in Europe. During the three and a half months I was there, I got to travel to Paris, Dublin and Galway, Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Florence, and Edinburgh. I experienced things I had dreamed of, as well as moments I had never even thought possible. I met family members who lived in Ireland, sang on the steps of Sacré Coeur in Paris, saw every famous landmark, tasted the most amazing food, and danced every night away. Sure, sometimes we got lost, sometimes it was hard not speaking the native language– but we figured it out, and it made every experience more memorable and educational.
I know the friends I made while I was abroad will stay friends forever– we experienced so much together, and share an incredible bond over this amazing chapter in each of our lives.
To anyone who is considering studying abroad: I could not recommend it enough. It changes the way you see the world and people around you, and the way you live your life. Not every day will be easy, but it is worth it, and you will fly home with memories and friends that will last a lifetime– and an outlook that will positively affect every day to come.

The most enriching, educational, and fun experience

My experience in London with CAPA was better than I ever could’ve dreamed of. I learned how to live in a global city, made incredible memories and friends, interned with a transnational company, and developed personally and professionally. Study abroad as a whole is an enriching, once-in-a-lifetime experience that needs to be taken advantage of.

I didn’t expect to gain so many skills, technical work-related ones and softer ones, but I did and I will take them with me for the rest of my life. I got relevant international work experience in my desired field while also becoming more confident, independent, mature, and able to work with people from diverse backgrounds.

CAPA was the perfect fit for me, largely in part due to the internship component and their emphasis on personal and professional development. I knew ahead of time that I want to pursue an internationally-focused career, so doing an international internship was a great starting point for me. Not only did CAPA place me at a site that perfectly aligned with my career goals, but they taught me how to articulate my study abroad and work experience in a professional, in-depth way, which is more difficult to do than I initially thought.

CAPA provided a lot of great inclusions, including an Oyster Card for the tube and bus so I didn’t have to pay for public transport, a London Pass which granted me free entry to 5 attractions (including the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey), field trips around the city and to Brighton, My Global Education events to teach me more about the dynamic components that make up a global city, and discounts on cultural events such as a Rugby Game at Wembley Stadium and West End plays.

I would highly recommend the CAPA London program to everyone!

An AMAZING Experience!

My study abroad experience with CAPA London was better than I ever anticipated. You hear of a lot of people who go abroad and say it was a "life-changing experience." And this really is the case for me. The CAPA staff, in London and Boston, were extremely helpful each step of the way--from the application to commencement. I absolutely loved living in London. The flats in Shepherd's Bush were in a good part of town and Tube stations were easily accessible. They also pay for your transportation within London which is really helpful. I took Advertising in Britain and British Broadcasting Today and found both of the classes to be beneficial. We could actually go on field trips in the city and see concepts we had been learning in class. My favorite was visiting the BBC. They also have great connections within the city for internships. For example, I am a tv broadcast major and interned at a local tv station that broadcasts charities. However, probably the best part of CAPA for me was the cultural activities and My Education Events. These were planned events or excursions led by CAPA. For instance, I saw Les Miserables, went to a rugby match, took walking tours of various neighborhoods, and took a boat cruise down the Thames. After 3 months of living in London, I didn't want to leave and I wouldn't trade my experience with CAPA for anything.

London Calling...CAPA is Waiting For You!

CAPA provided me with the necessary resources to thrive during my time in London. The first few weeks they really help you settle in and feel welcome. I loved how they acknowledged how new this all was to us and would help us every step of the way. They had an amazing way of doing this because it somehow still amounted to be an insane learning and growing experience on our own as well. The CAPA staff made sure we were informed on all levels of travel - how to save money, which boroughs to hit during the weekend, the markets to go to, etc. The trips to markets and things like that involved educational learning as well. So now only did we hit the major sight seeing spots for that perfect photo-op and journey entry, but we learned so much about the history. There are certain places I would not have gone if CAPA had not helped plan them. Some of these events were: Dinner in an authentic curry restaurant on Brick Lane (famous Indian food - so good), Wimbledon, Greenwich (class trip), and Stonehenge & Bath, about a two hour bus ride out of London. No doubt CAPA wanted us to make the best of our experience and that is exactly what they did for me. If I were to study abroad again, I would go through CAPA for sure!

Best decision I've made

At first when I was looking through study abroad programs with my school I wasn't too picky. To be honest I chose CAPA solely because it fit with where I wanted to go and was within my price range. However, I couldn't have been happier with my choice. From the very beginning steps to when I was leaving their staff were more the happy to help with any questions and concerns I had, no matter how silly I thought they were. CAPA had an amazing balance between in class learning as well as out of class "field trips" which made the learning hands on. I had the amazing opportunity to be taught be some awesome professors. There was also a great amount of side-trip availability like to Stonehenge and Bath. I will take those memories with me forever.

I grew so much not only as a student but as a citizen of the world. CAPA gave me the spark that ignited my wish to see the world and understand it on a deeper level. I became much more independent and more confident in myself and my abilities.

I would 100% recommend CAPA International Education to anyone even considering studying abroad in any of their locations but especially if they want to study in London.

8 Weeks, 6 Credits, Endless Adventure

Couldn't Have Asked For More

CAPA has meant everything to me in the past year. Studying abroad in London had been a huge dream of mine since high school. CAPA was located in a great part of London, had amazing teachers, and an awesome administrative group. People who worked at CAPA were so quick to help with any problem. The people in my program have changed my life.

CAPA's Internship Program was exactly what I had hoped for. The internship team helped me in deciding what office would be suitable for me. When I was overwhelmed with my internship, the team was so helpful in pushing me and letting me know how much confidence they had in me.

CAPA had great activities that let us see parts of London that we would've missed completely. Each activity was fun and let us meet different people in our program.

London itself is an amazing city. The people are inspirational, the city is vibrant, and the night life is so fun. I felt so safe in London, and the places in which CAPA had its students live were so much fun to be in. I definitely recommend this program to anyone who wants an unforgettable year.

Best Semester of my College Life

My study abroad experience with CAPA was one of the greatest experiences of my life. The staff was very friendly and made us feel like we were at home. We could talk to them about anything and ask them for information such as events in London, what places to explore, that is the best way to travel around Europe, etc. and it was really nice knowing that they would be there for us to provide support. The professors were also great. They all hailed from different London universities and their unconventional teaching methods made my learning experience very pleasant. Rather than have you read long textbook chapters, they encourage you to do research of world occurrences to be able to apply it to the class and give you an idea of how to apply what you learned in class with real life. Living arrangements were great, we were centrally located and within walking distance of beautiful places in London such as Covent Garden and Oxford Street. My roommates were the best and are friends that I will cherish and keep for a very long time. London itself is also a great city, and once you spend some time there you will begin to understand why it is one of the greatest cities in the world. With its cultural variety and mix between suburbia and a big city, you will never be bored in London as there is always something to do or see and somewhere to be. I am very pleased and can very safely say that it was the best semester of my college life.

CAPA is the Total Package!

WHY CAPA?:

I am so glad I chose to study abroad with CAPA. I did a lot of research on various study abroad programs, but CAPA stood out the most and did not disappoint me! I wanted a program that incorporated a lot of in country support and activities. I was worried about doing an exchange and being by myself, but also was worried about getting involved in a program that would hand hold too much. CAPA was the perfect balance.

I also loved that CAPA provided lots of options so that I could really make my study abroad experience my own. You have so many choices to customize your semester. You can live in a homestay or flat, do an internship or service learning course, choose from a wide variety of classes, and/or participate in MyEducation and cultural activities.

HOMESTAY:

For me, the cultural immersion came from living in a homestay. Living with British locals was a great experience. My host parents were amazing and I loved getting the chance to form a relationship with them (plus their home cooking was delicious)! You really do save a lot of money in the homestay as well, since breakfast and dinner are provided every day. You also will get your own bedroom. I’d say don’t be scared to try the homestay. If you’re thinking you might like to do it—do it!

CLASSES:

I took 12 credits/4 classes at the CAPA Centre. I really enjoyed them all and would say they were about the same rigor as I was used to at ASU. My professors were all British and extremely knowledgeable in their fields. The classes ended up being one of the best parts of my study abroad experience.

Recommendations:
20th & 21st Century Art
Theatricality
Writing the City: London
Understanding Modern Britain

OVERALL:

While in London, I really grew as a person. I overcame a lot of my anxiety, which was huge for me. I gained the courage to step out of my comfort zone and leave home. I have learned I have a passion for photography and art. I have also become a better listener, an active learner, more independent, more assertive, have learned to trust my instincts, and become more focused on my career goals and what I want to pursue in life. In 10 years, I’ll probably be able to look back and find even more areas of growth that have presented themselves because of my time in London. I know I will never forget my time in the UK and all it’s done for me. I also know that for me, it’s been just the beginning of a lifetime of growing and changing through traveling abroad.

Living in London

London is a fantastic city to live in and CAPA is a great program through which to study and intern there. Through the CAPA program, I was able to arrange classes as well as an internship for my semester abroad, which allowed me to be productive academically while also developing my professional skill-set. The central location of the program center is also an advantage in terms of getting to know the city.

James Madison University Semester in London with Internship Component

I fell in love with London and all the experiences and adventures I had while I was abroad. The internship placement was a huge advantage and helped make my experience unforgettable. It was great to have that additional cultural component and professional edge in future endeavors. Thank you CAPA for this amazing opportunity.

London Short Term

I had an absolute blast! The CAPA team was very helpful and helped us arrange theater visits and other travel experiences. Our accommodations were close by and very nice. The CAPA classroom building is very nice and had nice places to eat nearby.

What a wonderful world with CAPA!

I'd been connected to CAPA through my school, the University of Delaware, and could not be happier with my experience. Immediately upon arrival, the staff was on top of things, filling us in on details and important information. The staff was always available to help us and went above and beyond to make us comfortable with London. My professors were also incredible people who taught me from different perspectives than would have been possible at home. Class incorporated a lot of outside elements and field studies which really served as a great welcome to London from a tourists perspective. However, the real cultural immersion happened through living in London. I lived in Camden, a borough that was about a 45 minute commute to CAPA which was farther than the rest of the housing option, but it was well worth it. The neighborhood was full of life and diversity, something that many people may not experience in their home towns. After spending an entire semester in London, you are able to gain so much life experience as well as learn the ways of a new city. I highly recommend studying abroad with CAPA International Education.

Best experience of my life!

Studying abroad was ultimately the best decision I have ever made in my life. I was a little worried about the adjustment, safety, and social life when I arrived to London, but CAPA took the worries right off of my shoulders. They were beyond amazing. I would highly, highly recommend any of their programs!

Valuable

My most memorable experience while I was there was having the opportunity to plan an event in parliament with 3 MPs and over 50 people for my internship.

I chose this program mainly because of the opportunity for an internship while overseas.

While I was living there I lived in a flat with ten other girls. I lived in a newly renovated building, therefore everything was amazing fresh and new.

The Best Experience of Your Life

CAPA was one of the best experiences I have had. While I was there the staff was always extremely friendly and helpful, it feels like you have a family in the staff and that they are always genuinely happy to help. While I did not find some of the classes to be that challenging, it was nice because it did mean that I had much more time to explore the city. Having an internship while I was there was the most valuable part of my trip. CAPA was more than helpful in finding the right match for me with an internship and there to help you with any concerns. I was originally placed in an internship that I was not too excited about, but as soon as I told a member of the internship team I was not interested they immediately found me another internship that I loved. Going to London with CAPA is still one of my best decisions.

You truly get a chance to learn more about the city because the professors and CAPA staff make a clear effort to plan trips out into the city whenever they can.

Most memorable experience

I can pick at least one "most memorable experience" from every day I spent in London, at least.
Honestly, and hold on to your hats here 'cause I'm about to get kinda reflective on y'all, it would have to be one of the last days I spent in London. It was December, Christmas was in the air, and I was leaving my internship site walking to the tube to head to a local pub to grab a pint with some mates (I sound so British, right??) There was something I realized in that moment about how much I'd grown during my time abroad. I swear I was a different person after that. I'd learned so much about myself, what I was capable of doing, what I cared about, what I wanted to do with my life (SO CHEESY, I know, stick with me here). But I've never felt so happy about anything before as I did in that moment. I promise you, reader, going abroad was the best thing I ever did for myself.

I chose this program because it was recommended by advisers and other students.

I lived in the most charming little flat smack dab in the middle of Camden (real estate my rich great aunt probably couldn't afford, much less this poor college kid). It's a small little flat (but you're in LONDON, so it's fine). And you get used to it. I honest to god would trade my apartment here in for that flat back in a heartbeat.

Living the Dream

My most memorable experience was being able to go to all of the markets on the weekends with my flatmates and get to experience something totally different from what you would find in the USA.

I chose this program because I wanted to Intern abroad to gain that work experience to aide me in working oversees in the future.

The flat we stayed in was way above my expectations. Although the bedrooms were small and we had bunk beds, the location was amazing. So many great markets were in walking distance and we were minutes from the Roundhouse (where the iTunes festival is held every year) and from the Camden markets.

I'm Just Mad I Had to Come Home

It sounds a bit cheesy to say that studying abroad really formed who I am as a person, or that it was the best decision I've made throughout my college career, but it's true. Those cliches have to come from somewhere, right? I can't emphasize enough how much I think every undergrad student who has the opportunity to study abroad should take advantage of it. And CAPA, in particular, was such a great program. The professors pushed me, but were so friendly and welcoming along the way. The staff was absolutely incredible in every way (I miss just hanging out with them too)! And the people I worked with at my internship site were total inspirations to me. I miss London every single day, and I would not trade the experience I had there for anything. If you're reading this review, DO IT. APPLY NOW. I promise you won't regret it.

Living the Dream

When applying for the program I was looking to get an experience where I would be able to experience the day-to-day life of a Londoner and CAPA provided exactly that. The apartments I lived in Camden were above what I was expecting and it was nice to live with all the other students in the program. The location of the apartment was in a very trendy area that offered different things to do everyday within a short walk. I was also provided an oyster card for the duration of the program that made it possible for me to explore all of central London. Being able to take the tube daily to get to my internship or class made it easier to relate to people permanently living in the city and made me feel like I was a Londoner.

The staff of CAPA were very helpful before my arrival and after. All of the information I could have wanted was provided to me and the staff were always available to assist me when needed. The internships team was especially helpful when my original placement company told me that there was no work for me. The internships team worked to find me a new placement within a couple days and kept me updated on what was happening. Throughout the entire program I always felt like I was living in a dream and always knew that I had support if needed.

The Semester Of A Lifetime

My most memorable experience while studying abroad was spent on a Tuesday night just a few short weeks after arriving in London. I joined a running club that met in southern London twice a week at 7pm and I showed up not knowing what to expect. I met the running group and we took off trotting along the already dark streets of London. It seemed like any other run, passing people and buildings left and right until finally we were spit out next to the river with this huge beautiful city lit up in front of me reflecting off the water. I had never seen anything more spectacular in my life. Running up to the Tower Bridge and climbing the stairs up to it is a moment I told myself I would never forget. The colors all blended together perfectly and I remember thinking to myself that there wasnt a single thing wrong with this city.

I choose CAPA International Education because I felt like they offered exactly what I was looking for in a study abroad program. The academics were a perfect fit for me and the opportunity to intern in another country seemed like the once in a lifetime experience that I didn't want to pass up. Being situated in London, the city that I've always dreamed of going to, just sealed the deal and I knew right away that this was the program for me.

My living situation was in a flat with three other girls, one from New York and two from Singapore. Unfortunately, the flat that I was staying in was in the process of being refurbished and renovated so we encountered many problems including a burst pipe, broken furniture, many power outages among other things. We were compensated at the end of the semester for our poor living conditions but it did cause quite a bit of stress over the months.

CAPA London Spring 2014

Memorable Experiences? I can label a few things as my most memorable experience.

At my internship, my most memorable experience was giving a presentation to the organization's board of trustees on my work throughout the semester. The trustees responded positively.

Another memorable experience was going to Stonehenge through CAPA. I am a history and politics buff, and I did not expect to go to Stonehenge during my time abroad, so, naturally, I was quite excited.
Another memorable experience with CAPA was attending the CAPA trip to Paris. As much as I was not expecting to go to Stonehenge, I was more not expecting to get the opportunity to go to Paris. Paris is a lovely, magical city - I absolutely recommend going on the trip there!

Outside of CAPA, at least for me, my final of my most memorable experiences I will discuss here is the Harry Potter Studio Tour. The student council group at CAPA organized a trip to the studio in late April, but I went in early March. As a massive Harry Potter fan, I think the tour was wonderful, and my friends who went on the trip with the student council also thought the tour was wonderful.

I chose CAPA International Education because they offered what I wanted: a study abroad program where you can simultaneously take classes, and have an internship. Researching the classes and internship opportunities that CAPA had offered in the past confirmed my decision to apply for the program.

You have two living options when going abroad with CAPA. One option is a homestay, where you live with a family. The other, which I did, was to live in an apartment with other people.

IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE OF THIS REVIEW (except the first section) PLEASE READ WHAT FOLLOWS THE ALL CAPS SECTION: all of the housing locations are distinct from each other. They all have advantages and disadvantages as compared to other locations. For example, as I'll go into detail below, my living area had decently sized bedrooms, and a nice sized kitchen. Also, were close to grocery stores, a pharmacy, and a Poundland (same idea as a dollar store). However, for my living area, we were also in more of a lower to middle-middle-class area, and we were not super close to any clubs. That being said, I was perfectly fine where I was located because I'm not a club-goer. However, most of my flatmates were unhappy because they were club-goers. My advice to you is, once you get your housing assignment, learn about as much of the area as you can, and consult staff at CAPA to see if they have any advice for things to do in your neighborhood.

I was housed in Westburn Townhouses, located in Kilburn Park (NW6). There were five other groups of people, including the group I was with, housed in that complex. There were three boy groups, and three girl groups. The groups are not coed. Each house contained a kitchen, living area, and four bedrooms. The house was three floors.

I was with a group of seven other girls. Six of the girls were from different universities than me, and one was also from my university. There were four bedrooms in the house - one triple, two doubles, and one single. I had the single. ANOTHER IMPORTANT PIECE OF ADVICE: If you want to try for the single (now, mind you, I did not know having a single was an option while I filled out my program application), fill out the section that will say something along the lines of "specific housing preferences." I put in "I prefer a cold room." As a result, I was given the room on the ground floor, which is the single.

I am not a social, outgoing person. However, I felt quite comfortable with my flatmates. We all got along quite well. I, and my flatmates, believe this was because we all had distinct personalities, so no one person clashed with another. Yes, there were arguments, but those were not often.

The reason I mention my having a more reserved personality is one of my biggest concerns was I would not getting along with my flatmates. However, my fears were almost immediately assuaged once I began to get to know my flatmates. Therefore, my advice to you is to not make assumptions about anyone before going abroad, and, even if you have a personality like mine, I promise you will make friends.

The Semester of a Lifetime in London!

Studying in London through the CAPA International Education Program was the best decision I could have made regarding my study abroad options. Living in London was a dream and looking back on it now it still doesn't feel like it was real. CAPA offered me the opportunity to step outside of my comfort zone and experience things I never even thought imaginable. They provided me with the resources I needed to strive and be successful throughout my time abroad and because of the support they gave me I feel ready and able to make the most out of my time in London.

CAPA London Spring 2014

Studying abroad with CAPA International Education in London was a wonderful, exciting, and fulfilling experience. Every aspect of the program exceeded my expectations - staff and teachers, CAPA's support with my internship (which CAPA matches you up with), and the opportunities CAPA offered outside the classroom.
All of the staff at CAPA London were friendly, approachable, answered any question I had, and addressed all of my concerns. There were designated staff for particular issues, and it was made clear from the beginning of the program which staff were best to speak to if we had a question in a particular area.
I took three classes in addition to my internship. One of the classes was a mandatory internship-related class where we were taught business skills. The other two were of my choosing. CAPA offers classes in a variety of subjects - economics, journalism, political science, English, history, women's studies, theatre, sociology, film, communications, art history, marketing, finance, psychology, and business.
The internship class was worthwhile for me because I had never before taken any business classes (this is because at my university, you need to be a member of a specific school to take business classes). I learned a lot of business related skills, from communication to being a leader. However, friends of mine who have taken business classes told me the class essentially taught them nothing new. Therefore, if you're like me, the class will be great. If you've taken business classes, you may not learn much. The professor I had for the class, Dr. Kristin Dean, was amazing. She was quite knowledgeable, and created a relaxed classroom atmosphere.
If you have an internship, you a required to do a certain number of hours at your internships by the end of the semester in order to fulfill your Visa requirements. The CAPA internship staff required students to fill out time tables to record our hours in order for us and them to keep track of our hours. If you had any questions or concerns surrounding your internship, the staff were happily available to assist you.
My internship was at the Turkish Cypriot Community Association, located in northern London. They are a charity that focuses on providing services to Turkish-speaking immigrants. They are most known for their homecare service. I was their legal intern. I revised and re-categorized their policies and procedures, revised their constitution, and created a skeleton for their business plan. CAPA matches you up with an internship, if you elect to do so, through a short questionnaire they provide. I recommend being specific in your desires, but willing to be flexible. I will admit I was shocked and a bit disappointed when I first found out my internship placement because it was not what I expected. However, I grew to love, and thrive at my internship.
One of the classes I took was European Government and Politics - POL 307 (LNDN 3432). In this class, as you can imagine, we learned about the significant political and historical events in various countries across Europe. Although I myself am not terribly interested in international relations, I greatly enjoyed learning about various European nations, including Germany, France, and Spain, as well as the European Union itself. The course required a few papers, one presentation, and an in-class final. The professor, David Edye, is a but quriky, but highly intelligent and added life to even the driest material. When I had a question about the material or class assignments, the latest I would receive a response is the next day. I received an A- in the course. If you are interested in the European Union, or want to know a little bit more about the major players in the EU, take this class. Also, the class included out-of-class excursions to various locations around London, including the financial district. Regardless, I recommend it.
The other class I took was Citizenship and Gender in Modern Europe - POL 390 (LNDN 3614), This class explored perceptions of gender and citizenship since WWII. This class required a paper, a presentation, and a 7 page research paper as the final. What I enjoyed most about the class were the out-of-class excursions. The schedule of class meetings to cover a topic were one class meeting, and an excursion the next class meeting. The topics covered in this course ranged from fashion, wartime, media perceptions, and art. The excursions included Selfridges and Harrods, the Churchill War Rooms, a walking tour of the homes of well-known, British feminist icons such as Mary Wollstonecraft, and the National Portrait Gallery. I loved this class. If you are at all interested in feminism, gender perceptions, or social justice, I recommend this class. I received an A for the class.

Social Life:
I was located near some pubs, but, I was a bus ride away from clubs.