CAPA The Global Education Network Header Image CAPA The Global Education Network Header Image

Study and Intern with the CAPA Florence Program

Capa Florence - the time of your life!

After studying abroad in Florence for one month, I backpacked around Europe for a month and a half. CAPA gave me the knowledge and confidence to be able to travel to other countries in a financially reasonable, safe, and adaptable manner. The Capa Florence staff immediately made me feel right at home and made the transition to Florence a seamless one. One of my favorite memories is a hike that Capa hosted through the Fiesole hills on the outskirts of Florence. It allowed us to get a glimpse into life outside of the city and showed us the breathtaking beauty of the Italian countryside. Highly recommend this program!

Life changing in every realm possible!

Studying with CAPA was by far the most rewarding experience of my life! They provided me with much more than simply an education. Teachers took students throughout Florence to get a hands-on experience and learn about the culture in a real-world setting.

Why study abroad with CAPA

I have always loved traveling. Before entering college, I thought about the possibility to study abroad. My mom did when she was in college and loved her time abroad. After my first two years of school, I was so busy with academics and athletics that the thought did not cross my mind again until the fall of my junior year. I went in to speak with my schools study abroad office to see what my options were. I had always wanted to go to Italy and once I knew that was an option, I was sold.
Studying abroad was the best decision I have made in life thus far. Florence helped me grow as a person and become a better version of myself. I was completely out of my comfort zone when entering the country. Part of the reason I chose the college I attend is because of the size. I went to a high school the same size as my college, but it fit perfectly. When looking at locations to study abroad in, I knew I would not be able to handle a big city well. I am easily overwhelmed with navigation so I knew I had to stick to the something smaller.
CAPA International Education was a great fit for me. They have locations in 6 different cities around the world, including Florence. The program allow all kinds of different majors and they offer a wide range of classes. Each city has classes tailored to them which gives you the opportunity to learn more about your host city. One of my favorite things about the classes was that we stepped outside of the classroom to relate what we were learning with the city.
Being in a homestay gave me the opportunity to immerse myself fully into Italian culture. They not only gave me a roof over my head, but they were my family. My host family will forever remain a part of me and I hope to one day be able to return to Florence and visit them. Overall, CAPA offered everything I would want in a study abroad program and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Studying abroad was my best decision

When I first decided to study abroad I had no idea what I was looking for--all I knew was that I had to get out of town. Arriving to Florence didn't feel real. I had my own apartment in the middle of the city with other students and everything was amazing. Within the first two weeks I really traveled around my city and got familiar with all of the wonderful sites to see. Later on, I realized that I loved to write about what I was seeing. This got me started on my blog, which got me writing for online publications, which landed me my first real internship, and now my first adult job.

I had no idea just how inspired I was going to be by the city. Whether I was sitting in a cafe people watching or having lunch on the Arno River, I was completely immersed in inspiration. CAPA provided me with all the resources that I needed to succeed. My photojournalism class was amazing and we would travel around the city finding stories in everyday Florentine life. It's these moments that I will never forget.

CAPA provided me with all the assistance in finding places to eat on a budget and sites to see around the city. They gave me a wonderful apartment, and I made friendships abroad that I know will last a lifetime. And that's why CAPA Florence was the best decision of my life.

Once in a lifetime

The opportunity I had in Florence, Italy was a once in a lifetime experience that I would not trade for anything. Being able to live in another society is so rewarding. The memories that you make will last you forever. I find myself thinking about the amazing times and experiences I had almost every day. A bad day in Italy is still a day that you are in Italy. Go out and take advantage of every opportunity while you are abroad, you will thank yourself later. Eat as much as you want and really soak up the culture. Ask for directions and talk to the local people! The local people will usually give you the best suggestions for places to eat or drink that aren't very "touristy." If I could go back and start my time abroad again, I would do it in the blink of an eye!

Home Away From Home

Going into my study abroad experience I knew that I wanted to force myself out of my comfort zone in order to have a maximized experience in a foreign country. I was determined to make Florence my home away from home that I could always go back to. Instead of rooming with my best friends from Boulder, I lived in a homestay with locals. Instead of spending all of my time with English speakers, I spent quality time with Italian children as I volunteered teaching English at a local Elementary school. Through my time teaching English, as well as time devoted to my host family, such as going on walks through the gardens with my host mom, I managed to accomplish leaving Florence feeling like it truly is my home away from home. I can only hope that one day I will have the amazing opportunity to return.

Best Decision of my Life

When I began college I knew that I wanted to study overseas. I knew I wanted to travel and take advantage of the opportunity to study abroad for en entire semester, in order to see as many places as possible and experience new things and cultures.

CAPA offered an amazing program to me and fit my schedule perfectly. I chose CAPA for those reasons as well as the fact that they offered a program in the place I wanted to study in - Florence. I knew I wanted to study in Italy, and after researching all of my options, I decided on CAPA in Florence which happened to be the best place to call home. The CAPA Program's best quality, for me, was their kindness and ability to help. I instantly felt at home at CAPA and they were incredibly helpful with everything I needed to adjust to life overseas. They provided options to travel with very helpful and friendly guides, whom made everything a fun time. I could not have felt more comfortable at CAPA, which I think it so important being so far away from home.

Studying abroad gave me a new outlook on life and adventure. I really saw what I was made of when I was abroad, was able to come out of my comfort zone to experience so many incredible things. Now that I'm home, I use lessons I have learned while abroad every day and could not be happier that I did it.

Why Florence

I chose to study abroad in Florence for the art, history, and promise of pizza. However these three reasons are not why I left Florence with a heavy heart. When I first arrived I was nervous about the language barrier and meeting new people. In addition Florence is a very popular city amongst study abroad students. It can be easy to stick with Americans and never explore outside of the city center. I wanted to step outside of my comfort zone. Learning about our home city and country from staff and teachers helped me do that. When I was unable to make a class trip to Cinque Terre, a staff member told me how to get there on my own. Each of my teachers and school’s staff members showed me different sides of Florence that I never would have seen. It led to incredible adventures, like a day trip to the medieval town of Prato and discovering the shop of a Florentine artisan.

Looking back there are things I would have done differently, but overall Florence was an experience that taught me how to make a foreign city home. I learned how to take advantage of class trips and living so close to San Miniato (one of the most beautiful churches with an incredible view). I learned how to make each day worthwhile, a valuable lesson of studying abroad. Even a weekend at home turns into exploring the Boboli gardens and trying a world famous sandwich shop. It sound cheesy, but when you are in a foreign country for only a 3 months, you learn how to make every moment count.

A Semester in Florence

Florence was a great place to study and CAPA was a great institution to be at. I made a lot of friends and took 5 interesting classes. I had class each morning and was able to see Florence in the afternoons. As someone who really likes art, Florence was the perfect place to study.The administration at the school wee helpful and kind. They really helped me get involved in Florentine culture.

Semester of a Lifetime

The CAPA Florence Program was a great way to experience one of the most beautiful cities on the planet while engaging in interesting courses with fantastic faculty. I lived three blocks for anything that I needed. My days were spent in class, discover new restaurants, or finding a new museum to spend the afternoon in.

Take Me Back

Studying abroad in Florence was the best decision I have ever made. I was pushed out of my comfort zone and given the chance to learn more about myself in 4 months than I thought was possibe. I would do it all over again with CAPA if I could!

Best Experience of My Life

The CAPA staff and administration were so nice and helpful. They were available at anytime whether if you were sick or needed a recommendation for a good place to eat dinner. CAPA offeres a number of unique classes like, Intro to Sculpting, Cross Cultural Psychology, and Italian Cinema. I wish I could have taken all of the classes. Every professor had a passion for their subject and were there to answer any questions about Florence. CAPA also offers different MyEducation events that allows the students to engage with the community. Some events include a tour, a lecture, or some community service. CAPA and the apartments that we lived in were in a safe area and close to the city center. The apartments were very neat and clean and came with all the necessities. CAPA became my second family and I can not wait to go back

Three-and-a-Half of the Most Enriching Months of My Life

Every day held immense opportunity for discovery. I quickly realized how little I knew about Italy, Florence, and its people before arriving. Stereotypes were broken down, social dynamics were brought to the light, and I realized how much cultural diversity exists. Every person I met and every experience I encountered contributed to me feeling like a more conscious individual.

Carpe Diem

Studying abroad allowed me to truly live out "carpe diem". Florence was the perfect city in order to live life in that fashion. The location of my apartment was right in the city center where everything I could think of - food, entertainment, night life, museums, school, shopping, etc. - was all within an easy walk away with a multitude of options to choose from. Each day was filled with spontaneity, new encounters and adventues, and choices. The CAPA staff was phenomenal in assisting you to the best places in regards to whatever you may need around town and helping assimilate to the culture. They quickly became your family as we'd celebrate dinners together and run into each other around town. The classes brought the educational experience outside the classroom. They would take you to various places around town and integrate the lessons to what the city encompassed and offered whether it was museums, palaces, markets, little shops, etc. Each day was filled with various new experiences and things to awe over. It wasn't until I studied abroad in Florence that I truly learned to live via the old saying Carpe Diem!

Time of my Life

CAPA was everything I hoped for in a program. Our teachers were amazing and sincere, my host family was a dream and my peers became some of the best friends I've ever had. Living in Florence wasn't my first choice because originally I thought of going to Rome but if I had to do it over I would do it the same because of CAPA!

Life-Changing Experience

My most memorable experiences were weekend trips. My favorite trips were to Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast, Barcelona, Paris, and Istanbul.

I chose the CAPA program because it was affordable and a co-sponsored program, so I received direct credit. The CAPA program offered classes I needed to take to graduate and classes I am interested in. CAPA offered many day special activities and day trips that I enjoyed.

I lived in a three-bedroom apartment with five other girls. Our apartment was large and had three bathrooms. Our apartment was in close proximity to the CAPA center.

Life-Changing Experience

I had a great experience with CAPA Florence. The staff in Boston and in Florence with CAPA were incredibly helpful. Our apartment was large and had a great location. The classes were interesting and taught by interesting and knowledgeable professors. The workload was appropriate. There were many activities and trips included in the program. I felt very safe in Florence. I recommend studying abroad in Florence with CAPA International Education.

Greatest experience of my life!!

Going to Florence with CAPA was one of the best experiences of my life. It has definitely changed the way I view the world and has even changed my future professional goals. The CAPA staff was really one of the best aspects of the experience- they were so friendly, funny and extremely helpful. I really hope to go to Florence again some day!

Firenze

Being in Florence was always a dream of mine since I was a little girl, with CAPA all that was possible at a reasonable price. Also allowing me to get my minor in international studies. Thanks to CAPA and my home institution I was able to fulfill a dream and gain an experience that will forever change my life academically, professionally, and personally.

Best decision of my life

The CAPA program was a great pick for me. The staff was awesome; they helped you with whatever I needed. They provided different items to introduce and educate me on the Italian culture. It was overall a great experience and I'm very satisfied with the outcome.

Florence In the Fall

Studying with CAPA in Florence, Italy was literally a dream come true. I've always had wanderlust and wanted to get out and see the world, but I just couldn't see how I could do all that I wanted to do and get my education done in a timely manner. So studying abroad has been on my mind for quite some time. CAPA was a wonderful program that was always attentive to our needs, and always making sure we were comfortable and having a good time. The staff was so sweet an welcoming, and always there when you needed help. They put you in great apartments in the heart of the city that was close to everything. Cafes, markets, stores, museums, landmarks, the school, and nightlife was all within walking distance. The city was incredible, I couldn't have gone to more perfect location. Florence has so much to offer, with such rich history. Theres a new story round every corner, and every turn shows you something new and exciting. The lifestyle in Italy is very relaxed, and very attentive to truly living. I would recommend the CAPA Florence program to everyone I know.

The Time of my Life

My time spent in Florence with CAPA could not have been better. The teachers and program administrators did everything in their power to make sure each of us had what we needed for the duration of the program. My host family was unbelievable and I still keep in contact with them. If I had my experience to do over I would- a million times!

Caring, Unique, Authentic, Unforgettable, Personalized

What I gained most from studying abroad with CAPA, was the host family they with whom they placed me. For a girl traveling alone, and very far, for the first time ever, I truly felt like I had a family for those 4 months. I still call Ana, my house-mom, Mama. And my house-sister, Bianca, happened to be my same age and learning English so we would spend hours practicing her English and My Italian. We were both even studying similar things in school. She became my friend and sister very easily and when I've returned to Italy for a visit, I always have dinner with them and their dog Neve. (He's a big shaggy black dog...which is ironic because Neve means "snow" in Italian.) I have endless and inseparable memories of coming home from school (walking along the Arno to outside of the city - lucky me!) and eating dinner with Ana and Bianca, telling them about my day with Neve curled up at my feet.

All I wanted was to Study Abroad in Italy to fit into my Italian Minor. Unfortunately, none of the programs at my university were affordable for my family and myself. It looked like if I wanted to study abroad, it would have to be in another country. Then CAPA came to CU-Boulder just in time for me to apply and I jumped at the chance. I admit I chose primarily on affordability, but I am so lucky that it happened to be the most amazing program. It was small, so it felt more like a family than a huge corporation. The classes weren't just my normal college courses in a different country, but they all specifically related to the incredible city and culture surrounding me.

Worthwhile Experience

Study abroad with CAPA Florence met all of my expectations by providing a full cultural immersion experience. The opportunity to live with a host family gave me the once-in-a-lifetime chance to experience the day to day life of Florentines and to make unforgettable friendships. Throughout the experience I felt supported by the CAPA staff; while I was able to explore the city and travel on my own, the CAPA program provided a structure which assisted me in getting the most out of my experience.

Six Weeks in Florence = Memories for a Lifetime

From walking by the Duomo every day to playing charades with locals to the best carbo-loading there is, studying abroad in Florence was an unforgettable experience.

Through CAPA Florence, I was set up with what I needed to make my time abroad possible: an apartment with local Italian neighbors and one block away from Badiani (best gelato place in town), courses relevant to the city that helped me navigate the place, other awesome program students to share my experience with, a museum pass so I could see the David as many times as I want, and a supportive staff willing to help out with anything!

I knew I wanted to study abroad in Italy since I wanted to visit the country at a very young age. When I saw that CAPA offered Florence as a location, I was on board! Through my summer abroad, I learned about a foreign city in great depths, which developed me as a person in ways I would not expect. One of my favorite memories is from my third week abroad. In my Italian class, we just finished learning learning grammar structure and vocabulary useful for going to the market. I tested my skills at the deli across the street from my apartment and the man working there was so happy and so proud of me -- my first encounter there was not successful and I was speaking broken English to him and playing charades...I wanted turkey. Another awesome memory is officially getting a library card after we went there as a class. Another favorite would be naming a sandwich after my friend and I at the local panino shop. Or watching the sunset eighty times at Piazzale Michelangelo. Or that time I went back in the gelato line for the second time on CAPA's excursion to San Gimignano. Or being friends with the pizzeria owner down the street. Or seeing the David with my art history class.

It is safe to say that my six weeks with CAPA Florence provokes some of the best moments of my life, no understatement. I am so glad I got the opportunity to study abroad in such a beautiful location. The memories, friends, and experiences gained are concepts that words cannot describe. Go study abroad. Do it!