CAPA The Global Education Network Header Image CAPA The Global Education Network Header Image

Study and Intern with the CAPA Dublin Program

Running through memories

I cannot tell you how much CAPA has made this a beautiful experience. I look back all the time through my photos and sort of wonder how it all got swept up so fast. To the people who help guide us and to the places we get to visit, CAPA is there every step of the way to let you know you can do this, and that being abroad is way more fun than you can ever dream of.
I had the unique opportunity of working right where I went to school which was insane, and it was so much nicer to not have to commute and use up the bus fare. I was able to get to know and make friends with everyone in the admissions department, and was always there to dip a hand into new projects which were always fun and exciting. I was able to make classes, and internship, and a 3 day weekend possible and I have CAPA to thank for that.

I went home

While abroad, most of my time was spent interning back and forth between two theatres in Dublin, so I only had one class each week. We met Tuesday evenings for about an hour and a half. The class material was enlightening and engaging, but not difficult in nature. The first few weeks we focused on learning about the Irish culture/workplace, and then the class became a general internship course. "Homework" assignments would usually consist of self-reflection papers, watching a video and writing a response, creating a powerpoint, etc. We had one big group presentation, and one out of class mock interview. The workload was absolutely doable, but some of the assignments seemed unnecessary a couple of times.

The CAPA administrators in Dublin were incredible! From our day of arrival to our departure, they were always readily available to answer our questions and give dining/shopping/touring suggestions. They were very responsive to their emails and easily approachable in person. There were attacks in Europe during my time abroad this summer, and the CAPA team handled it like pros and made sure that everyone checked in and was safe. I know that we were in good hands.

I lived at Lad Lane Apartments. CAPA utilized many different housing areas for their students in Dublin, and this was mine. The staff were always so kind and ready to assist, so I will give them credit for that. However, it took almost two weeks to get my own key for the flat (I relied on my flatmates to always be around to let me in) and the wifi was not always reliable. The shower head didn't have a place to hook into the wall, so you had to hold it the entire time you were bathing. The flats were in a fairly good area, though. I never really felt unsafe if I was walking around alone, and it was within walking distance of a grocery store, pharmacy, several great pubs, and a couple American fast food chain restaurants. I was happy to come home to my charming little flat at the end of the day.

In regards to dining, I like to call my time abroad, "The Fish and Chips Tour of Ireland". The food was absolutely incredible, and yes, I indulged in so many fish and chips. Whenever I missed home, there was a Burger King right by my flat, so I went there a few times. The Irish are big fans of Thai food, so I tried some Thai a few times and it was great. But the traditional pubs were my favorite, by far. The food was amazing, the atmosphere was cozy and musical, and there was never an unfriendly face.

It did not take me very long to integrate myself with the Irish culture. My ancestry is heavily Irish and I was so incredibly excited about this study abroad experience, that I wasted no time thrusting myself into the Dublin scene. I frequented pubs to eat and listen to music, I toured the city and the rest of the country during every spare moment I had, and made friends with my coworkers. I made sure to spend just as much time alone and traveling as I did traveling with other people, because I learn best if I am on my own. I also made it a point to hang out with more Irish people than Americans, and it shows. I quickly picked up on the behaviors, the way that they talk and express themselves, etc. I still catch myself saying that, "I'm grand". I admire their culture for many things, but above all else, the Irish are friendly and accepting. I miss it so much.

I had no health emergencies during my time abroad. I know that during my second weekend in town I got what I call the "traveler's sickness": sore throat, tired, congestion, etc. It passed within 24 hours. I had a slightly sore throat at one point a few weeks later, but it was easily remedied with cough drops and tea. I
am unaware of any big health emergencies that occurred with other students in the program, but CAPA did a great job of making sure we knew where to get medical help if we needed it, where the pharmacies were and what resources they provided, and how to contact them if something happened.

I never felt unsafe once in Dublin. The people there were all so kind, hospitable, and carefree. Everybody jay-walked, and everybody helped strangers if they needed directions. Even when I got lost on my third day in town, I did not feel unsafe (just very turned around). I still wouldn't advise women to walk around alone at night, and always use good discretion since Ireland has a definite alcohol culture. But I never felt terribly unsafe in our city.

Rollins did well when it came to prepping me to go abroad. They sent plenty of information out, held one-on-one meetings, and we had a pre-departure orientation where our Campus CAPA Ambassador came and talked to us about her experience in Dublin. All of this, plus a LOT of personal research and prep, assured me that I was ready to go.

I worked mornings-early afternoon at Bewley's Cafe Theatre, located in Dublin City Centre. I prepped the theatre space for shows, folded playbills, seated guests, flyered around city, helped with administrative work, and guest relations.

I worked late afternoons-evenings at The Viking Theatre at Sheds, located in Clontarf (a northern part of Dublin city). I did a lot of marketing and publicity work. I flyered, organized lists of groups to reach out to for promotions, managed social media accounts, designed promo emails, etc.

Go out and sit in a pub and just talk to people. Seriously. I made plenty of friends in my workplace and that was a great base. But I made so many friends just by being friendly and having conversations with the people.

As long as we were respectful, they reciprocated. Most of the Irish people that I met loved Americans and were as fascinated by us as we were by them.

When I wasn't walking then I was taking the bus. It got me most everywhere that I went. I took the train a couple of times in town if I wanted to go to the most northern or southern parts of town. I only cabbed if I had to. Using the bus was the most convenient, and after getting used to it, it proved most effective.

I just appreciate people so much more. It is so important to appreciate the differences in people and this experience reminded me of that. At the end of the day, we're all just people. I wouldn't change a single thing about my time abroad. The weekly class got annoying at times, but my internships were eye-opening and the out of class travel was life-changing. In a way, I found myself.

Dublin: My greatest adventure

I chose to study abroad in Dublin, Ireland. It was the best decision I could have made.

During my time abroad I was an intern at a social media analysis company. The experience was enriching and positive; never a dull moment. I was able to tap into my major - Journalism, use innovation to suggest ideas, present content I researched, and pitch ideas to the young team. Overall, I am so glad I did my internship abroad - nothing can compare.

Some highlights from my experience abroad are travel, internship, and friendship. All three of those aspects of my experience abroad helped shape who I am and instilled me with new perspectives on the world and myself; the world is a much bigger place than we realize, but that is the beauty of study abroad. You get to see it from your own eyes and perspectives and make connections around the globe.

Four months in Dublin with a lifetime impact

Studying abroad with CAPA Dublin will always be one of the best decisions I have made in my life. From the Irish people, to the cultural immersion, to the spectacular trips and experiences I had, I truly had the greatest semester of my college career. The program advisors have an office on campus and are truly invested in each CAPA student's life, which made literally a world of difference whenever I had questions or concerns. I truly feel now that Dublin will always have a part of me living there.

CAPA Dublin: An experience of a lifetime

I studied abroad with CAPA in spring 2016 and it was a life changing experience. Between both studying and interning in Dublin, I was fully immersed in Irish culture in every way possible. I got to explore a career path that I now plan to pursue after graduation and made so many connections that will serve me well in the future. The smaller size of the program in comparison to others that my friends have completed allowed everyone to get to know each other really well and experience the country together. I made lifelong friends who I still speak to regularly. Dublin truly became my home and I cannot be more grateful for all of the opportunities I had while there as well as all of the opportunities I have gotten through CAPA after my return home. I cannot speak highly enough of this program!!

A Life Changing Experience in Dublin

I have never felt more at home than I did in Ireland, the people are by far the nicest I've ever met (and I live in the south, where everyone is polite), the culture was amazing and my study abroad program was so helpful and attentive to my needs. CAPA provides transportation passes for the bus which where a huge help when I needed to get across town quickly for a class field trip or an appointment. You attend Griffith college where a large portion of the student body are study abroad, giving you the chance to meet people from all over the world including, Norway, Hong Kong, France and Germany. We lived on campus in the apartments which gave us the chance to get to know local Irish students as well as other study abroad students living around us. I have never felt more safe in a city than I did in Dublin and can contribute a lot of that to all of the tips and speakers CAPA provided to inform us on how to stay safe.
Over all I would not trade this experience for anything and am so thankful that I had this wonderful and life changing opportunity through CAPA Study Abroad.

Study and Intern In Dublin

My overall experience with CAPA was amazing. The program offered support throughout the entire experience (even while applying). Dublin is an amazing city and CAPA allows its students the opportunity to explore it by giving students bus passes and encouraging our interacting with the culture--as the administration in Dublin are Irish, this is easy to do. They also offer great internship placement and if a student is not satisfied with their placement, then they will help settle that. There are also program inclusion trips that give us the opportunity to explore other areas of the country outside of Dublin, such as Belfast or Cliffs of Moher.

CAPA was the highlight of my life

I owe all who I am today to CAPA. Without them, I wouldn't have had two other incredible internships after. Dress for Success Dublin was more than welcoming to me. They are the sweetest people. I never felt afraid or homesick while I was away, but I'm certainly homesick for Dublin now that I'm back. What a place.

Dublin: My home away from home

I would definitely recommend Dublin as a study abroad location! Dublin is a great city filled with great diversity, but still rich in Irish history and culture. The people in Ireland are truly kind and willing to help. The Irish are very proud of their country and love to welcome people to experience the country they are so proud of. Dublin is an easy city to adapt to because it is so easy to get around. Within no time, I was able to feel comfortable in Dublin and call it home. There is so much to learn about Dublin and the country as a whole. There are always places to visit or see in Dublin, during free time. Dublin is a rich, lively city that took my heart very quickly.

CAPA as a program is great! You have on campus support and advisors to help you pre and post semester abroad. CAPA has everything very organized and you can count on them for help! Having the help and support when in a new country really gives peace of mind.

STUDY ABROAD, ITS AWESOME! (Especially in Ireland :] )

Studying and Working In Dublin Was The Best Decision Of My Life!!!!!

Pros-
Great experience working and taking classes abroad
CAPA faculty are willing to help you with anything
Friendly people
Making lifelong friends from around the world
Easy to travel around the country using public transportation
Great food from around the world
Everyone is passionate about sports

Cons-
Living area was small (Dorms)

Already Itching To Go Back

Dublin is a fantastic place to study abroad, especially for Americans. I experienced almost no culture shock, making the transition so much easier. The city is incredibly easy to get around and you can find everything you need (from groceries to nightlife) in the city center. The people are so friendly and welcoming, too! Between the host school, Griffith College, and CAPA, we had everything we could possibly need while being so far from home. Honestly, Dublin has become a second home to me. I miss the places I used to hang out at and the atmosphere of the city. I would go back in a heartbeat and I encourage anyone thinking of study abroad to consider Dublin.

The most amazing 4 months of my entire life

Studying abroad was the best decision I could have made. I chose CAPA because of the opportunity to not only study abroad, but to also be guaranteed an internship abroad. By interning abroad I learned so much about the Irish work style and I learned so much about Marketing and PR, my intended profession after graduation. Studying abroad allowed me to mature in ways that would not have come had I not gone abroad. I am so much more confident and outgoing now that I have travelled all over the world, and I owe CAPA for that.

Dublin is my home

Dublin as one of my favorite places I ever stayed for an extended amount of time. Everyone was so nice to me and I felt very at home. There was plenty to do at night and I was given an internship which was very beneficial for my resume. The program is amazing, and I have friends for life. I highly recommend it.

Studying abroad in Dublin is best decision I've made as an adult

I could not have chosen a more perfect place, program, or placement. Dublin was the absolute perfect city. I loved immersing myself in the rich history and urban setting. In all honesty, I fell in love with Dublin. I have no regrets on choosing Dublin as my destination. Further, I can't imagine studying abroad without CAPA. If I wasn't a senior I would try to go back or to another CAPA location. I am not sure I could afford it again, but I would try to make it happen - I loved working with them. Finally, my internship placement was the highlight of my study abroad experience. I was very fortunate to work with a leading advertising agency in the heart of Dublin's business district. My internship has already paid off greatly - I have received two job offers.

Dublin, Fair City

I studied abroad in Dublin during Spring 2015 with CAPA and loved it! The courses I took through the program really added to my immersion in the Irish culture as I was able to get a taste of the language, explore and analyze Dublin, learn about the country's history, and view numerous Irish films. The CAPA staff were extremely helpful and always ready to listen and make the experience enjoyable. Ireland is an amazing country and I loved living and learning there for four months.

Time of My Life in Dublin

I have absolutely no regrets about my time in Dublin! CAPA was always a very helpful program, and the staff was easy to contact whenever I needed help, advice, or just a friendly face. Ireland is an extremely friendly and welcoming city, and I had no time to feel homesick at all. It is very easy to navigate this city, with a straightforward bus system and average-priced taxis. I had some great conversations with the taxi drivers! My favorite part of this program was the internship component. I had really great coworkers who helped me get used to their system, and learn about the Irish workplace. This experience not only taught me many more life skills, but will look great to future employers. Dublin is a little more on the expensive side, but very manageable if you keep a weekly budget. If I had to go back, I would definitely choose CAPA again.

Great experience, wishing I could go back!

My CAPA Internship program in Dublin was one of the most fulfilling and educational experiences I have ever had! Not only was I immersed in an exciting, forward-moving city, but I was just hours away from the most spectacular sites Ireland had to offer. I loved my classes that coincided with the program to help ease the adaptation to Irish culture and the program was ready to help with absolutely anything I could have needed.

Missing Dublin!

I left Dublin this year with many new friends that were both Irish locals and Americans. The city is the perfect place to meet new people because it is small and easy to manage, and everyone you meet is friendly. I took the opportunity to not only travel through Europe during my experience, but also to travel through Ireland- Belfast, Galway, the Aran islands, etc. CAPA gave me a unique experience because in addition to classes, I was also able to intern at a small Irish company during my time abroad. I would highly recommend taking advantage of the internship component because I learned about Irish culture not just in a social or classroom setting, but also in a work environment.

Interning in Ireland!

I fell in love with Ireland during my semester abroad and would encourage anyone who is interested to go! Instead of writing many paragraphs, let me separate this review into a few key elements and expand on each of them
1) Living in Dublin
Griffith College, where we were enrolled, has on-campus apartments where CAPA students stay. You have a four person apartment (2 people per room) which you share with fellow Americans, although the rest of the dorm is diverse in terms of nationality. You also have 2 bathrooms and a living room/kitchen. It would not be described as glamorous, but it had everything we needed and it was nice to have the safety of a campus to come back to as a sort of home base. Being on campus also gave us closer access to things like the Student Union, which was a way to meet other students and attend social events.
Dublin itself is a great city. It's a young city, with a huge music scene and lots of museums and a lot of history. The Irish are the friendliest people I have ever met. It's a small city, so that although I got lost a lot at first, soon I was confident in navigating it and couldn't get lost if I tried. The pub scene is great, and don't be intimidated if you're not a big drinker! Just being in the environment is great; once we went to sports bar to watch the Ireland vs Germany soccer game and it was packed and loud and fun even without drinking! There is always live music, a comedy club that was free and VERY funny, and countless cute cafes and restaurants to check out. The bus system is easy to navigate, and the CAPA program sets you up with a bus pass which is a huge help!

2) Internship/Classes
I did the internship program and took 2 classes at Griffith. My internship was at Dublin City FM, the city radio station. I did things like assist the sound technician during the live show, sort through press releases for potential stories to give to the presenters, and make the Entertainment News for the website. Once, I was on air, reading the news bulletin at the top of the hour. I enjoyed the people at my workplace and value the lessons I gained from experiencing an international workplace, although my personal placement was could be frustrating at times when I felt a little underworked. However, almost everyone else in my program had good experiences in their placements, and I still felt like I learned a lot. For those of you that do internships, you meet with the other internship students once a week with a teacher who helps you navigate the new culture and explain cultural differences. This class is very helpful!
My other two classes were less work than I am used to in the States, but I still learned a lot! One was Irish History which I would recommend to anyone that wants to know more about their host country! The other was Sociology of the Media, where my professor was one of the smartest people I've ever met and it was a great class.
3) Other travels
One thing I was sure to do was explore a lot of Ireland instead of leaving every weekend to go to another country, although I managed to do a lot of that too. Friends and I found day trip via bus tours for a lot of great spots around Ireland. Also, CAPA brings you on trips to the Cliffs of Moher and Belfast that are included in their program, and those were two of my favorite places! Be sure to budget, and keep in mind when traveling outside the country that RyanAir is very cheap, but hostels, food, and public transportation can add up, so just be careful. I went to London, Amsterdam, Prague, and Rome and loved them all. Lastly: don't be afraid to look like a tourist! It's tempting to try to blend in, but those maps and info booths are really your best friend when trying to see all the sights. Don't be embarrassed about it!
4) Tips for future CAPA Dubliners
1) Give your all to your internship and try to make the most of it, but if you feel like it's not the right fit, speak up! The program leaders are truly there for you and will do what they can to make your experience a good one.
2) Get to know locals! One thing I wish I had done more of was get to know locals or other international students. We are roomed with fellow Americans so it can be easy to just connect with them and not make other connections, but it's something you should definitely make an effort to do.
3) Write things down! Keeping a journal would be good, what I did was get a postcard from wherever I went and wrote about my experience on the back. It might seem silly but reading them over later will remind you of things you may otherwise have forgotten about.

Best 4 Months

When people ask me about my time abroad there are two main things that stand out in my mind: the people, and the places. The people in Dublin and throughout Ireland as a whole are some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life. No matter where you go, you can start up a conversation with anyone and there will always be something to talk about. The Irish were very welcoming of Americans and were eager to learn more about our culture and teach us more about theirs. As far as the places go, there was so much to see in Ireland and Europe as a whole. Living in Dublin gives you access to bus tours all over the country full of scenic views and historic castles (and a lot of sheep). Aside from traveling just within Ireland, it is extremely cheap and easy to travel throughout Europe. During my 4 month stay, I was able to travel to Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels, Madrid, Barcelona, Prague, and Munich, all on a tight budget. Each place was incredible in its own way, although I would never have wished to spend an entire four months anywhere but Dublin.

CAPA Dublin 2014

CAPA Dublin differs from other CAPA programs in that it is totally immersive; you attend classes with Irish and international students. I found it very affordable and the staff very supportive. The trips offered by CAPA allow you to see more of your host country without breaking the bank and the staff is always available for other travel recommendations or help in general! Dublin is an extremely affordable and well-located city, so it is easy to venture out and see more of Europe. My only qualm is the program size- there were only three of us and I was not notified of the limited size beforehand. I think that would have influenced my decision, but I am still glad I went.