CAPA The Global Education Network Header Image CAPA The Global Education Network Header Image

Study and Intern with the CAPA Buenos Aires Program

Providing me with one of the best experiences of my life!

CAPA Buenos Aires is a fantastic program, it's set up extremely well through an established company and gives you a lot of different opportunities. All of your bases are covered before you leave with things like health insurance, living arrangements and other basic information like what to expect when you arrive. The academics are challenging just like they would be in your home institution but again CAPA is there to support you with checkups throughout the semester and an on site director who is available if there is any type of problem. CAPA also provides you with a MyEducation calender which is a list of activities that are taking place during your the months you will be in the city. This is nice because you might not always have time to find or even know where to look for free or cheap cultural event happenings and to have all of this information provided so you can make the most of your time abroad is great. CAPA works really hard in other ways to make your time abroad goes smoothly, for housing they have you fill out a detailed survey in order to place you in a living situation with people you'll be best matched with. While you are abroad you'll be in contact with several people including the director of your CAPA program and your CAPA advisor from back before you left who will all make sure you're doing alright and staying on track, all without being too overbearing! They're like a really solid support system that you can lean on-if you need to. If anything major comes up like you end up in the hospital or a criminal incident of some sort (robbery, etc.) they are right there on top of things with you. As for the other things related to studying abroad like traveling the CAPA Buenos Aires center housed within the host university is located extremely close to downtown and the major transportation systems there so getting around is easy. I was able to leave class and head to various locations throughout the city by taxi, bus or bicycle many times without having an issue. Throughout the Fall semster at least there were several week long breaks and many days when there were no classes on Fridays so exploring the country is definitely possible even while taking several classes. Many of the services on campus are available to international students as well like printing (although you currently have to pay out of pocket for that but it is significantly cheaper than say the U.S.), the cafeteria (the food there is ok, there's a homemade section where eachday hot meals are prepared and there's also a section to buy snacks and subs or empanadas in. Many students do end up eating there or at one of the restaurants close by like Burger King) and library which is small but functional. There are not a lot of activities that allow for the international students taking classes in English to interact with the regular university students though. Most often you won't have opportunities to meet people and will end up sticking with the people in your classes because there aren't many coordinated activities. The CAPA Buenos Aires program as a whole is really fantastic,it allows for a lot of freedom and opportunites but is also structured in a way that you feel prepared and well taken care of. Buenos Aires is an amazing place to visit and the program CAPA has in place to help you explore it is probably one of the best out there!

Sometimes dealings within CAPA like trying to getting answers or important information that you need for your program can be a little difficult but don't be afraid to actively pursue the people who are there to help you to do just that-help you out in a manner that works for you.

Finding Home Abroad

Before I even really considered study abroad, I frequently heard that once you go abroad, you will never come back the same. I can definitely say that this statement holds true for me. I never expected for my thought process to change so much over the course of for and a half months. However, I can say that it was all for the good.

Living in Buenos Aires, Argentina definitely brings out the inner social butterfly. I never found myself bored as my Argentine friends made sure that I was never without anything to do. Argentines are great because once you make friends with them, you can always count of them to be on your side. I made friends that I still speak with daily even having returned for 4 months.

My academic classes gave a great context in which I was able to learn certain things about the culture and then relate what I learned to my experiences out on the street. For example, learning about the past political and social history of Argentina helped understand a lot of the current words and slang that people use daily.

I also enjoyed my time I spend traveling. Going to Mendoza was one of the highlights of my trip. It is the wine region of Argentina and host impecable views with vineyards and the Andes Mountains are their backdrops. Biking for miles and enjoying the crisp and clean air is something I wish I could return and do!