CAPA The Global Education Network Header Image CAPA The Global Education Network Header Image

International Internships in London | CAPA The Global Education Network

Amazing Experience- Thanks to CAPA

CAPA London gave me everything I could have ever wanted out of a study abroad program. My internship placement was with Marriott County Hall Hotel in their finance department. As an accounting major (and aspiring CPA), I was excited to see what my internship taught me. My placement ended up being perfect. I loved the team I worked with each day and learned so much about the private side of accounting, which I can use in my studies moving forward and in the future. I didn't want to leave my internship at the end of the program and that's a testament to the people I worked with. The hotel is right on the Thames, next to the London Eye and across from Big Ben. Commuting there each day felt like a dream. My internship also allowed me to network with professionals in my field.

The overall experience will surely be a highlight on my resume. I took a course for my major, one for my minor and a course about London. I recommend taking a course about the city because it makes the whole experience of living, working and studying abroad more meaningful (and the field studies are great!). I enjoyed them all and the professors were real Londoners, which I loved. They were quick to make suggestions to us about what to do and see around the city and they were interested to hear about where we traveled on weekends. Choosing CAPA and deciding to intern I was most nervous I wouldn't have as much time to travel on weekends as my friends in other programs. I planned my internship hours around my travel plans and classes never interfered with my travel. It's totally doable.

CAPA planned tons of events and sent emails every week with what was going on. I really enjoyed the Southbank tour and Curry night! They also have trips to other places in the UK that are great. Our student council also did a boat party for us, which was SO fun! I met awesome people through the program that I know will be lifelong friends. I HIGHLY recommend CAPA London if you want a global city, real work experience with many cultures (since the city is so diverse), and a program that genuinely wants you to succeed!

Thank you CAPA for an amazing study abroad experience!

The City of Culture

During this past summer, I studied abroad in London through the CAPA International Education program. I would recommend this program to any college students looking for a reasonable and professional study abroad agency with a variety of destinations to choose from. CAPA prepared me for months in advance with constant emails updating me on travel tips, safety precautions, and a sneak preview of what to expect when I arrived. Prior to leaving, the CAPA staff in Boston was extremely helpful and professional in preparing me for my trip of a lifetime.

Once I arrived in London, I was more than pleased with my living arrangements. I was placed in one of the nicest areas in the city of London, Earls Court. It was central to everything I needed to reach on a daily basis, including the CAPA Academic building which was only a five minute walk from my flat. I shared a flat with 4 other girls and the building we stayed in was completely rented out to CAPA students. This allowed me to meet people from all over the country who I stay in touch with to this day. The flat was equipped with a security system on the outside door where only residents of the buildings could enter after dialing in a specific code. There was never one instance where I didn't feel safe in the Earls Court community or the flat that CAPA provided for us.

Aside from the safety element, CAPA provided it's students with incredible academic professors and impressive internship placements across the board. I was challenged by the courses I took and felt that I was actually able to take something away from just two short months of course content. My professors and the academic staff at the CAPA building in London were helpful and understanding whenever I had a question. Often times, the staff at CAPA would suggest fun things for students to do in London on the weekend and give us tips on the hidden gems in the area that only locals knew about. I was so grateful for this because some of my favorite places were suggestions from staff that I never would have known about otherwise. CAPA also plans out day trips for students enrolled in the program and provides transportation and tour guides to make the trip go smoothly with a large group of people. This past summer, CAPA offered us trips to Stonehenge, Bath, Kensington Palace, The Southbank, and many more. They were happy to offer advice and provide us with whatever information we needed.

Overall, London in general is an incredible city to study abroad in. Each borough has it's own personality and I can promise you will never be bored exploring the streets and indulging in such a vibrant culture. I would highly recommend CAPA based on the experience I had during this past summer. The academics were challenging, my internship placement and advisor pushed me to be a better professional, and the city of London is to beautiful to put into words.

Lifetime of Memories

My time in London has been the peak of my college experience. Living in a big city like London was an excellent way to adapt to what life will be like after graduation. Working at a law firm in London helped me not only gain personal insight into the legal field, but further allowed me to absorb myself into London's professional culture. The courses that CAPA offered were fun and interesting, as they also gave my further understanding of the great city around me. The CAPA staff was top notch, every single person in the school was looking for the best interest of the students. I feel as though, their passion for the program is a key part of what makes it so great. The ability to travel has also been a hilight of my experience, and I believe that I was able to see more of the world in four months than most people will in their entire lives. I would do anything to go back.

Best 4 months of my life!

My time in the CAPA London program was absolutely incredible. I studied in London in the spring of 2013 in a different program and fell in love with the city. When I first applied to CAPA, I wasn't totally sure which program I wanted to do. I changed my mind a lot, but the CAPA staff was always extremely helpful and frequently went out of their way to help me out. I ended up choosing London a second time and I had an immensely better time the second time around, which I didn't even think was possible. Every single CAPA staff member I encountered was helpful, knowledgeable, capable and friendly. I had an incredible internship which totally changed my life and took classes that connected me to some helpful people. My experience with CAPA was 100% positive and I hope to study with them again in a different program next year!

A Life Changing Experience Thanks to CAPA London

CAPA London was an experience of a lifetime. Not only was my internship placement at Elizabeth Arden, UK my dream job, but studying in a different culture was very interesting. Through taking the Shakespeare in London course I got to step out of the comfort zone of my major (Business Administration) and write reviews for different Shakespearian plays for pleasure. In the Learning Through Internships course that CAPA offered the students, we learned a lot about the culture and being proper business people. I am very thankful for this. Our living situation was also perfect. In Camden Town, we were surrounded by a diverse mix of English people that really opened my eyes to the beauty of the world. Experiencing a different culture really shows you where you fit in. If I could live in London the rest of my life- I would! I could not have had a better abroad experience and thanks to CAPA London, I have met friends and made great connections that will last forever. I am a strong advocate for this program and I appreciate everything that was done for students like myself. Thanks CAPA!

Falling in love with London

I had always wanted to visit London growing up and CAPA gave me the chance to do it and pack it full of valuable and practical experiences. The staff at CAPA are very helpful and can answer questions on just about anything from housing issues to where to travel for the weekend( I went to Paris, Belgium and Amsterdam). During the program, I was able to take two courses and complete an internship with an Independent film producer while still have enough time to explore the complex city of London and travel to three other countries. CAPA knows how to make their programs efficient and simple yet challenging. In my courses, I was learning valuable information and I felt challenged but I was not assigned any busy work. All projects and papers were relevant for what I want to do and added to my study abroad experience.

The most important addition to my resume yet.

If I could pick one particular aspect of the overall study abroad experience that CAPA excels at, it would be the internship program. The staff in the internship office are very good at what they do. CAPA seems to have a large presence within the professional community of London and they were able to get me an internship that really enhanced my worldview and gave me perspective as to what I want to do. I think the placement process is incredibly accurate with a lot of students, and even if you do end up not getting a good fit they will do everything they can to either help you through it or place you in the best possible alternative site. Honestly, I feel like my opportunities have opened up exponentially since having an internship with CAPA.

CAPA London

I had an amazing time with CAPA International Education in London. Although it was initially daunting to be dropped in the middle of such a huge city with a bunch of random people, it turned out to be one of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had in my life. CAPA was really good about trying to get you acclimated to British culture and customs. They never lacked knowledge on how to handle various cultural situations that we as Americans were not accustomed to. They were able to provide a lot of help and support in many different arenas. They also had a wide variety of interesting classes and internships available to the students. One particularly memorable class I took was Post-War British Popular Culture with Moe Dodson. He was very intelligent and toted his students all over London; places that one would never even imagine existing. It was an amazing class and made for a memorable experience. CAPA also offers a wide variety of trips and tours within London as well as outside of the country. If you do study with them it would definitely be in your best interest to take advantage of these offerings. Through CAPA I was able to have an amazing cultural adventure and make life long friendships as well as gaining much needed work experience. I highly recommend going on this program if you want to get work experience outside of the United States and have an overall amazing time.

CAPA London - One Amazing Experience

CAPA International Education was the best choice I ever made. It has certainly changed the way I view myself and the world today. The internship that I was placed in gave me work experience that now qualifies me highly among other students. The coursework gave me a great understanding of international markets and I made lifelong connections that I will never forget. I highly recommend taking a look at what CAPA can do for you.

Internship Placement:
The academics of CAPA can be intensive, but also relaxed enough so that you are not bogged down with classwork 24/7. The classes are focused on using real world application for every course whether it is for business or a general course. I learned a great deal about British history that I could not have learned through courses at home.

The living situation was well chosen as I was placed a ten minute walk from Kensington palace. I was able to walk to class every day and was only a 30/40 minute tube ride from the Piccadilly area. The flats were spread out across London which was hard at times for communicating with other students, but long as you were proactive in finding ways to meet, this was easily overcome.

CAPA has an unbelievable amount of events and activities for students to partake in. I took several tours, went to plays, walked through markets, and learned about the great history of London all as coursework.

The CAPA staff was always helpful with any issue and was quick to resolve problems. They were there for me when I left the program as well and even helped me with interview preparation while abroad.

Social Life:
It's the biggest city in London. If you can't find things to do then you aren't trying.

Interning, learning, and living in London

During my semester abroad in London, I Learned more than I ever thought I would, and not just in the classroom. I learned a ton about the world I am living in. I learned that a lot of the struggles and challenges we face as Americans are not at all the same thing that people in other parts of the world struggle with. This experience opened my eyes to all the great things I have had a privilege to and taught me to be fortunate for this. I would say this was definitely a worthwhile experience.

A semester of bliss

First of all, I'd like to say if I could do it all again I would in a heartbeat. I had the most life changing experience while studying abroad in London. I traveled to over ten different countries, met some lifelong friends, and learned a lot about independence along the way. That being said, are there a few things that could be improved about the CAPA program? Of course - there's always room for improvement!

First, I would have liked to have a choice between two internships. I did not particularly enjoy my internship. It was in the field of my choice (event planning) however the work that I was doing throughout the semester was definitely not what I had expected. It was a lot of cubical work and organization rather than hands on work with events. Had I known this is the work that I would have been going in to, I would have chosen a different internship or perhaps a different program.

Secondly, I believe that classes could have been structured better. They were about 3.5 hours long which made them difficult to pay attention in and unenjoyable to go to. If classes were shorter and offered more times throughout the week I think I would have enjoyed the academics a bit more.

Interning and Life in London; The Global City

The CAPA London Internship Program is a great opportunity for students to gain international internship experience. There are placement options for students of all majors. The professional connections and skills gained through my experience were invaluable to my professional development. Participating in CAPA's internship program is vital to one's cultural immersion in London. Due to the fact that students live and take classes with other American students, aside from interacting professors and those you meet on the street, the relationships students form with their coworkers will be their best exposure to British culture. If you are looking to only take classes, I recommend studying abroad at a university in London, not with a study abroad only program, like CAPA. Living in London allows students to observe the vast cultural differences in London. You can turn the corner and feel like you are in a different country. Classes are immersed in study abroad. Students can take theater classes that include excursions to see plays and tour theaters on the West End. Additionally, the Analyzing and Exploring London class allows students to gain first-hand knowledge of the issues Londoners have been faced with past and present. Living conditions are far superior to those of other students living in London. Apartments are spacious and are cleaned once a week by a cleaning service. I had the opportunity to live in Camden Town, a bustling center of counter culture. There was always something to do; there is access to eateries, a supermarket, a pharmacy, a cell phone service, and the infamous Camden Market is right around the corner. One way in which I feel that CAPA can improve their program would be to increase communication with students prior to their departure from the United States for London. I really feel like I had no clue what exactly the program entailed until I was there. The social life in London was great. There is plenty of time to explore the pubs and go clubbing on the weekends. The CAPA London student council puts on great social events, such as a boat party on the River Thames. I met some great friends through my time at CAPA London. Overall, I would give CAPA London a 9/10. I really had a great experience. I learned a lot and have a ton of fond memories. I would not trade my study abroad experience for the world.

Wonderful Experience -- still needs improvements

Overall, I had a wonderful experience in London with CAPA. I fell in love with the city, interned in my field, and traveled all over Europe. I highly recommend this program as a way to see another country that interests you and have a program take care of your housing, school, and job placement.

However, my apartment had quite a few issues (terrible mice, broken items, cramped spaces) and upon arrival I was told initially that I couldn't get into the classes that I was guaranteed I would be placed in. I also have never had such horrible professors in my life. Overall, however, I used my free-time wisely, made some best friends, and had the best experience of my life.

living in london

I met amazing friends and made memories that I will remember forever. I had so much fun and think about going back each day. It was life changing and I learned and grew so much as a person. I was able to find out what I want to do with my life and find out who I was. The cultural differences made me appreciate life a lot more

Loved my London internship

I traveled to London with my university for a spring semester. Completing an internship through CAPA was the perfect way to gain valuable international work experience. I never felt like "just an intern." At my placement at a magazine, I wrote original content and got to participate in planning meetings with the staff. I highly recommend studying abroad, and doing an internship while abroad. It is truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience and sets you apart as a job or graduate school applicant!

Not your average study abroad experience

If you are looking for an internship in one of the biggest and most globally central cities in the world, do this program. Having an internship in a global city gave me a much more global view on my job search for after college.

The program does not feel like you are at college.

You live in an apartment, you work 20 hours a week, and only go to the CAPA building maybe 3-4 days a week. You truly get the experience of a working adult in London. A great program for someone who is looking for independence and to grow up.

Internship Placement:
There was not a ton of homework, and I found the courses a bit easier than at my home university.

Right in the center of Camden Town, it was great

Lots of activities to help you get involved locally, DO the myeducation events!

Organized and helpful when you need it, not entirely hovering or overbearing

That really happened?

Going abroad was the best decision I have ever made. It forced me to be completely independent, separated from friends and family at home. It forced me to grow up. Being on my own also really helped to give me a sense of who I am as an independent adult, not as a unit with the people I have been with my whole life. I found out how smart I am and how well I can take care of myself. Most importantly it allowed me to see and experience people and cultures completely different from that of my own. People are products of our lives and surroundings, how can we truly know what we love and who we want to be if we only know one place or group of people? I am still learning about myself everyday as a result of this experience. I wouldn't take it back for anything in the world, it was truly the best time of my life.

London Living!

I studied and interned in London, UK with CAPA in spring 13'. It was honestly one of the highlights of my life. CAPA placed me in an internship with a small multimedia company where I got to work on so many different projects and people. A lot of my class included field studies where I got to see and explore the city in depth. I gain so much experience and learned so much about the culture and myself. I would highly recommend studying in London with CAPA.

I lived in West Kensington and never felt in danger or unsafe.

Social Life:
Although expensive, London has a great social life! Great markets and different parts of the city showcase all different cultures and lifestyles.

Experience of a Lifetime

Studying abroad with CAPA has been the highlight of my college career. I did a lot of research on study abroad programs before selecting CAPA. I can honestly say it was an excellent value for money and I would travel with CAPA again in a heartbeat. Initially, I was concerned with the quality of the accommodations, but CAPA places its students in comfortable flats, and I felt at home. I think the CAPA staff does a great job of combing educational activities, cultural experiences, and career development opportunities to create a comprehensive study abroad experience. I was very impressed with the weekend trip to Paris that CAPA arranged, and it was well worth the additional fee. CAPA's internship program really stands out to me, and I would recommend that everyone look into doing an internship abroad. Thanks to CAPA, I made great new friends and have memories that will last a lifetime!

Exciting Global Experience in London

CAPA London internships was a great experience that I gained a lot from. The main pros of the program were the housing, which was so central it was a really great spot to experience the city from, my specific internship and the skills I gained from it have really helped me with other opportunities already, and CAPA is really awesome at providing so many activities and events you might not otherwise get to do. I would really recommend anyone thinking about doing this program to take full advantage of that because it can be difficult to feel immersed in British culture since you take classes with all other study abroad students. It was also great how every class really encouraged getting out of the classroom and experiencing London.