Study and Intern with the CAPA Sydney Program

Location

Australia: Sydney

Description

The Sydney classroom is like no other, and CAPA brings you the best it has to offer. Through the MyEducation program, CAPA actively encourages students to explore beyond the confines of the campus in order to meet and interact with the full-time residents of the city. CAPA students are encouraged to participate in meetings, discussion groups and cultural evenings with representatives of the many ethnic and religious minorities who give Sydney its rich cosmopolitan flavor. A city of international business, fine arts, design, theater, technology, politics and finance, Sydney is an exciting, modern hub that inspires creativity and cutting-edge innovation. All of this awaits you during your time abroad!

Regardless of your major, the CAPA Sydney Program has academic courses to keep you on track while you soak up the history and culture of Sydney and the surrounding areas. CAPA offers a variety of study abroad courses with local visits and special lectures relevant to your study abroad experience. These courses are designed to engage you in critical thoughts and challenge you to pursue subjects in depth through academic and field research in Sydney.

CAPA International Education is one of the largest internship providers in Sydney. We have built an extensive network of internship sites, with opportunities available in businesses, non-profit and non-governmental organizations of every kind. Work with local people! Enhance your resume! Build professional skills and gain perspective! CAPA's internship program will help you build a network of international contacts in your field.

Highlights

The CAPA Sydney Center, housed at Australian Catholic University, is a lively place with a strong sense of community. The campus has fully equipped classrooms, a faculty office, a computer lab, a student lounge, wireless Internet access, local library access, and a resource room. The campus is well served by public transportation with easy access to all parts of the city.

Regular activities encourage interaction between students from the many institutions represented on campus and at local university campuses.

These include:
* Outings to museums, theaters, film festivals and lectures
* Special events such as holiday dinners and picnics
* Community service projects
* Walking tours of Sydney, including the city's different coastal areas
* Students live within commuting distance of the center, either in homestays, in shared apartments, or in dormitories.

10 Overall Experience

Going Down Under was the BEST decision of my LIFE

Studying in Australia was the best decision of my life. Not only did I get to travel to a new country but I made some of the greatest life long friends. I've been home for a little over five months now and I still think about Sydney every day and how much I miss it and can't wait to get back there!

CAPA did an amazing job with setting up the entire program. We stayed in serviced apartments that had a grocery store, liquor store, and restaurants all within the little apartment complex. Also since we all lived in the apartments together we were able to establish friendships quickly and easily.

Having an internship was the high light of my entire experience. I absolutely loved going to work and it is because the Australian attitude is so laid back, that work was always fun. My co-workers were always laughing, I was never stressed out, and we hung out outside of work. So not only did I make some more life long friends, I also made a ton of connections. When it comes to finding a job not only will it look great that I worked in a foreign country but the fact that they'll be able to write me recommendations and potentially help me get started down there if I were to move there.

Overall my CAPA experience was life changing and I don't regret one thing about it. I would recommend this program to anyone who likes to travel, wants to experience a new country, and enjoys making friends, because after all- the Australians were the nicest people I've ever met.

10 Overall Experience

Aussie experience

Spring break, where I got to travel to South East Asia and my internship. The whole program in general was a memorable experience but those two things stick out to me the most.

I wanted to study abroad in Australia, and when I told this to my abroad advisor she asked if I would be interested in an internship. Of course I said yes, and so she told me about CAPA. The rest is history.

We stayed in a "serviced apartment" which is basically an extended stay hotel, except a very nice one. It was a two bedroom with a laundry room, full kitchen, living room (with cable tv), and a dining room. It was probably the nicest place I've lived in college. They even cleaned our place and changed our bedding and towels once a week, so spoiled! On top of that they provided the laundry detergent, dish soap, shampoo, TP, etc. so there were zero extra living costs!

8 Overall Experience

A great Sydney Experience!

My most memorable experience in Australia would have to be during my break when I went up north to Cairns, where the Great Barrier Reef is. We went scuba diving and snorkeling there and it is by far the most memorable and meaningful experience of my life.

I knew originally that I wanted to go to Australia, but I chose this program because that CAPA offers an internship along with classes. Being able to intern abroad is very rare, and it was an experience that I really wanted to take part in.

The living accommodations were very nice and much better than my expectations. We stayed at an apartment styled hotel, so I really enjoyed that aspect. It's located right across the street from a nice park. Also, we had membership to the gym nearby and the aquatic center.