OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

Study and Intern with the CAPA Sydney Program

Great program!

I loved my time in Sydney, and CAPA made it all possible. They were available to help us whenever we needed--it was the perfect amount of structure while still letting us be independent and make our own plans. Highly recommended!

Livin' Down Unda'

This was the experience of a lifetime! I would never change it for the world. The housing was great and if there were problems the staff were helpful in mending them. Having the transportation provided was amazing, it would have been so expensive otherwise! It would have been nice to live closer to campus but I loved the neighborhoods around the apartment and the commute to my internship site and classes was not bad at all. I loved the city and the program, can't wait to go back for more!!

View detailed rating

The program offered so much!

My most memorable experience was attending Prince William and Kate's welcome reception to Australia, and shaking hands with them. I was nominated by my internship placement, and was chosen out of only a few hundred people. Never would I had imagined shaking hands with Prince William becoming landing in Australia, but like I said, life's better down unda!

I knew I wanted to go to Australia so besides that I was open to anywhere. I figured a central city would be good, in terms of being able to travel so Sydney was high on my list. The attribute that drew me most to CAPA Sydney was the ability to complete an internship.

I lived in the Meriton Apartments, which I usually describe as a long stay hotel. They had two full baths, a kitchen, washer/dryer in each room, a spacious living room and at least one balcony! There were 4 of us from our program in my room, two of us per bedroom. It was very new, and we had access to a gym and pool that was a short walk away. The staff was always very friendly and very trustworthy when cleaning the rooms! Wonderful place to live.

Life's better down unda!

The program offered so much! Living in Sydney, taking a few classes and being able to intern somewhere in the city! The housing was gorgeous and in a great location. You immediately make friends in your program by living with and down the hall from most of them. Being able to intern and get real experience working abroad, along with getting immersed in Australia's culture! This program had the best of both worlds, a great academic and social opportunity!

My Summer in Sydney!

I would highly recommend CAPA programs to any student interested in study abroad because CAPA does an amazing job of servicing students while overseas. They helped me find an internship in Sydney and they helped me feel more comfortable being so far away from home. I can't imagine studying abroad any other way! I also strongly recommend studying abroad in Australia. There is so much to see/do in Sydney and I wouldn't trade my experience abroad for anything.

CAPA Sydney Internship Program

I would recommend CAPA programs to any student interested in study abroad because CAPA does an amazing job of servicing students while overseas. They helped me find an internship in Sydney and they helped me feel more comfortable being so far away from home. I can't imagine studying abroad any other way! I also strongly recommend studying abroad in Australia. There is so much to see/do in Sydney and I wouldn't trade my experience abroad for anything.

We stayed in a very safe area in very clean and nice apartments. I loved it!

I was a part-time intern and a part-time student during my 7 week program in Sydney, Australia. I only wish that I would have gotten the opportunity to take my class with Australians so that I could have met more Australians who were my age.

My Summer in Sydney

Studying abroad was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I learned so much about myself and the Australian culture, my perspectives were broadened, and I made everlasting memories. I have found that my internship experience while abroad has proven to be very useful in interviews and on my resume. I can't thank CAPA enough for providing such an enriching experience!

Aussie experience

Spring break, where I got to travel to South East Asia and my internship. The whole program in general was a memorable experience but those two things stick out to me the most.

I wanted to study abroad in Australia, and when I told this to my abroad advisor she asked if I would be interested in an internship. Of course I said yes, and so she told me about CAPA. The rest is history.

We stayed in a "serviced apartment" which is basically an extended stay hotel, except a very nice one. It was a two bedroom with a laundry room, full kitchen, living room (with cable tv), and a dining room. It was probably the nicest place I've lived in college. They even cleaned our place and changed our bedding and towels once a week, so spoiled! On top of that they provided the laundry detergent, dish soap, shampoo, TP, etc. so there were zero extra living costs!

The Australian Experience

I spent the Fall of 2013 studying and interning in Sydney, Australia with CAPA. I had an internship with the South Sydney Rabbitohs - A National Rugby League Team. While I was there I took four courses which all counted for upper division business course credit at my home university. I can not say enough good things about the program and the city itself. Studying abroad was by far the best decision I've made in my academic career.

For future Sydney students I would recommend grocery shopping to save money on breakfast and lunches sometimes. Of course eating the local food is a huge part of studying abroad but there are times where saving money can be helpful. Also, do your best to mingle with the locals. I wish I would have been able to meet more Australians. Aside from those two pointers, everything will be easy to figure out. CAPA does a great job of setting you up in an awesome housing situation as well as setting up the classes you pick and an Internship in your desired field.
If you have the chance to do this - what are you waiting for?! Get out there and see the world, you will love it!

Burning desire for International travel

Sydney was unlike anything I have ever experienced. Studying abroad was the greatest choice I could have made. Arriving in Sydney was a new experience that I would soon never forget. The country is a beautiful place highlighted by the coast and Sydney in particular. Getting to all the tourist attractions was a treat and truth be told, seeing the opera house in person takes your breath away. Being in Australia for three months is something I will probably never be able to do again unless I were to live there. Walking around the city was a treat, and being with the Sydneysiders made me feel great and thoroughly welcomed. The night life was great, the weather was excellent, and the experience was unforgettable.

Going Down Under was the BEST decision of my LIFE

Studying in Australia was the best decision of my life. Not only did I get to travel to a new country but I made some of the greatest life long friends. I've been home for a little over five months now and I still think about Sydney every day and how much I miss it and can't wait to get back there!

CAPA did an amazing job with setting up the entire program. We stayed in serviced apartments that had a grocery store, liquor store, and restaurants all within the little apartment complex. Also since we all lived in the apartments together we were able to establish friendships quickly and easily.

Having an internship was the high light of my entire experience. I absolutely loved going to work and it is because the Australian attitude is so laid back, that work was always fun. My co-workers were always laughing, I was never stressed out, and we hung out outside of work. So not only did I make some more life long friends, I also made a ton of connections. When it comes to finding a job not only will it look great that I worked in a foreign country but the fact that they'll be able to write me recommendations and potentially help me get started down there if I were to move there.

Overall my CAPA experience was life changing and I don't regret one thing about it. I would recommend this program to anyone who likes to travel, wants to experience a new country, and enjoys making friends, because after all- the Australians were the nicest people I've ever met.

The greatest 6 weeks of my life

Studying abroad with CAPA was an incredible experience. CAPA arranged living situations, transportation and internship placements, which made the transition abroad much less stressful. They led multiple events to introduce students to Australian culture and staff members were always helpful. If I could do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat!

I had a 6-credit internship, so I did not take any other courses besides the Learning Through Internships supplement class.

We were living in the Meriton Serviced Apartments, which were new, furnished and cleaned weekly. There were 4 students to an apartment, but the rooms were spacious and comfortable

CAPA provided many opportunities to learn about the Australian culture. However, since we were living with a ton of Americans at the Meriton Apartments, I had very minimal interaction with locals. I would imagine that students who chose a home stay would have experienced greater cultural immersion.

A Summer in Sydney

Completing an internship while in Sydney, Australia was probably the best decision I have ever made. The opportunity to learn about the workplace culture of a different country and meet and work with locals was an unforgettable experience. CAPA International Education organized everything I needed to succeed in my internship including finding an internship site, accommodation, and organized a travel agency for weekend getaways to vineyards, surf trips, and the Great Barrier Reef. The program was absolutely incredible and each student was given the freedom to explore the city on their own after the first weekend. The CAPA staff were amazing and always there to help and provide tips to make each student's time abroad amazing.

CAPA Sydney = AWESOME

This experience taught me to get out of my comfort zone and live spontaneously! It was a blast. I became much more sociable after this trip and better at doing things on a whim. DEFINITELY stay with a host family. Mine treated me like family and allowed me to have a great time abroad - plus they made AMAZING food. :)

View detailed rating

Such an incredible and life changing semester!!!

Studying abroad in Sydney through CAPA International absolutely changed my life. It opened my eyes to a different culture and further developed me into an independent person. CAPA provides students with so much information regarding the surrounding areas and opportunities to explore as a group. I was able to do everything that I wanted to do during my time abroad. One of my accomplishments during my time in Australia was learning how to navigate their public transportation system, which includes ferries, buses, and trains. By the end of my trip, I could get around the big city of Sydney with no problems. Other than learning how to maneuver the Sydney area, I thoroughly enjoyed having the opportunity to have an internship in a local school for kids with special needs, which correlates with my major. I was able to learn so much and create an international reference that will help in finding a job once I graduate. I miss Australia so much and look forward to traveling back there someday! I definitely recommend studying abroad in Australia through CAPA International!!

You Must Go!

This semester abroad was the best decision that I have ever made. I would encourage everyone to seize this opportunity because it has changed my life and I am positive it would change your life as well. The cultural diversity that I was exposed to and the positive perspective I have left with has been one of the many valued changes I have undergone. I was able to accomplish more than I thought was imaginable. I went skydiving, attending Hillsong Church, climbed the Sydney Harbor Bridge, and watched a performance in the Opera House. I was able to conquer public transportation and learn about the different lifestyles of the people in Sydney. This has benefitted me in numerous ways and I was able to develop professionally, mentally, and spiritually. Simply, the best three months of my life.

My indescribable journey abroad

Most Incredible Experience of My Life

Through this experience, I learned to be independent. In the Sydney program, you live on your own and have to get yourself to your internship through public transportation. Learning to use public transportation and learning my way through the city was my biggest accomplishment. I was so proud of myself by the end of my time in Sydney, because I could get myself absolutely anywhere in the city. I always felt completely safe using the public transportation. Everything was clean and everyone was very friendly.

Difficulties:
I struggled to stay on a budget in Sydney. Everything is very expensive and I always wanted to go out and do things. I spent more than I had wanted to, but in the end I do not have a single regret. It was all worth it and every experience I had was incredible.
A few of the things that I got to do including: surfing, snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef, climbing the Harbor Bridge, and seeing a show in the opera house. And these are just the big things. My day to day life was just as exciting. We never had any down time, and the CAPA program was great about providing some activities for us to do. The staff was always very friendly and helpful, and I always felt very supported by them.

I learned a lot about Australia through the classes, but they were not very strenuous. This was a good thing and a bad thing, in that I liked not doing a lot of work, but I felt like I took a semester off.

The apartment is incredible! I loved where we lived. The only downside was how far it was from our campus. It took about 45 minutes to get to our classes.

A lot of the cultural immersion is for you to do on your own. CAPA offered some things, but most of the immersion I got was from me finding it.

I had no idea that the CAPA staff would be so helpful! They were so friendly, and provided so much help for me throughout the three months I was there.

I felt so safe and comfortable in the city at all times. Even taking public transportation late at night, I never felt unsafe.

Experience of a Lifetime

My time in Australia is filled with so many great memories of the friends I made and the experiences I had. It honestly was more than I expected. CAPA was such a great program t do because once we got there they gave use all the resources and tools we needed to navigate the country. They were there to make sure that we didnt worry about much our first couple of days and had events planned for us that helped us really emerge ourselves into the country and its culture. CAPA was so helpful throughout the whole process from pre-departure things to the last night. Knowing that you have a support system to turn to when you were unsure of anything (esp. being in a different country) was a great feeling. Academic weren't tough and interning while there provided us with such great experiences as well as helping up boost our resumes. They were spot on with the placements and really took into consideration our fields of study.

Indescribable experience!

CAPA was unbelievable. Study abroad is amazing in itself, but CAPA made it that much better. They took care of everything for me, from finding my internship, to finding my housing, to supplying grocery money every week! CAPA is organized and reliable, and changed my life.

View detailed rating

Living the dream in the land down under

CAPA was the perfect program for me. I wanted to experience everything possible while going abroad and CAPA helped me to accomplish it. I was able to intern, take classes, travel, and immerse myself in the Aussie culture.
Interning abroad is something I would highly recommend doing. It gave me more insight into the way I view my home country, and well as helped me to see parts of Australia that I never would have seen otherwise. While working for a non-profit organization, I was able to connect on a more personal base with my host country.
Classes abroad are also great in showing you more about the country you are living. I was able to gain an insight into australian history, politics, and business. Also I was able to reflect on my internship in these classes as well, which helped me to realize what I liked and didn't like about the work life culture in Australia.
Traveling is also absolutely amazing. Whether its throughout the territory of Sydney or exploring other places, every sight you see is breath taking. Make a list of all the things you want to see and do before you leave, and try to cross them all off!
Overall I had an amazing experience with CAPA. I loved this program and would do it again in a heartbeat if given the opportunity.

Loved it!

My trip to OZ was amazing. I had the time of my life, CAPA is so supportive in the entire process and the internship option was the biggest highlight for me. Being able to gain experience working abroad is what set CAPA apart for me. The living is absolutely wonderful and very comfortable. The optional activities such as the walk about park, and tour of the city were great. I loved the optional trips for the entire group and opportunities to bond with the other students. I really enjoyed the week break to be able to travel as well.

Studying and Interning with CAPA Sydney

My time in Sydney was more than I could have ever hoped for. I decided to study abroad with CAPA because I thought the opportunity to intern while abroad was so unique that it was something I couldn't pass up. CAPA pairing me with my internship site, the HIV/AIDS Legal Centre of NSW was the best thing that I got out of studying abroad with CAPA. I was incredibly impressed with CAPA's ability to match us as students with internships that not only contributed to our studies but to our overall cultural experience. As far as just studying with CAPA, looking back I now can see the knew exactly how far to hold our hand when we entered the country and then when we needed to be pushed off the cliff to go discover it on our own. I enjoyed being more on my own while living in Sydney, but knowing that CAPA was there when I needed something I couldn't figure out on my own.

I loved that my teachers strived to get my classes out of the classroom and into the city as much as possible. They did a fantastic job at stimulating an interest in learning about the city we were living in.

Living in serviced apartments were fantastic and in a great area. Just wish it wasn't quite so far from our campus.

A Review of CAPA International Sydney

If you are looking for a program that gives you both an educational and professional experience, look no further than the CAPA Education Program. With locations including London, Beijing, and Sydney, CAPA will let you learn about the culture of your host city, while also letting you gain experience in your major through internships for credit. The housing is top notch with all your standard amenities, with certain locations also having weekly cleanup services. Getting around is easy with a public transportation card included with your costs.

Make sure to evenly space out your classwork, otherwise the last few weeks will cause much suffering.

Truly a great experience

Going on the CAPA Program is an experience you'll never forget.

Besides it's relatively cheap cost, the internship placement, and the location, there are many things about this program that make it unique. You get to stay in the Meriton Serviced Apartments- not in a dorm at a University. Think of it as staying off campus, with incentives. Each apartment has at least two balconies, 24 hour room service, a full kitchen, and two bathrooms, not to mention the spacious living area with a large flat screen TV (but you probably won't be watching too much if you spend your time the right way), and the gym and sauna access. It's conveniently located next to a small market, some shops, restaurants, the highway, a fabulous park (with great sight lines of the city), and the bus stop. It is without a doubt a great place to stay.

You get to live with other Americans on the program, so if you are fearful of living on your own, you get the camaraderie and a little dose of culture to fall back on when you need it. Some planned trips in the beginning of the program allow you to make friends with the other students very early on.

Of course, this doesn't mean you don't meet Australians or anyone from a different culture. I certainly met many people from all over the world through my travels and still communicate with them today- 6 months later. As is the case with any abroad program and experience, meeting people, and immersing yourself in the culture is completely up to you. Australians are all around- trust me when I say you meet many people. Make the most of it.

The program is there for you when you need any assistance. I can't say enough about how they helped everyone on the trip.

While abroad, I was more freely able to step out of my comfort zone, as high as 12,000 ft in the air, and as low as 60 ft in the waters below. I gained invaluable cultural awareness, experience, the knowledge to successfully live on my own, and the lasting sensation that I can do anything in the world I put my mind to. I highly recommend the program.