Camp Europe Header Image Camp Europe Header Image

Summer Camp Counselor in Europe

My review

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Camp Europe. The training is a lot of fun and it is enjoyable working with like minded and multicultural people. I would recommend doing the summer camps. It is hard work BT is rewarding.

More than just a summer holiday

I have worked with camp europe for the past three summers. The way the camps are run gives you so much freedom to how you run the programme so there is lots of room for creativity. My favourite thing about camp europe is the people you meet. You get the opportunity to live and work with people from all over the world who you get very close with them very quickly. Every year I have travelled after camp with new teamers I have met that year. I am currently travelling in Canada with people I met at camp and staying with people I met at camp. There is always a couch to sleep on from fellows teamers anywhere you go in the world.

Amazing experience

Being a camp counselor here was a great experience. Hard work, but I met a ton of amazing people from all over the world. I would definitely come back and recommend it to anyone. The days are long hours and hard work but in the end it is worth it.

• The Adventure

Best choice I've made

I've been a camp counselor twice and still want to come back next summer. It somehow makes you addictive. For several reasons I must say. You get to know people from almost all over the world, you experience a life without digital devices, you see happy faces every day (and night), you get to know children from different social levels, you can learn from more mature people as well as from children, if you don´t have English as your mother tongue you will improve your English or other second languages, you get an insight of different cultural traditions, you improve your organizing skills, etc. I definitely would recommend you Camp Europe if you like to spend the summer with crazy people and children in the nature.

Magical time in a magical surrounding

This was my 6th year with Camp Europe. I wouldn't spend my whole summer in camp, if it wouldn't be an amazing experience. While friends go on holidays or traveling together, I asked myself every time I go into the forest: "Why am I going to work the whole summer again?" But then, as soon as I get picked up at the train station and switch my brain into the english language, the camp spirit comes over me and I know the answer: cause summer with Camp Europe means loads of fun, campfire every night, great new (and old) friendships with people from all over the world and at least one surprise every day.
Even after some summers with CE, I am still not used to wake up early, but the atmosphere in camp keeps you going day for day. There will be moments where you are full of energy and happiness, but there are as well those moments, where you wish to be at the other end of the world or just out of camp.. but my experience showed me, that, however you feel, you are more than welcome to just be yourself in camp. And what makes me really happy to see every year is, that counselors make great friendships and have "reunions" even after weeks somewhere over the world.
Camp with all the good and bad points is definitely a time in my year, I do not want to miss.

An amazing summer

I have been to camp for two years now and both times I had the best time of my life. I have met so many great people and learned so much in my time here.

It starts with a great training program, which has over 100 different people from over 20 different countries, who you end up making great friends with and takes away the awkward get to know you phase when camp officially starts.

I have been to camps in Ireland, Neuburg, Josofen and Bitburg and they all offer different and amazing things to learn such a high ropes, canoeing and kayaking, dancing, sports and a lot more. A lot of the things I have done here I only learned for the first time at camp as well and to get to pass this on to the campers is great as well.

I highly recommend this program to everyone who is enthusiastic as it will be the best time of your life and you will learn so much and meet some new amazing people.

Best summer experience

Camp Europe was a great summer experience, and I'm looking forward to coming back next year. This was a great opportunity to work with children in a variety of capacities, from a huge range of backgrounds. Not only did I have the opportunity to teach them English, they in turn taught me so much about their cultures and languages. I loved the opportunity to engage with the other counselors as well, collaborating with our different experiences and cultures as well. Although a bit disorganized, it provides a great opportunity for independence, improvisation, and thinking and planning on the spot.

Amazing experience

Would highly recommend working with Camp Europe- truly amazing summer in Bitburg! I had the opportunity to work both with the English language camp and the Adventure Camp program. In addition to a great work experience, I met some truly wonderful friends and coworkers.

A marvelous summer time in Europe

I was really looking forward to take part in this program, mainly due to the fact that it perfectly combines my 3 biggest passions> Traveling, Nature, and Teaching. I am a grade 5 Canadian Teacher who enjoys having 2 month off during the summer, and normally spend the month of July at my family's cottage in Northern ontario (surrounded by nothing more than lakes and forest) and the month of August I embark towards a different world destination. Well, last summer, I got to do the 2 months, working with children, in a natural environment, at a very international atmosphere camp in Europe. Spent 4 weeks there as a Language coach at 2 different campsites (Ireland and Germany) and 4 more weeks traveling around in the company of great friends I met there during training and throughout my placement. Long story short, all aspects of my summer adventure went beyond my expectations.

How to experience an awesome summer in Europe

Camp Europe is definitely something you should have done in your life! I can't think of doing something else during my summer holidays anymore. I don't want to miss a single camp summer anymore! You get to know people from all over the world, you work with them day and night and you don't get mad of camp because it's such an amazing atmosphere. It's awesome to see kids and teamers from so many different nations working, playing and learning together from each other in the middle of nowhere in a forest in Bavaria. It never gets boring, there are always frogs to catch or fires to light. You can teach kids so many things but you can also learn from them.
It's just an amazing combination of working with kids and getting to know the other teamers at during work but also at night at the campfire.
Camp even inspired me to study for being a teacher in a few years because I enjoyed the work with the kids so much.
But to get to know camp, you have to try it yourself!

Camp Europe 2016

Camp is rewarding in many facets, but the two that stand out to me are challenging yourself in a new and somewhat intimidating environment (a foreign country looking after strangers' children), and meeting many like-minded international people (and Germans, of course, who are very welcoming).

Logistically, a lot of details were subject to change quickly and at the last minute, but this also allowed for a valuable flexibility that I think is wholly beneficial. Some who crave absolute adherence to structure were left a little stressed from what I could tell, though.

Euro-summer

Well, the summer experience started fantastically. I landed in Amsterdam, 3 days later took the train to Berlin where I enjoyed of so many great museums and such an upbeat nightlife, and later went to beautiful Hamburg to finish off with my pre-placement traveling.
Next, i showed up at the training where i met people from 23 different countries, all of them looking for sort of the same experience: spending the summer months working at a natural environment, doing fun activities and performing as a role model for children and youth. Those 10 days were pretty intense and quite exhausting, but really worth-while, as we got to learn a lot from all the different workshops, and from sharing and listening to everyone's experiences and backgrounds.
When I started my placement as a Language coach, i was starting to feel comfortable and bonding with my campers, when I sadly got a bad news from home, and had no option to leave the program and support my family in such bad moments. The senior staff at camp were very understanding of my personal situation and helped me out in every aspect.
It was very sad I had to cut short my placement and travels. Nonetheless, I am confident I will get a chance to go back next year.

• The Adventure

Teamer training and three weeks of camp

I arrived in the airport in Hamburg on a hot June day with no expectations and barely a clue about what I had signed myself up for when I accepted the terms and conditions of the job “Teamer (Camp Counselor) at Camp Europe in Walsrode, Deutschland.” After wandering about and feeling a quite lost, I was drawn to a group of mismatched and equally clueless young adults under the golden arches of McDonald’s -- the universal meet-up point in any airport, it seems -- and threw my backpack onto the growing pile of bags, shoes, ukuleles and water bottles. I would be stuck with this group of 150 energetic, scatterbrained, wild-spirited, intelligent, and international dirtbags for the next two weeks, (and some the whole summer) as we completed intense teamer training sessions during the day and intense teamer hang out sessions at night. In those two weeks, I made friends with people from as far away as India, Bolivia, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand and as close as Ireland, Germany, and England. To quote my journal from those days back when I was still a recent scholarly graduate, “It was not a clash of cultures but rather a celebration of vibrant diversity.”

The days of training were packed. We learned to cook for large groups in the industrial camp kitchen and we ate the meals together in the giant dining tent. We got lifeguard and first aid certified and as an assistant high ropes instructor I was shown the ins and outs of the camp’s zip line, giant swing, climbing tree and giant ladder. That week we learned how to handle group dynamics, bullying, homesickness, and liability, we were shown how to lead team building and camp games and how to pick kids up from airports and train stations nearby (who cares if you don’t speak the language or know the area!). We all slept in canvas platform tents and took “power showers” together in the group showers (if there was time). At night, we went swimming in the lake and then warmed up with free “teamer Milch” (beer) and a campfire in the camp Yurta or out under the stars.
Then camp actually started and we learned a new meaning for the words busy and tired…
A typical day at camp:
7:30 – Roll out of bed and into your shoes if you are leading a morning sport (please no Polar Bear Club!) for youngsters who cannot sleep when the sun is up (yes, it starts to get light before 5 am in the summer and kids will wander about, play basketball loudly, or get into other shenanigans).
8:00 – Scramble to wake up your tent group (a group of 5-9 kids you are completely in charge of all week) if you overslept or were leading a morning sport or wanted to take a shower or you simply forgot to wake them up earlier.
8:00 – Breakfast. Run across camp, urging your groggy kids to go faster as you hear the “Camp Song” playing and try not to be late so that there will still be spoons left for cereal.
9:00 – Sigh with relief as morning activities start and you can say goodbye to your tent group for a bit. And then accept the wave of new kids who you are in charge of for the next activity.
9:00 – 12:00 – Lead kids through knot tying, belaying techniques or how to wear a harness and then act calm and try to keep them from hurting themselves as they take their lives in their little hands and belay each other up and down the courses. Whew!
12:30 pm – Lunch. Hope that the whole tent group shows up to the “Camp Song” and that you don’t have to run around camp looking for them or wait with a whining, hungry group of youngsters until the group is complete. (Push-ups may be involved for late comers.)
1:30 pm – Pray that your group does not have duties and can have siesta time instead (at least then there is no proof that you have absolutely no control over your kids). If you do have duties (please not the washrooms or kitchen clean up!) then put on a fake smile and pull energy from deep within your being (you learn to do this very often) and plan on doing about 75% of the work yourself. If you don’t have duties, prepare some incredible argument to convince your kids to shower or clean their tent (or at least stay in the tent)…if they don’t understand English then throw all shame to the wind and use the ten German words you know as creatively as possible to get your point across.
Afternoon – Hope that you signed up to lead a fun afternoon activity that you actually know a bit about…Maybe it is water sports (no, that does not mean simply swimming in the lake, you must plan structured activities and challenges), maybe climbing again (no, we are not doing the zip line today), or maybe bushcraft (what the heck is that and why did I decide to lead it?).
6:00 – Dinner. Again, hope that your kids are hungry enough to show up on time and prepare to be bombarded by them afterward for phone time. Try to remember to drink a coffee or two because the day is only about halfway over.
After Dinner – While the kids are somewhat absorbed in their phones for a few minutes, run around camp and try to figure out what the evening activity is and if everything is ready for it. Maybe you will have 3 minutes to come up with a costume out of tin foil for a Greek themed Olympiada or maybe you will have to come up with a playlist for a two hour disco (without internet or a working computer, of course), or maybe you will have to mentally prepare yourself to be tortured to beauty by your tent group for “Pimp Your Teamer” night. Either way, your body is screaming to sit down and take a break, but you know that word doesn’t exist at camp.
Evening Activity – See above, just add the chaos that comes with trying to organize 100-200 kids into any kind of slightly efficient configuration where at least some of them have fun and most of them come out alive.
9:30-11:30 pm (depending on the age of your tent group) – Try to get your completely hyped tent group to brush their teeth, use the bathroom, change into pajamas, and get into bed in less than an ungodly amount of time. Then read to them, light a candle or do anything in your power to get them to fall asleep quickly.
11:00 pm (but honestly probably midnight or later) – Teamer meeting. Yeah, you thought the day was over, didn’t you? No. It is not. Scramble over to the Yurt, or the headquarters building, or wherever the teamer meeting is (or just run around the camp until you find the meeting because it always changes location without warning). Settle down with your equally exhausted colleagues and talk about the day, plan the next one (yes, you MUST sign up to lead activities!), and share some of the “bloody brilliant” things people did that day.
1:00 am – Hope to life that you are not “Night Cat” (required to stay up from 1 am to 5 am) so you can crack open a teamer Milch with the others. This is the first time all day that you actually feel awake….therefore, you stay up with your friends, you say yes to another Milch, you eat way too many Doppelkeks, you share stories that may or may not be true, you play “Never Have I Ever” and reveal way more about yourself than you ever have to anyone you have known for only a few weeks, you try to sneak pretzels into peoples’ drinks, you try to roast cookies on the fire and to ninja steal other peoples’ roasting cookies, you drink, you complain, you laugh, and you are exhaustedly happy….and then you look at your watch and you suddenly realize that morning sports start in four hours…

It is tough but rewarding to be a camp counselor

Working at Camp Europe represented a completely new challenge for me, I was seeking for new experiences and I definitely got it here. Long and exhausting journeys became part of my routines, from 7:30 in the morning until mid-night sometimes, it makes you feel useful and it will definitely challenge your strength. After living in four different countries I thought it would be normal for me to be out of the comfort zone, but living in the camp was something completely different, the charge of work, the type of food, being unconnected with the world ( not having internet access), or even not having time to call your family or in some cases not having time for showering, it definitely changed my way of thinking. It was once in a lifetime experience which allow me to learn a lot about myself. The team work and the sense of authority were my biggest challenges. The best part of my days was the time I spend with those amazing kids and the development of projects. This month at Camp Europe challenged myself in all the ways possible, I struggled, I learnt from my mistakes (hope so) and I got to be a better human being.

Review

The program itself is great, but the administration and senior staff could be unorganized and that made some important situations stressful. I would 100% do this program again! Just be prepared to move sites on short notice and be open to supreme schedule flexibility. Everyone I encountered was extraordinarily friendly and I made lifelong friends through the program. If you're an adventurous human being by nature, this program is for you.

German summer

If you enjoy kids and being outdoors, join Camp Europe. It's exhausting but rewarding. You'll meet people you'll love and push yourself farther than you thought possible. It's an experience you'll never forget.

Wonderful time!

I had a really great overall experience and made some really great friends! Sometimes organisation could have been better and things could've been cleaner (in regards to the kitchen) but overall I had a wonderful time!

Really great overall

I really loved camp! I was admittedly kind of terrified when I got there though. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. But it was a great experience in the end. I would definitely do it again.

Fun summer work in Germany

I was looking for a camp to work at this past summer: I like working with children and being outdoors, plus was looking for a way to make a summer of traveling a bit cheaper. I had never experienced this type of situation before, and was expecting a challenging, interesting, fun experience. Camp Europe was all of this and more.

I don't have any experience to compare this against, but here are my impressions:

The training was helpful and thorough. The staff and support are top notch. The camp site where I was assigned was cozy and comfortable enough. The kids were from various parts of Europe, North America, and Asia and were a ton of fun and well-behaved for the most part. The days were long and challenging, but tons of fun and always passed quickly. The food was unexciting but adequate. My fellow staff at the camp was mostly bright, caring, thoughtful, high-energy, impressive, young individuals.

Overall, my experience was very positive. I wasn't quite sure what to expect out of my first camp experience of any type, but knew it would be challenging and mind-expanding. One of the themes of the camp was challenging the children to push their limits. I definitely pushed mine and was able to do more than I thought I was capable of. It was an unforgettable summer in Bavaria filled with adventure and wonderful people of all ages.

Worth a try!

This was the highlight of my summer vacation. Learned a lot, had fun and met many awesome new friends. Highly recommended for those who love taking care of children, sports, outdoor adventures and going camping.