A woman in the sea A woman in the sea

BUNAC - Work Australia

Thank you BUNAC!

It was a great experience for me and I am so happy to have had this opportunity! I was able to travel to another country and be immersed in their culture, all while have the satisfaction of working. BUNAC made the transition extremely easy and were always available if I had any questions. I had an amazing experience and would recommend to anyone thinking about working abroad!

• BUNAC responded to this review April 14, 2016 at 8:46 AM

Thank you for your feedback Amy! Happy you had a great experience with us!

WorknHoliday in Australia

Had an awesome time in Sydney!! WnH crew was very helpful and supportive upon my arrival and were a great resource for me when I needed anything. The office was in a convenient location and all of the staff was very friendly. It really was the experience of a lifetime!

• BUNAC responded to this review April 14, 2016 at 8:46 AM

Thanks Carl! Happy you had a great time with BUNAC!

Working holiday Australia

This year has been the fastest in my life. I had a wonderful time and this is perhaps the best decision I've ever made! I think more Americans should do it as it is one of the more fulfilling experiences a person can have.

It would have been nice if the Perth office was still open but I still found the city easy to navigate and managed to secure employment rather quickly. I would recommend this program. Absolutely.

• BUNAC responded to this review June 10, 2016 at 8:25 AM

Hi Gabriel! Great to hear you had such an amazing experience with BUNAC in Australia! We're hoping a Perth office opens again soon. Good luck with everything!

BTW, we have a very similar New Zealand program....

Least helpful organization ever

I am from the USA and obtained a Work and Holiday Visa to come to Australia. I went through BUNAC because I heard they would help with getting settled and finding contacts. I don't know where to begin in describing the complete opposite of assistance that I obtained from BUNAC. First and foremost, they insisted that I purchase insurance through Seven Corners Compass Benefits, insisting that my current Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance coverage would not cover me in Australia despite the fact that I checked with the Wellmark company and they assured me that I would be okay. BUNAC simply would not let me travel to Australia through their company without the Seven Corners insurance. So I got the insurance as they insisted, paying over $600 for it. While in Australia, I injured my back at work and consequently had several medical bills. I sent my claims to Seven Corners but because I had my own insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield), they refused to reimburse me. Thanks BUNAC.
Next issue was that some of our group was going to Australia after we spent a week in Fiji, but half the group had New Zealand as their final destination. We stopped at New Zealand to drop off half our group, but unfortunately for those of us continuing to Australia, BUNAC neglected to check our bags when they booked our tickets. So we ran all over the Auckland airport trying to check multiple bags for hundreds of dollars when we had previously been assured that all our flights and baggage had been booked for us.
Additionally, upon arriving to Australia our group was instructed to go to a Work and Holiday office so that we could have our initial meeting in which we were to received information, phone cards, and assistance with setting up bank accounts. We went to the Work and Holiday office in Sydney. The office was upstairs above a grocery store, so we went to go up the stairs to enter the office...we came to find out that it was a public holiday and both the office AND the grocery store were closed and so alarm systems went off. Minutes later we heard sirens and the police were coming down the street. We ran out of there as quick as we could and never looked back.
Needless to say, BUNAC was the least helpful service I have ever enlisted. I wasted money, time, and nearly got arrested. I would not recommend this organization to anyone. At the end of the day, I paid a lot of money to receive assistance that left me worse off than what I would have been on my own.

• BUNAC responded to this review April 14, 2016 at 8:44 AM

Hi Claire, thank you for your feedback. As mentioned in my email to you, international insurance is required to secure this visa. While you do not have to purchase ours, most participants do, since it meets all visa requirements. I have reached out to Seven Corners to see why your claim was not approved and will hopefully have some further information for you on that situation shortly.

We apologize for the situation at the Auckland Airport, we booked travel through a third party company and were under the impression that all bags would be checked through to participants final destination. Since it has been about a year since this took place, there isn't much we can do, but we do apologize for the added stress and costs.

Our partners in Australia do follow the calendar for Australian national holidays, and on our instructions we advise to contact the resource center to book orientation upon arrival. This is to make sure they are offering orientation that day and to reserve a spot:

"Please contact Work n Holiday once you arrive to book a spot at this session (contact details below). Orientations are held daily at 9:30am and last for approximately two hours. Job work shops/presentations are held Monday Wednesday and Friday at 1pm. The orientation includes information on everything from mobile phones and tax to employment and accommodation options. There is also a comprehensive section dedicated to travel within Australia so you can start planning your trips!"

The resource center offers a range of support services (job and accommodation assistance, taxes, banking, resume help, social events, mail forwarding and more) and they can assist participants anywhere in the country, so I hope you were able to utilize the support services.

Since your trip, we have started working with a new partner in Australia, but did not run into many problems with the previous partner.

We sympathize with the series of events that occurred upon your arrival, but hope you were able to enjoy your time abroad. Please let us know if you have any questions.