Broadreach Header Image Broadreach Header Image

Caribbean Marine Biology Voyage

A change of Perspective

I arrived St. Martin a little nervous and anxious but the worry feeling soon went away. The people at broadreach are so outgoing and make you feel like you are apart of there family within just a couple seconds. The instructors and skippers are the most happiest, down to earth, outgoing and caring people in the whole world. If you are in any doubt that your child or yourself shouldn't participate in this adventure, please take my advice. This trip will change the way you see the world. Before I came, I lived in a bubble. I didn't know what the world was about (I'm still learning) but it opened my eyes to so many new possibilities. Now I aspire to travel the world and make a difference. If I never went on this trip I wouldn't be the person I am today, and this is all thanks to Broadreach.

12-Day marine biology trip

I absolutely loved this experience. this was the first time I've ever been out of the country and I was a little nervous doing it by myself but it wasn't bad at all. The first night was a huge cookout with everyone getting to know each other and check out their new homes. We are on a boat pretty much 24/7 so if boats aren't your thing I wouldn't pick this trip. That being said, there also isn't a whole lot of room in the cabins so you have to be able to share and work with other people. Most people though, like to sleep on the tramps or in the cockpit. The food was pretty good too and if you have any special food needs Broadreach is pretty accommodating. Most of our time was spent learning how to scuba dive and we only really had one lesson on fish so if you are truly looking to learn about marine biology don't choose this trip because you won't really have anything taught to you. Scuba diving is amazing and there is plenty of that. One of my other favorite parts was town time and being able to explore different countries. Also you basically live in your swimsuits so make sure you bring good ones! I would definitely say this or other 12 day trips are great as a first timer if you aren't sure if you want to be away from home for more than 2 weeks. I think this is a great experience no matter what trip you choose. I became very good friends with my group and we still keep in touch! I highly recommend Broadreach to anyone interested in traveling abroad!

• The Adventure

The marine biology voyage story

Going on The Marine Biology Voyage in the Caribbean was by far one of best decisions I have ever made in my life. The people I have met and the adventures we have had together in those 24 days of paradise will forever be the best memories I will ever have. The staff were well organized and the schedule for each day was exciting for all of us. Above all I got certified for scuba diving which is a skill I will always have in the many more years to come. I'm very lucky to have gone on the trip and learned about the ecosystems of the ocean. I would highly recommend anybody who is seeking a study abroad go with this program, as it was and will always be an adventure of a lifetime for all to partake in.
-Zack

• The Adventure

An experience I relive daily...

There is not a day that goes by that I don't relish in the memories that I was able to have through Broadreach. In the 21 days living on Nala- our catamaran- I made countless friendships, learned an amazing amount of information about the ocean, sailing, and diving, learned valuable leadership skills, and overall had the experience of a lifetime. No two days are exactly alike which 100% filled my craving for adventure. Every day that I'm back home I miss ocean showers, living in our swim suits, diving, hiking on the islands, cooking in that tiny galley, sleeping in my hammock, the constant rocking of the boat, and yes, even swabbing the deck, a little bit more. Every island sailed to had it's own amazing features and I long for the day I can return to each one. My biggest advice is to keep a journal of the things that happen everyday. The days are so chocked full, when you return home it is so great to be able to remember minor details that made each and every day great. At the end of 21 days, you will refer to the bathroom as the head, left and right to port and starboard, and the catamaran to home.

The Summer of a Lifetime

I've always known I wanted to look into marine biology, so doing something like this trip was a given. I knew it would be very beneficial, and tons of fun, but I never expected it to be the best thing that has ever happened to me. I went into the trip with a lot of anxiety about making friends, or everyone on the boat hating me, but despite a few small episodes of sea-sickness I had on the first night, my boat-mates and I started hitting it off right away. It was amazing to be able to spend time with people who have such similar intrests to me. Not only did I love my boat-mates, but I became close friends with a lot of the kids on our "sister ship", Lady Helen. We sailed to all of the same places and learned all of the same things, so of course we spent time together, and we definitely enjoyed eachother's company. I met some of the best friends I've ever had, and the worst part of the entire trip was having to say goodbye to them. Luckily, we all still keep in touch, and I plan to stay that way forever! Our instructers were immediately some of the most inspirational people I had ever met. I'll be happy if I can be half as amazing as them some day. They took such amazing care of me, and every bump or bruise I ever got. I thought they were cool right away, but once they started teaching, I knew they would be role models for my future. I have never learned so much in a class in a trimester, and in some not even a year, than I learned in those three weeks, and that wasn't all marine biology, which I learned so much about, but sailing, diving, and life skills as well. I even learned to cook! The sailing was exhilerating to say the least. Steering a giant yacht was extremely empowering; I couldn't help but feel like a million bucks. The diving was spectacular. I saw wrecks, sharks, squid, jellyfish, baracudas, a huge sea-worm, an octupus, gigantic lobsters, sting rays, so many other amazing types of fish, as well as an abundance of coral, which I am extremely intrested in. It was great that as we were learning to dive, we were also learning about the things we were seeing in our marine biology lectures. I am not a very attentive person; I fall asleep in class all the time, but I had absolutely no trouble paying attention to these lectures, not only because they were about things I am intrested in, but our teachers made them so much fun! Every single lesson we covered made me consider studying a different part of the ocean. I also loved being able to explore the islands we visited, although I do wish we could have done this some more; we were just too busy learning! I loved hiking volcanos and exploring forts from past wars. I think it's super cool that I can say I've been to the highest point in the Netherlands, even though I've never truly been to the Netherlands. Meeting people and eating foods on these islands was unreal. (I even got to eat at the place Cheesburger in Paradise was written about!) Our excursions were always a blast, whether it was eating crepes in St. Barth's or doing community service on the beautiful island of Saba. I will never forget these moments, these memories, and everything that I learned in the Caribbean. I will never forget sleeping under the stars, or atleast laying under the stars, as I was too busy making memories with these amazing people to sleep. I will never forget taking showers in the ocean while I could see bioluminescence glowing in my hair. I will never forget night diving and seeing an octopus clinging to a rock. I will never forget steering a huge yacht as I watched flying fish jump out of the water. This was truly the sumer of a lifetime, and I will never ever forget it. I would genuinely recommend it to anyone intrested in the ocean, and I would recoment broadreach as a whole to anyone at all.

Caribbean Marine Biology Voyage

The Caribbean Marine Biology Voyage was definitely a once in a life time experience that I will never forget. I created lasting friendships, gained new certifications in scuba diving and sailing, and learned so much throughout the entirety of the trip. My peers and instructors made the catamaran feel like home from day one, the atmosphere was like a family. One of the main reasons I chose this particular trip was because I had been interested in Marine Biology for a while and I wanted a hands on learning experience where I could gain even more insight than what I had on what a Marine Biologist does and how it would turn out as a career choice. Broadreach provided an excellent and academically rigorous Marine Biology course, I learned so much! This trip confirmed for me that I want to pursue Marine Biology as a career. Scuba diving was absolutely AMAZING! Nothing will prepare you for the sights you will see on this trip. Every scuba sight we went to was utterly beautiful. I remember slipping beneath the water surface my eyes would be presented with an entirely new world. I saw so many diverse species of fish and being from Colorado (mountain land) that was quite a treat. During the duration of the three weeks I obtained my Advanced Open Water Diver Certification. I did have my Open Water Diver Certification prior to the trip, but on this trip Broadreach students get both their Open Water Diver and Advanced Open Water Diver Certification which is very exciting! Sailing was a BIG part in our three week stay on the catamaran. I earned my IYT Sailing Certification which is something that I am very proud of. One of my favorite places on the catamaran was in the helm while we were sailing between islands, steering the ship, and gazing at the horizon across open ocean. We visited seven islands in all, St. Martin (you arrive here), Ile Fource, St. Barts, St. Kitts, Statia, Saba, and Tintamarre. All were beautiful both above and below the water. My Favorite place however would have to be Saba. I choose Saba because it was such a privileged to dive in a Marine Reserve as well as learn about Marine Reserves. We did two community service projects during this trip. One took place at the Botanical Gardens on the island of Statia. We cleared debris from roads and trails and also removed vines from an overgrown wall. We also had a community service project on Saba where we helped to forged a trail. I was especially excited about this element because I love to help out communities. Overall, this trip was an unforgettable experience. It provided me with so much and I learned so much! I loved every minute of it. I highly recommend this program to anybody interested in marine science. This trip was a life changing experience and I hope it is for everyone else as well!

The Trip That Changed My Life

This trip truly changed my life, and I'm not just being cliche here. Personally, it was a huge leap of faith to travel independently 4,000 miles away from home for an entire month, but Broadreach couldn't have been more welcoming and trusting! They managed to fit me on the last spot on the boat as I registered only three weeks before the trip, and they were so great to work with. They know how to run a study-abroad program. Long story short.
From day one, to day twenty-one, Broadreach provided an amazing opportunity to learn and grow and find a passion for the ocean. I've never had such hands-on learning before. It was amazing to be taught in this environment by a fantastic, enthusiastic, marine biologist and then get to hop in the beautiful water, two or three times a day to scuba dive and actually interact with what we were studying. ("Studying" being a daily journal as we watched the sunset and listened to the waves). Better yet, we earned certifications that we can apply to future careers in life. Doing community service on the islands was rewarding and getting to see the culture of the islands really opened my eyes to the world. Sailing was quite the adventure sometimes, and yes, required some grit and good attitude, but the group on the boat became a family. We bonded, we learned, we grew, and we became completely different people by the end of the trip. Saying goodbye was the hardest part. I can never thank the program or the people in it enough for the impact it had on me and my future goals.

Boat Life or No Life

This trip was honestly the best three weeks of my life. I had never scuba dived before, and getting certified literally opens up a whole new world for you to discover. I even got over my fear of the dark and went night diving, which was amazing. But this trip isn't just about scuba diving. You get to learn about what you see when your diving, and you get to do other things, too. The days when we went on hikes or got to go into a town were some of the best days of the trip. There was one day we even got to go cliff jumping! Since you are living on a boat, everything is always wet, so make sure to bring quick dry towels and lots of Gold Bond! Although boat life took some adjusting to get used to, I found myself sad when I had to go back home and live on land. Being on the boat really helps you for extremely close friendships with the other people on the boat, and I'm really thankful for that!

Best Thing I've Ever Done

This trip was honest the best thing I have ever done. I am so glad I chose Broadreach and chose this program. I had an amazing time and met so many wonderful people that I love and still talk to. I learned how to scuba dive and that was an experience I will never forget. This trip has changed my life and I look at things a little differently now. Not only was it fun but it was also educational, I learned all about Marine Biology and it only made me want to become a Marine Biologist that much more. This trip went above and beyond my expectations and I cannot say enough good things about it!

• The Adventure

Will never forget this experience

Most memorable experience was getting Scuba certified and exploring the underwater world with such awesome people.

I chose this program because I wanted to get Scuba certified, while also having some educational aspect to the trip.

Living on the boat was a lot of fun. It really helped us get to know each other better and create friendships. At times we were cramped and on top of each other, but the experience was worth it when you look up at the stars at night.

• The Adventure

Best three weeks of my life

My most memorable experience was those first few breaths underwater.The fact that I was able to breathe underwater blew my mind, and I look forward to the next chance I have to get back in the water. This was my first experience with scuba diving and I loved every second of it.

I chose this program because following the end of my senior of high school I began to pick up an interest in marine biology. While searching for an adventure to do this summer my parents and I stumbled upon Broadreach and found a program that coupled marine biology and scuba diving, something that's been on my bucket list for years. We called Broadreach and discovered they only had one spot open left on the trip and I took it, starting an incredible three weeks of my summer.

We lived on a catamaran. Everything from our food to our dive gear was stored throughout the boat. Staying inside during the day was difficult for it could get very hot inside the cabins, but at night everything cooled down. Quarters were tight and space was limited, but everyone adjusted to these conditions and were able to live in harmony.

Passion Rekindled

I would not change this experience for anything. It was not my first choice, but I cannot imagine my summer without it. As I sit here in my junior year of college suffering through requirements for my biology major, it is so nice to be able to think back to the summer and remember that I have to learn the basics so I can go on to do what I want to do. I didn't think I would fall so deeply in love with scuba diving. I cannot wait to take the knowledge I gained to other parts of the world. Spending this much time with and on the water reminded me of how much I am comforted and rejuvenated by the ocean. I have to get back to it as soon as possible.

I think one of the best elements of this program is the connection between what we learn in our marine biology lectures, our dives, and our small sailing lessons. Not only did we learn about the creatures and the environment, we also learned about our personal and global impact on the water. being able to learn about the destruction of the largest ecosystem on the planet and live out sustainable practices is incredible. Broadreach presented me with the opportunity to live the life I want to lead.

I can't believe you're making me chose the most memorable. I really don't think I can. Once I got really comfortable with diving, that was definitely one of my favorite parts; being able to look at the fish, turtles, cnidarians, mollusks, crustaceans, and countless other creatures underwater and put names to them was one of the best feelings. I loved learning about sailing and taking the Pico out with another girl. Feeling the wind and the waves and knowing what you had to do us maximize your use of both was incredibly fun.

This program was honestly not my first choice. It was the third I was looking at and figured I would like it once I got there, but really wasn't so sure about it before that. I knew I wanted something with water, living on a boat was desirable, and I had scuba dove before but didn't have a ton of experience. Iw as looking to broaden my Maine biology horizons, advance my scuba skills, and learn about sailing and boat management.

There were nine people on our boat which was fit to hold up to 15 people. The three instructors were split between two cabins, while the 6 of the students were split between the other two cabins. (There were 2 other cabins we weren't using for people because it wasn't necessary). Two students slept in each of the cabins, while another girl and I slept on the trampoline outside. That was by far my favorite place to sleep. I miss it tremendously. There is nothing like sleeping under the stars, cozy in your sleeping bag, feeling the slight breeze over your face.

I was on the boat with the student who wrote the negative review and I personally did not feel like the conditions described were the conditions on our boat. No one was ever diagnosed with scabies; we had one incident of staph (1 out of 9 isn't a bad ratio); we bleached or at least cleaned all surfaces of the boat at least twice a day; no one was ever forced to sleep anywhere they didn't want to; we were all encourage to shower daily and used antibacterial soap along with our regular shampoo to help prevent staph. I personally had a lot of fun jumping off the back of the boat, shampooing my hair, rinsing in the ocean (you HAVE to try showering at sunset--it's perfect), the rinsing the salt off with our ten seconds of allowed fresh water per day. You hardly even needed that much.

I felt like our instructors handled all problems expertly, calmly, ideally. The support boat was never far.

I adored our boat. It took me a day or two to find my sea body (more than just legs for me), but once I did, I was completely at home. I loved being able to leave the majority of my belongings in the cabin downstair and simply spend the day in the water or sun. We did all of our own cooking, something I was't expecting, but something I grew to enjoy. It was great to learn how to cook for more people and how to experiment! We cleaned the boat ourselves each day, twice a day, really, which was something exhausting, but a great skill to have. I never self unsafe, unhealthy, or unsanitary.

Adored our professor. She presented the information in different ways both to engage us and to best utilize our learning styles. She help due discover passions I didn't know I had--who knew coral was carnivorous? Who knew the small things were so interesting? She gave me ideas about my future that will incorporate both my passions and what I'm naturally pretty good at. I was not expecting to come away from this experience with a possible career path. I truly could not have asked for better.

We made it ourselves which was a new experience for me--I had never cooked for that many people before! Good life skills learned.

Our boat was fantastic. I loved dinner where we could all sit down at the end of the day to talk, laugh, and reflect.

Never once did I feel unsafe on this program.

A few of us got ear infections and they were all taken care of. Our instructors know the best doctors and pharmacies on each of the islands. Our boat also had multiple first aid kits and plenty of soap and water.

The best summer.

I honestly don't even know where to start with this review. All I can say is that it was an INCREDIBLE experience and I highly recommend it to anyone who has interest in the oceans and marine life. All of our instructors taught us so much about their respective fields (Biology, diving, and sailing), and always had a smile on their faces while doing so. Diving was definitely my favorite part of the the experience. It was always a dream of mine to get Scuba certified, and this trip finally let me reach it. My parents were always kind of skeptical because of safety concerns having to do with diving. But to any parents reading this, I never once felt unsafe on a dive or any other part of the trip as a whole.

From being able to jump right off the boat and go for a snorkel almost whenever I wanted, to sleeping under the stars at night, living on a boat is definitely an experience to be had as well. Although we sometimes felt cramped and on top of each other, it only helped us become so close as a group. I made so many friends, whom I still keep contact with, and will never forget this experience.

A GoPro or other underwater camera is definitely a must on this trip.

The class on Marine Biology was very interesting and hands on. The instructors always had such a good attitude, and you could tell they have a passion for what they do.

One of the best summers of my life.

All I can really say is that you should definitely do this trip. Have an interest in marine biology? Do this trip. Want to experience scuba diving? Do this trip. This past summer was some of the best three weeks of my life. The group I got to live with on the Lady Helen, our boat, were all incredible. The staff were all friendly and well trained, the diving was pristine as you get to explore the Saba marine park, and the experience as a whole was definitely life changing.

The academics were great! Our instructor did a great job teaching us the materials, and the work associated with it was never too taxing.

Boat life was a little difficult at first, for it takes some time to adjust to the cramped cabins. However; after a boat a week it was a whole different story, everyone is able to successfully navigate their ways throughout the boat and very few problems arose.

The culture of the islands is never fully experienced. Sure some historical landmarks and service projects were done but the life of the people living on these islands was never experienced.

• The Adventure

I would not change this experience for anything.

This program was honestly not my first choice. It was the third I was looking at and figured I would like it once I got there, but really wasn't so sure about it before that. I knew I wanted something with water, living on a boat was desirable, and I had scuba dove before but didn't have a ton of experience. Iw as looking to broaden my marine biology horizons, advance my scuba skills, and learn about sailing and boat management.

Perfect

One of my most memorable experiences was on one of my trips when we dove the reefs of Saba, some of the most beautiful sights I'll ever see.

I love the underwater world, and these programs gave me a chance to further explore it and learn more about diving while also creating life-long memories.

The accommodations were perfectly fine in my opinion. The boats we lived on were top-notch, and though the rooms were small, there was plenty of room to sleep other places on the boat. Even though fresh water supply was limited, even 10 second showers were a luxury compared to what you usually get on an outdoor trek or camping trip. The food was plentiful, and the boat was kept very clean, which is more than enough for me.

Perfect

I have now been on two broadreach trips, and I came back with nothing but positive memories both times. The programs that Broadreach puts on are organized, efficient (with plenty of room for exploration), and unbelievably enjoyable. Granted, life on the boat has aspects that aren't full of luxury, but those are the tiniest parts of the trip, if anything, I'd say they add to the adventurous experience of Broadreach. They have instructors and skippers that relate with the kids (many of them have very childish spirits), and they just make every experience that much better. I learned more about sailing, boats, and diving in three weeks than many will learn in their entire lifes. Broadreach is an excellent program, and it leaves me with memories that I'll keep for a lifetime.

• The Adventure

Best experience of my life.

Honestly, deciding to do a Broadreach trip was the best decision I've ever made. A naturally cautious person, the decision in itself was a leap of faith, but was well worth the risk. We did things during that trip that I never thought I would be able to do. Dove shipwrecks, hiked up volcanoes, sailed across the open seas, all among an amazing group of likeminded kids and supportive adult staffers. Collaboration was very much encouraged between boat mates, and it created a familial environment that was immediately comfortable.
The educational portion of the trip was designed to start at the basics, so there wasn't much new stuff for people who have previously taken marine biology courses, but I learned so much about the islands we visited, and the ecosystems we explored that it didn't matter. The dives were amazing, and we encountered some of the coolest creatures I've ever seen, including Caribbean Spiny Lobsters, Nurse Sharks, Barracuda, Octopi, Green Sea Turtles and a ton of others.
It's a very intensive, fast paced program, but you will be rewarded with a trip that changes your entire life. Today I am a more adventurous, independent, curious person because of Broadreach. I am not afraid of what lies ahead, I am ready to dive into it flippers first.

Caribbean Marine Biology Voyage- My real life dream!

From the age of 5, I have always had a passion for Marine Biology and the Natural World. In my junior year of high school, I wanted to be able to experience studying abroad before I was in college. When I found Broadreach- It seemed too good to be true! I would spend days at school in the library obsessing over the dream of one day embarking on a Broadreach summer trip, wondering if it was really as great as they made it seem.
Well, now that I am home from going on the voyage, I can tell you that it was even better than I had expected. The unbelievable experiences that I now cherish from that trip will stay with me forever. The Caribbean environment was more beautiful than one could ever prepare for and I was able to solidify my love for the ocean thanks to Broadreach.
Granted, I was very nervous to go. I had never been on a trip without my parents, and they were hesitant to part with me. Also, The idea of living with 12 strangers from around the world was intimidating. I am so grateful to say that not only now are those strangers some of my best friends, but that I still keep in contact with them today. Our instructors were unbelievably personable and easy to talk to. They not only treated us all like adults, but also were some of the most hilarious, intelligent, and inspirational people I have ever met in my lifetime to this day.
The studies were rigorous, but I have never enjoyed learning and taking a class more than on this trip. The topics were interesting and relevant and the teachers knew exactly how to communicate to the students.
My final word is that if you are considering going on one of these trips, or sending your child on this trip, do it. I found myself and learned what I could do, and it has given me inspiration for the future that has gotten me through the rest of high school. Both my parents and I wouldn't change this experience for the world, and I am so thankful that I did it. Broadreach truly is the perfect study abroad organization, and is even more of a perfect family.

Incredible

It is really hard for me to choose just one experience as my "most memorable" one because the whole entire trip was memorable. This trip was honestly the best experience of my life...it was absolutely amazing. Although, if I really had to choose, I would say my best memory was when it was our second to last night together on the trip. On this particular night, we all went to the beach on the small island when we were located. For hours, we just ran around and enjoyed ourselves until it was finally time to sit down in a giant circle and share our favorite moments from the trip. I remember bawling my eyes out because I was going to miss everyone I bonded with over the course of three weeks. While sharing our favorite moments, we all dipped marshmallows in frosting and it was so good. I would had never guessed that I would become so close to new people in such a short amount of time. They will probably be my best friends for the rest of my life. I had the time of my life.

I chose the Caribbean Marine Biology Voyage because I've always had a love for Marine Biology. Ever since I was little, I have wanted to be a Marine Biologist. My dad told me about this program and I was immediately excited and just had to read more about it. Once I read about the trip in full detail and saw that it would include diving and many other fun things, I was set on going. The location of trip definitely had a huge impact on why I chose the program as well because I love to travel. I looked up the islands online and fell in love because it looked so beautiful...and it was even better in person!

A yacht was our temporary home while on this trip. Getting used to always being on the boat and sleeping on it definitely took some time. Many nights, I would sleep outside on the deck (as many other students would too) and stare up at the stars. After a while, I became comfortable with being on the yacht and I began to like it a lot. It really added to the overall experience of the trip.

Best Experience of My Life

The Caribbean Marine Biology Voyage was so incredible...I hardly know where to begin. First of all, I highly recommend this trip. The whole trip is very well put together. Diving was one of my favorite things that we did throughout the whole trip, it was amazing. Everyone bonds so much over the course of time...I still talk to some of the other students that were on the trip and we are very close. I created so many memories on this trip that I cherish. We explored the towns on the islands, went swimming in the beautiful ocean, and laughed our hearts out. I honestly couldn't have asked for a better experience. The academics were great as well. Our instructor on this particular trip, Honey, made learning fun and also challenged us to think outside our normal ways of thinking. I learned way more than I thought I would. All of the instructors were so kind and always helpful with anything we needed. This review doesn't even describe how spectacular the trip was because I can't even put it into words.

The academics on this trip were amazing. I learned so many new, interesting facts about marine life and the environment.

Staying on the yacht definitely had it's ups and downs throughout the whole trip. Although, you get more and more comfortable as the trip goes on. Personally, I liked it a lot.

I really enjoyed visiting the different islands and getting to explore them. Meeting some of the people that lived on the islands was incredible too (that's one of my favorite aspects about traveling). Although, I wish we could've had more time on the islands.

All of the instructors did a very great job of making this program come together. They were always helpful and nice.