Boston University Study Abroad stundents Boston University Study Abroad stundents

Sydney Internship Program

The Best Semester

BU Sydney is the best study abroad program at BU. When else will you get to live in Australia for 5 months? You will have the most enlightening, fun and freeing time of your life.

The wine class is incredible, there is a trip to the Hunter Wine Region included as well as numerous wine tasting throughout the class. That being said, it is also a rare and exciting opportunity to thoroughly learn about wine. I was able to attend a well-paying job as a server in an upscale restaurant because of that class.

Very nice, new, modern dorms with your own room and a great rooftop deck

There's not much culture to be had in Sydney - it's very similar to America - however, you are only as immersed as you put yourself out there to be. There is much to be learned from Australian culture and its influences, and the program does a great job of paying for an incredible trip to Melbourne, taking you on fascinating trips and cruises of the Harbor, and creating city-wide scavenger hunts. I've never seen a program that encourages you more to immerse yourself culturally. Well done, BU Sydney

Mark, the program director, has led a ridiculously epic life (sang in the Sydney opera house, been a sheep farmer, been in a rock band) - seriously just ask him about it. Other than that, the administration is pretty good - Pasquale is not pleasant to work with, however.

Awesome program

Awesome. Best time of my life! Definitely recommend it to everyone!

Great program

- Limited class options for major.
- Natives are fun to work with.
- Apartments were great (in-house washer/dryer, full kitchen, roof deck)
- Administration sets you up with internship, so all you need to do is tell them what industry you want to be in.
- Great travel opportunities (through BU and long weekends, every weekend)

I went on the program in Fall 2000 and had...

I went on the program in Fall 2000 and had a great internship with NBC during the Sydney Olympic Games. The internship placements of all of the students on the program were pretty impressive and BU had great contacts in Sydney.

The courses were interesting, but somewhat limited, focusing a lot on Australian history, culture, and literature. We did take a lot of field trips, which was fantastic, and a great way to experience what we were learning.

Our dorms and classrooms were all in the same narrow building in a great location, but sometimes it felt like we were on semester at sea, trapped on a boat. Everyone in the program was a student from an American college, but only about 60% were from BU (I went to UW-Madison). It was hard to meet Australians and we met them usually out at the bars and clubs or through friends of people on the program.

The coursework was somewhat demanding, and this was the time in my college career when I learned time management so I could get my papers done before the weekend, so I could travel. There was lots of time for traveling: weekends, break in the program, and after the program.

Residence staff in country was great, but I found the administrative staff at BU to be a little disorganized.

Overall, I had a great experience and would recommend it to anyone looking for an experiential education opportunity abroad (the internship was key for me) who wants the safety net of other Americans during their study experience.