Medical personnels Medical personnels

Medical Outreach & Hospital Volunteering in Ghana

1 month in Ghana, summer 2012

I had a wonderful experience volunteering with Blue-Med Africa and it was one of the most memorable times of my life. I met a lot amazing people - both locals and other volunteers from different countries. During my time in Ho, I stayed at a hostel-like residence with other volunteers. All meals were provided and consisted of delicious Ghanaian dishes which I still miss today. During the week, each day had volunteer activities, including helping out at the local hospital, outreach visits to rural communities, providing wound care at the cured lepers village, painting an elementary school, or playing with children at the orphanage. My favourite component was the outreach visits; during these trips it really felt like we were making a difference by increasing accessibility of health care to more remote areas. When we were not volunteering, we were out exploring the town. The locals were very friendly and overall I felt that Ghana was a very safe and welcoming country. It is clear that the volunteers running Blue-Med care deeply about their country and are passionate about improving health care. I am currently finishing my last year of nursing school, and I believe that my experience with Blue-Med has helped to increase my cultural sensitivity and socioeconomic awareness, which I will take with me in my future career. I am very interested in global health, and would definitely consider coming back to Ghana to volunteer as a professional in the future. I would highly recommend volunteering with Blue-Med and getting the most out of your experience by fully engaging in activities and keeping an open mind to cultural differences!

Summer 2015 Experience

Participating in Blue-Med was one of the best decisions I have made. Though I was born in Ghana and raised there for some years, this was my first experience in medical volunteerism. I enjoyed engaging with community members, whether the medical outreach was in the village, school, or the Cured Lepers Village. I was also fortunate to be given the opportunity to observe in the maternity and labor wards of the Volta Regional Hospital. The best part of it all was that instead of feeling like my co-workers and co-volunteers, the Blue-Med community felt like a group of friends and family.

My Amazing Month in Ho

My experience in Ghana was one of the best months of my lives and I would recommend it to anyone! I arrived in Accra late at night and was greeted by Richard and all of the other volunteers which was a great start to my time there. After a weekend in Accra I travelled with them to Ho and met my host family who were so kind to us the whole time I was there. Everyone involved with Blue-med Africa is extremely kind, welcoming and helpful and I always felt comfortable and safe which made travelling to a new country even better.
During the month I volunteered with them I was lucky enough to be able to take part in all of the volunteering opportunities that Blue-med Africa offers; the highlight of that for me was the outreaches which really made me feel like I was making a difference. I also particularly enjoyed helping out in the school and teaching the children science. Everywhere I volunteered everyone was incredibly friendly and welcoming to me and the volunteers especially Richard and the other Blue-med staff on the outreaches .
In addition to the volunteering we took weekend trips to various places in Ghana such as Cape Coast which was such an experience and the trips were very fun and varied, ranging from activity based trips to sight seeing. It also gave me the chance to bond with the other volunteers and make new friends from different parts of the world.
I would recommend Blue-med Africa to anyone interested because of the amazing time I had with them. The people I met were all amazing and the medical experience I obtained was instrumental in my acceptance to Medical School. Ghana is amazing and everyone should get a chance to visit!