BiblioWorks - Changing lives through libraries, literacy and a love of reading  Header Image BiblioWorks - Changing lives through libraries, literacy and a love of reading  Header Image

Become a Literacy Ambassador to Bolivian Children!

A real "life experience"

As the title indicates, it was not only a volunteer experience to be put into a CV, but rather a mind-opening, refreshing life experience that I have had thanks to Biblioworks.

Before I went to Bolivia, I was looking for a flexible, yet favourable programme in which I could transmit some inspiration and good quality education that the disadvantaged kids needed. The belief of mine towards books was as strong as my former idea. When these two realms came together in my mind, I ended up with Biblioworks both in my "search results" and in my life. The library that I worked in was situated in an isolated and socio-economically disadvantaged area of Sucre. I basically went there in the days that we have defined with children (mon, tues, wed, friday) and did reading all together with them. Again, the children were choosing the books that they wanted us to read. After reading, we used to either draw or write stories. In the last one hour, we used to play fun and relaxing games. This was the way I did it, but of course you can plan your own timetable. As I said, the flexibility that Biblioworks gives to a volunteer is priceless. But be ready to work in a library which doesn't have a toilet or in a town in which children do not have dreams. Try to create them both. It is worth it! Good luck :)

A lovely month working for a fantastic organization

We worked with Biblioworks to open a library in Villa Abecia, Chuquisaca, Bolivia. It was a great experience, and we love the organization. The libraries make a huge difference in the communities, and the children's enthusiasm is beautiful. We were only there for a month because of visa troubles (Americans, get your visa in advance!!), and carnaval prevented us from working for a decent section of that time. The homestay they arranged for us was outstanding - I think our host/landlord (it was a private apartment connected to her house) will be a friend of ours for life.
They give you a ton of latitude to do your own thing and decide what kinds of programs to run, but they also supply you with a lot of materials and ideas to get you going. Highly recommended!