Be Like Brit Foundation, Inc. Header Image Be Like Brit Foundation, Inc. Header Image

Orphanage and Community Volunteer

A Life Changing Experience

When I first heard about Be Like Brit, I was searching for a way to give back, to see what Gods path was for me. I grew up helping at a neighborhood opportunity center, so I had some experience relating to helping others. I wanted to be a change in someone's life.
I had never been on a mission trip before so I was excited, nervous, and anxious all in one. When I got to Miami for our flight to Haiti, I met Melissa. Energetic, she was like a friend who you'd not met yet. I thought she's just as excited as I am! She was are team leader from Be Like Brit.After we arrived in Haiti, I instantly noticed how different it was from the US. The drive to the orphanage was almost an overload for my brain trying to take everything in. I think that is when I met Francky. He's a driver for BLB, and so nice.
Once you get to Be Like Brit, there is nothing to prepare you for the pure LOVE and JOY you feel when you walk in. The children are so happy to see you and come up and hug you. It is amazing! We also met Jonathan who's the director, Gama who is head of security, Peterson who helps with the children (and gives you Haitian Creole lessons) and Amanda who helps with the children's education, and they are so great and welcoming! They do amazing work with the children. We also met Len, Brittany's father, who is doing amazing things for the children and the community around Be Like Brit. He has the biggest heart I have ever seen.
While our group was there, our goal was to build a house for a local Haitian family. A two room house. We would build in the mornings, and after lunch we would get shown around the Grand Goave area. We got to see different missions that were there, and meet others that were there helping. We got to take walks up the mountain and see the local children, and go swimming with the children from BLB. After supper we got to spend time with the children playing and coloring. On Sunday, we walked down the mountain and went to a local church at MOHI. The service was great, and I even had someone to translate for me. The day before we finished the house, we got to go to the local market and buy food and supplies for the family we built the house for. On the last day we got to dedicate the house and meet the family. I have never seen people so genuinely nice as the Haitian people I met. So happy with whatever they have.
It was an amazing week, and I met wonderful people I will never forget. I will be returning soon, and in the end, It was also my life that was changed.

We can all be a little more like Brit <3

My week in Haiti with Be Like Brit was one of the best weeks of my life. I think the one thing you'll see in nearly every review are the words "life changing" but it couldn't be any more true. Haiti is such a beautiful country full of welcoming, smiling people, and their positive, hopeful outlook is something that has stayed with me, & will continue to stay with me, since my trip in December. I fell in love with the country, the people, of course the children at Be Like Brit, & with the people in the surrounding community. One of my favorite parts of the week was seeing the day to day lives of the people of Haiti- in the mountains, & in the marketplace. I couldn't recommend this trip any more & I can't wait to return.

Life changing

One of the most rewarding experiences in my life. I have volunteered with BLB 4 times and will keep going back! The program emerges you into the Haitian culture and not only do you fall in love with the orphanage but you fall in love with the country as well. From my first trip to my last, BLB trips leave you with new and everlasting experiences and friendships. The program does an excellent job to make sure you always feel safe. The living conditions are very comfortable. I would recommend BLB volunteering to both new and seasoned veterans!

No one can do everything, but everyone can do something!

If I had to sum up the entire trip in two words: life-changing. I know it sounds cliché, but being in Haiti and working with Be Like Brit has impacted me beyond words. It’s hard to describe everything I experienced, without actually being there. I saw the heartbreak that is the poorest third world country in the Western Hemisphere. But I also saw the hope that is in the community.

I fell in love with the 67 children I was able to spend my time with within the orphanage. They were the worst of the worst, and were blessed enough to be found by the BLB team and brought into this family. Just writing this now brings a huge smile to my face and warmth in my heart when I think of the children. At every moment, there were always three or four children climbing on me, using me as a human jungle gym. But it was infectious having them always wanting to play with me and I craved it when I was not with them. It was incredible to see how, despite the horrible conditions that are in Haiti, they are just children who only want someone to give them love and attention, that were lucky enough to be found by Be Like Brit. This goes for the people within the community as well. Although it was heartbreaking to see how down and glum the people in the market and on the street looked, if you looked at them and said “Bonswa” and asked how they were, their faces lit up. It taught me that humans in general simply want someone to care for them and know that someone has their back. And anyone can do this.

Another thing that surprised me in Haiti was how hopeful and grateful they were. On Sunday we got to go to a Church service. The Pastor was speaking back and forth between Creole and English, translating it so we felt included. Both him and the people in the congregation came up to us and thanked us for all that we were doing. They were so grateful that we were coming down and putting in time and effort in hopes of helping make life a little bit better. The BLB orphanage was founded on Brit’s final text: “They love us so much and everyone is so happy. They love what they have and they work so hard to get nowhere, yet they are all so appreciative. I want to move here and start an orphanage myself.” Now, I get it. This sums up the experience I had with the people in the community of Grand Goave and surrounding villages. I got to see how much of a difference we made, especially on our trip on Friday during the house-blessing ceremony.

In four days, we worked tirelessly with Haitian masons to construct a home for one of the BLB night time caregivers. We started Monday with a pile of dirt and finished Friday with a home: a symbol of hope for the future. When we performed the house blessing ceremony, I was overwhelmed with how moved I was from building this safe place. In the ceremony, Franklin, the father, shared one of the Haitian mottos with us: “Here in Haiti, whatever you give out, you will always receive more.” This profound statement was spot on and I got so much more out of this week than I thought I would.

From the homebuilding, to exploring the community, to the little children who now take up a huge part of my heart, my week in Haiti was incredible, moving, and brought a roller coaster of emotions. Most importantly, it taught me the importance of love. It also showed me how blessed I am and I am so thankful. I am thankful for my family, and my parents for letting me embark on this journey. I am thankful for my friends and companions who have helped me become who I am today. I cannot express how much Haiti has meant to me. I fell in love with Haiti, the children and cannot wait to go back soon!

Love lives here

I don't think I could ever put into words how meaningful and transformative an experience with Be Like Brit really is. Before my first trip with BLB, I had volunteered abroad with a few other organizations. While they were all very positive experiences, NONE came close to the quality of my experience with BLB. From the second my application was approved for my trip, I truly felt like I was part of the BLB family...and two years later, I still feel that way. :) Because I was traveling with 12 of my students, safety was my number one concern at all times. The staff at BLB is supremely honest, communicative, and well-practiced regarding all safety situations, and I always felt that our safety was a top priority. Walking through the orphanage for the first time is nothing short of amazing, because you can actually see right in front of you the spirit of compassion, fun, and LOVE that is exemplified by the Gengels themselves, every BLB staff member, and all the kids. THE KIDS. I am smiling as I write this, because I am remembering THEIR smiles! And their laughs! And their hugs! They have a saying at BLB: "Love lives here." Nothing could be truer. I seriously wish I was there RIGHT NOW. So, go check out this wonderful organization. It will be an experience you will never forget. :)

Life changing!

After loosing my husband in the Haiti earthquake my daughter and I were searching for a group to make a difference in Jim's memory. Be Like Brit has given us that opportunity! We recently returned home from our 3rd Britsionary trip and each trip brings us more peace and helps heals our heart.
Building a home for a family in need in Grand Goave and spending time with the 67 children who live in Brit's home is beyond amazing!
BLB continues to make people's lives better and seeing how much the children grow, thrive and improve in school is heartwarming.
You are truely making a difference and this will change your life.
My daughter Megan has found her calling in life through our trips and wants to become a pediatric nurse and continue to help those in need in Haiti and around the world!
Haiti broke our heart 6 1/2 years ago...BLB continues to heal it. We love our BLB family ❤️

A life changing experience

Even only being there for a week, I felt so close with the staff and children of Be Like Brit. What makes the trip so special is being able to help a family in need in such a huge way for them. Things we generally take for granted mean so much to the family that you help. This truly is an eye opening and life changing experience. Safety and well being of all the Britsionary's is really a top priority for them. On top of helping a family in the Be Like Brit community, you also get to learn so much about the Haitian culture by going on excursions everyday. Spending time with the children at BLB is always my favorite part of the day because the children are so full of life and just so excited to see you! Truly the best experience of my life!

Love, hope, Haiti & be like Brit - my world changed forever

I have never felt more part of something, than the way I did while I was in Haiti with Be Like Brit! Going to Haiti with Be Like Brit was the best and smartest decision I have ever made for myself, and it helped to mold me into the person I am today! Working alongside the children, as well as the staff and members of the community, our team was immersed in Haitian culture and were surrounded by love, happiness and hope! If you have the opportunity to take this amazing trip, I truly recommend it!

BEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE

My week in Haiti changed my life! The 67 kids are all so amazing and never fail to make me smile. Everyone in Haiti is so kind and generous! I tell everyone I know that they absolutely need to do this and it is an experience that will change your life.

Being a part of Be Like Brit

A safe and fulfilling way to make an impact! This service trip was well organized with a realistic schedule which allowed for time to get to know the children at the orphanage and the others in our group. We were safely greeted and transported from the airport to the village 2 hours outside of Port au Prince. We saw much of the landscape and experienced the Haitian culture, while also having the opportunity to feed the children at school and assist some of the other Haitian families living just outside the orphanage. The children are so warm and approachable. I used my French, but they are also busy learning English. It was a privilege to be a part of the legacy created by Britney's parents!