Barcelona SAE participants facing Barcelona city Barcelona SAE participants facing Barcelona city

Customized Internship Program - 6-12+ Weeks

Barcelona SAE review

I had an amazing experience this summer! My internship was a great learning experience and I felt very comfortable living in Barcelona. The city was beautiful and I can't wait to come back as soon as I can.

Barcelona experience

My Barcelona experience was everything I hoped it would be and more. I tried to take advantage of all of the opportunities I was given which is what truly made the experience incredible. If I could do it al over again, I would easily come back to Barcelona if not another city in Spain.

Barcelona exploration

I decided that, given the chances that we face at the moment of seeing a President Trump, it be necessary to seek out safe haven elsewhere. I did not expect to find that place on try #1, but Barcelona has given me a sense of life that cannot be replaced with anything else. It's culture of food, architecture, community, and identity resonated so well with what I was looking for when seeking to find a place where I can be partially uncomfortable, yet have the opportunity to grow a part of it if I were to dedicate time here. I have improved my castellano to a level I did not think possible, and can continue to enhance it if I were to live here, maybe just eating a little jamón iberico each day. In time, maybe learning català will be a possibility too. Barcelona already has become a place I can find home. The staff at BarcelonaSAE made this all possible. They deserve as much praise as can be deserved.

Great experience

It has been a great experience in Barcelona. I have learned a lot through my internship and just by exploring the city about both the professional and social culture. It's great on your resume as too.

I loved it all!

Memorable experience is My internship. I worked in a gym where I got hands on experience training and rehabbing athletes. Not only did I learn a lot about my field of study, yet I was able to practice my Spanish and learn some Catalan as well. At work, I felt like I was part of the culture, and that was where I first got the feeling that I "belonged" in Barcelona.

I chose my program because I wanted to intern in the summer that way I did not miss school at my university during the school year, and I wanted to go to a Spanish speaking country to improve my Spanish speaking skills. Barcelona SAE provided the perfect opportunity for me to do this.

My home stay was perfect! I lived with a wonderful family; a mom, dad, and their two sons. I also lived with another student from the program as well, which really helped me adjust the first week or so to all of the new things I was experiencing, because I had someone to share these experiences with. We each had our own rooms, and our family had a huge terrace which we spent most of our time on when we were home not exploring g the gorgeous city.

I loved it all!

Could not have been more satisfied with Barcelona SAE. my home stay could not have been better, because that is where I was able to practice my Spanish the most. Everyone at the Barcelona SAE office was so accommodating! Classes were a perfect review session. I fell in love with the Catalan culture, and thanks to this program I know where I am going to live after I graduate!

Barcelona SAE Internships- Amazing Experience

This is an incredible internship opportunity for students who want hands on experience. No envelope stuffing here, you get into the placement and on day one you are working with the locals, learning Spanish (and a little Catalan) getting to understand the culture in a way that only an internship can provide. I did a homestay met other international students. All the staff are amazing as well. Just a great experience I highly recommend.

I have done several programs and by far this program was the best prepared for cultural immersion. From the excursions to the local presentations this was an amazing summer!

I miss those dayz.....

When I think back of my internship in Barcelona, it brings back so many wonderful memories-- meeting the amazing people; having the delicious food; visiting the awesome places.

My internship was in a translation company called Quicksilver Translate in Sant Cugat, which is about 20 kms from downtown Barcelona. Actually I'm an Engineering student but I chose my internship in finance because, to be honest, I got a little bored with engineering and thought it was time to learn something new. My main job was to prepare a flexible balance sheet and income statement for the company on Microsoft access. In the beginning, I was kinda scared as I neither had any knowledge on finance nor on Microsoft access; but the people in my office were really nice and helpful. It was just a matter of time that I got really comfortable doing what I was doing.

But this experience is not just about working, it offers so much more. You got to visit the different places. I had the opportunity to visit Camp Nou; it was terrific ;). I had the most amazing time taking salsa lessons. I could just go on and on.....

You know, applying for this program was one of the best decisions I've made in my entire life. It was the most wonderful time of my life, yet. So if you have this chance, don't let it pass by; grab it!!!!

I loved my apartment in Barcelona...... Right in the middle of the city, it was just a couple of minutes walk from the metro station; and you could be anywhere in a matter of minutes, be it Las Ramblas, Plaza Espanya or the beach :)

I worked in a small music school and helped...

I worked in a small music school and helped teach saxophone, piano, voice and clarinet lessons and I taught all the students in the school how to sing a Coldplay song in English for their holiday concert. I also worked with the preschool classes and the parent/toddler classes. I transferred their student database to a new program and re-filed their music library. I also attended music history classes with the other professors.

I loved the people I worked with and the opportunity to teach music in a foreign language. Every day, I learned more about their culture, their music and their language.

I enjoyed the opportunity to explore the city and meet some wonderful people. I also enjoyed learning about their culture and improving my Spanish.

I spent a lot of time exploring the city on my own and spent time with friends from work and from the language school. I also attended multiple concerts and took every opportunity I could to do something new. I was able to travel to Montserrat and Valencia for a few days.

I learned how to work in a school where no one spoke English and I never knew what to expect from day to day. I can deal better with stress, the unknown, being completely immersed in a new culture and taking on the challenges presented to me everyday.

Take every opportunity you can to learn new things and do not be afraid to take risks. Let yourself be completely immersed in the culture.

My internship was at an English magazine...

My internship was at an English magazine called Barcelona Metropolitan, The City in English. I worked with the lead graphic designer for the magazine as a design assistant. Mostly I created and fixed ads that went in the magazine. Because it is a free magazine, they rely heavily on advertisements from local businesses who want to reach out to English speakers to keep the magazine up and running; so it was really important to make sure the ads were attractive and pleasing to the customers!

I loved the environment: everyone was really friendly and even though the staff was mostly from the United Kingdom, they really incorporated Spanish culture into their business. Everyone kept a 'no pasa nada' (no worries/no rush) attitude.

I loved meeting new people both from the U.S. and Barcelona. Learning about new cultures (including things I did not previously know about different regions in the states) was probably my favorite part of being abroad.

Most days I would leave my internship around 3:30 PM and go straight to the beach. Even though the beaches inside the city are not nearly as beautiful as the ones just outside, they are still very impressive and easily accessible! The Mediterranean Sea is refreshing enough to cool down, and warm enough to keep swimming for hours. Of course, the shopping was fun to experience and I indulged quite a bit! Most of the time other friends from my program and I would go out for tapas late at night to truly experience the life of a Spaniard. We also got the opportunity to take some weekend trips to Madrid, Rome, and Pamplona for San Fermin The Running of the Bulls!

There are three valuable traits I learned in Barcelona that will help me out in the future: communication, patience, and the ability to adapt quickly. Learning how to communicate with people on the street and coworkers was a must! In order to communicate effectively I had to remember to stay patient in situations that usually happen very quickly in the U.S. (like going to a restaurant or waiting for a phone call to be returned). I especially think the ability to adapt quickly to a new situation (like a foreign country) will help me become successful in a new job after graduation.

ALWAYS enjoy every second of your internship, even if it gets boring at times: it goes by so quickly! Make sure you take lots of pictures and meet as many people as you can!

Great mix of structure and freedom and great balance of work and play

The Barcelona SAE Summer Internship program really allows interns to make their experience in Barcelona whatever they want it to be--whether they would rather participate in pre-planned activities and excursions outside of the internships or whether they would like to explore the city and Europe on their own. As far as the internships themselves, the program aims to let interns engagingly work in the type of field they desire without the jobs being too stressful or overbearing. This program puts a lot of work into making sure that students have a fulfilling experience within the workplace but also encourages its participants and provides them with resources to have fun and explore outside of the workplace.

Excellent program

Barcelona SAE is awesome. The staff is extremely helpful, only complaint I had was we didn't have Air Conditioning in the middle of the summer, but we lived. The planned trips were a nice touch as well.

Incredible experience in Barcelona with very little issues!

There is no way to have a "most memorable experience" from those incredible six weeks. However, one of my favorite memories with the program was on the weekend trip to Valencia! It was great to see a different place in Spain and it's own history outside of Barcelona and also to get to know new people in the program. I would highly recommend the weekend trips and just exploring as much as possible!

I wanted to go abroad but didn't really want to study because I already have enough credits so I was looking for a way to work abroad and this program seemed the best fit!

I lived in a homestay in one of the nicer barrios (Saria) in Barcelona. I lived there with two other girls from the program and we all got along really well. We had a lot of issues with our host mom however and most of them stemmed from her not wanting to spend any money. We all had to share one load of laundry once a week which meant we didn't get all of our cloths washed. We also were suppose to be provided with breakfast and dinner but sometimes there wasn't enough food for all of us for breakfast and the dinners were "okay" at best. We had probably 6 different meals rotated over the 6 weeks and they were mostly just pasta or microwave dinners. We were very disappointed in her and recommended for her not to be used again. HOWEVER, we were the exception- everyone else I knew that was in a homestay absolutely loved their homestay!

Incredible Experience In Barcelona!

Incredible experience in Barcelona with very little issues!

I loved the Barcelona SAE program and all of the people that worked for them! There were some times when events could have been a little more organized but all of the cultural events and our actual internships were great! They do a great job helping you adjust and always have an open ear if there are any issues. Make sure to be specific about what you are interested in doing and once there don't be afraid to ask questions or speak up if you have a problem because they are very helpful!

Internship Placement:
I was an intern so only had a week long Spanish course through the program but that short experience was helpful.

I had a hard time with my host mother (as did the two other girls that lived with me) because she was very stingy with money and didn't make us very good food and sometimes did not have enough food for us, along with other smaller issues. However, we were an exception because many people I knew had wonderful experiences with their home stays!

Could be a little more organized, however the people running Barcelona SAE are absolutely amazing and people who are always willing to help!

Teaching English at my Internship with Barcelona SAE

During my internship with Barcelona Study Abroad Experience (Barcelona SAE), I gained much more than a few college credits. Since I completed this internship just one semester before graduating, I was able to apply my university education to real-life situations. Most of all, living and working in Barcelona challenged me to evaluate myself. I began to recognize my strongest qualities and how I can improve myself, both as a foreign language teacher and as a lifelong learner.
As the first student from Missouri State to participate in Barcelona SAE’s internship program, I was very pleased with the entire process. After initial online applications and emails, I had a Skype interview with one of the program coordinators, Julianna, to talk about the types of work I would be most interested in doing while in Barcelona. My spoken Spanish proficiency level was evaluated during the interview, and we talked about my housing preferences as well. I could have chosen to rent an apartment with other Barcelona SAE participants or stay with a family in a home-stay. I chose a home-stay for the richer cultural experience. The pre-departure preparation I received from Barcelona SAE made me feel very confident and well-prepared for my upcoming trip.
Once in Barcelona, I attended a really informative SAE orientation with other program participants. We got to meet the SAE team, get to know each other, tour some of the city, AND have a rooftop cocktail party! I then found the apartment where I’d be living for my five weeks in the city. The program arranged for me to stay with a widowed woman who lived in an apartment in a nice business and shopping district. She prepared my meals each day, told me about local events and customs, and taught me a lot about what it was like to live during Franco's dictatorship (all in Spanish, by the way!). The apartment was just a five minute walk from the nearest metro stop, which is how I commuted daily to my internship.
Barcelona SAE coordinated my internship through a non-profit organization called EduRed. This non-profit offers free education to people who normally wouldn’t have access to it, especially Latin American immigrants in the area. I taught very beginning level English, but EduRed also offered career workshops, computer literacy, and personal image courses in other areas of Barcelona. They work along with other non-profit organizations to reach different parts of Barcelona and its surrounding communities.
I was the first among the pioneering group of teachers that created the four-week English courses with EduRed. Each week, I met with the other interning teachers and with EduRed’s go-to linguist. Together we decided every week’s general curriculum, and then we independently designed our own daily lesson plans and activities. I spent a total of 60 hours teaching over the month, and several hours each week creating lessons and activities. Through trial and error, I learned about staying organized while preparing class lessons and materials; how to plan the correct amount of time for each activity and lesson; and how to effectively use the available resources in Barcelona, like office supply stores and copy shops. Negotiating all of this in a foreign language was an adventure in itself.
The most important thing that I learned through completing this internship with Barcelona SAE and EduRed is that I have chosen a very rewarding career path. Teaching English abroad and working in international education is exactly what I want to do after graduating from Missouri State. I’m very confident that I have chosen a career that will enrich both my life and the lives of my future students, and I'm eternally grateful to Barcelona SAE for helping me realize that with their top-notch program.

Internship review

I loved my boss and internship, but I think for my majors it would've been better if I had been placed in a company or agency. I have to majors and I thought it would have been easy to place me in something more related to either of them

Six interesting weeks in Barcelona

Barcelona was not what I had envisioned. It was different from what I had in mind, which is what makes it a fascinating place to me. I learned a lot about the city and the Catalan culture. I felt more like a local than a tourist, if being frankly.

I chose the city randomly. I had thought about coming to Spain, although did not gave much thought about Barcelona. However, when I got some information about this program (Barcelona SAE), I became immediately attracted to it. My internship consisted of working with children, we spoke to them in English, and there were other interns whom spoke Dutch. Some parents are Dutch, other's English, others Spaniards/Catalans but all of them wanted for their children to learn English. Which is a great idea to learn a new language at a young age, better yet English as it can be essential.

My living situation was in a home stay with only a woman and her two cats. I am her first intern/guest, ever. She has never hosted for anyone before. This was excellent! That is, because she was so sweet and accommodating, and a "chill person." She did not know much about it as it was her first time hosting, therefore, she was getting the hang of it, and due to that she was very easy-going. I am pretty sure we will remain friends!

Overall, I loved the program. The staff are very nice, sweet, friendly, and helpful. The city is amazing, you have to see it for yourself!

A whole new Perspective

I really enjoyed this program I thought that it was well organised and allowed me to fully immerse myself into Barcelona's culture and live as close to a local as possible (despite my horrible Spanish language abilities) I wanted to do a program like this so I could get a real feel of living life in Spain and that is certainly what I experienced.

An Awesome Experience I will never forget

Memorable Experience? Everything.

I chose this program because it was supported through my school, I could get class credit for it, I could choose the number of weeks I wanted to go, and I could get professional experience (instead of merely studying).

I lived in an apartment with 3 other roommates. The accommodations were nothing fancy, but they were home-y and perfect for the 6 weeks I was there. I always felt comfortable, at-home, and safe.

An Awesome Experience I will never forget

The experience I had with SAE was life changing and 6 weeks of my life that I will never forget, even if I try. The first couple days were a little overwhelming after feeling jet lagged and thrown in an apartment in the middle of Barcelona with only a metro map and a few euro. However, this is the situation I typically thrive in. I love a challenge and it forced me to immerse myself in the culture in Barcelona faster than I would have otherwise. Living in an apartment with 3 other interning roommates to help each other find our way around Barca was great.

The cultural experience was amazing. All the events were great and getting to know kids from all over (in the SAE program) was a bonus.

I was super excited about my internship when I received it. I have a passion for startup companies and entrepreneurship, so working in Barcelona Activa with a startup company was a dream. However, after the first couple of weeks and settling in to the internship, the dream faded a bit. My employer was a very difficult person to work for. I find that I can get along with pretty much everyone and can work through tough situations with different types of people. However, working for my boss was a different story. For being the CEO of a startup company, my boss was one of the most close-minded people I have ever encountered. He had a habit of making me feel useless and that all my ideas and propositions were wrong or bad.

That being said though, working in Barcelona Activa was awesome because I was surrounded by young people and new companies. The culture was really great. I was able to accept the challenge and overcome working at my startup company.

All that being said, I still would not change my time in Barcelona for anything, not a minute of it. The culture immersion was unreal, facing challenges helped me grow and experiencing new things with great people was exactly what I wanted to get out of this trip. Thank you for everything!

Summer in Spain

I always felt safe and well cared for with the advisors. I thought the program offered a great opportunity for growth in cultural immersion, however I was not placed in the correct internship. Since the majority of my time was spent at my work, I would have liked to have been doing what I will be doing in my future career.

Awesome experience!

Memorable experience was seeing Barcelona from the bonkers.

I chose this program to boost up my resume and experience something new.

My accommodations was the only problem, but the staff were responsive and took action right away. id say this is the only down side of my trip, if you feel unhappy with your roommate i suggest you speak right away to the staff, you don't want your experience ruined by something like this.

awesome experiance!

i did an internship with barcelona sae, i was very happy with the progrem, the staff were quite responsive for any problems i had, amazing experiance.

Great experience, Hard-working staff

I really was impressed by this program. In the months before I even got to Spain, I was always being updated by a program coordinator. I never felt left in the dark and if I had a question, it was answered within a day or two via email. Once I got to the college in Barcelona, I was surprised that they are working from one story in a pretty small building, but the staff is friendly and hard-working. The numerous activities that they had planned were fun and interesting and exceeded my expectations.