Urbanización Santa Ursula Cahuide B-2 Wanchaq Cusco, Peru
Peru: Arequipa, Cajamarca, Cusco and 3 other cities
2-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks, 9-12 weeks
Typical Duration of Program
In Peru, where more than half the people live in poverty, work a 10 hour day away from their homes and children and, even then, do not earn an income sufficient to cover their basic necessities, 'Children's Homes', is filling a pressing need.
A low-cost, low-income day-care programme set up to serve 150,000 children nationwide, Children's Homes' began in 1993 as a collaboration between UNICEF and Peru's Ministry of Education. The programme has since expanded to create day-care centres in as many as 20,000 homes with the support of a $150 million loan from the Inter-American Development Bank and cooperation with the European Union and local grass-roots organizations.
For a small fee, working mothers leave their children who are under three years old in a day-care home where there is a mother-in-charge, trained in health care, early childhood stimulation and basic nutrition. Meals in the children's home, most of which are located in shanty towns of urban areas, are organized through communal kitchens or Glass of Milk committees that take the burden of cooking off the main caregivers.
Wawa Wasi (Quechua word means Children home) is exemplary on many levels: It has created quality basic services that meet the local community's needs, it fosters social inclusion and it boosts the physical, social and cognitive skills of children. It will create jobs for 19,000 caregivers
Volunteers are the right hand of the mothers-in-charge and help feeding and taking care for babies and infants who arrive to the day care centers. Each day, volunteers stimulate, love and nurture them in a way a parent would. Just playing with these children will make a huge difference in their lives. And you will benefit from the healing smiles and warm hugs, Physicians can also be helpful.
Working Hours: 4-5 hours/day - 5 days a week (volunteers are reminded to remain flexible)
Spanish level: Basic level
Recommended minimum volunteer commitment: 1 week
1. Affordable Program Fees
2. High Quality program
3. Wide variety of programmes and experiences.
4. Quick, accurate and efficient response time to e-mails and others
5. Spanish speaking Host-family
6. Permanent coordinators (24/7)
7. Flexibility on starting terms
8. Cultural immersion
Your Role as a Volunteer:
You will be involved in the day to day care of the children and be involved with playing with the children, running many types of craft activities, sports, etc. Perhaps teaching some English too or arranging creative activities such as drawing or arts and crafts.
We need volunteers who can give a lot of love in any circumstances. Babies and kids are waiting for volunteers who are loving. We don't require previous experiences, we only want to share time with dedicated volunteers.
Program Fees from USD 300 (1 week)
What's included in the program fee?
* Volunteering Program: High quality volunteer program in a local grassroots organization.
* Volunteer Residence accommodation: Volunteers will stay in our volunteer residence host family environ in dormitories.
* Three meals a day: The host family provides three daily local meals - breakfast, lunch, and dinner from Monday to Saturday.
* Pick up: With Lima city exception pick up from the bus terminal or the airport is included in all other locations. We have a very affordable Lima pick up packet, contact us for information.
* Support of local coordinator: From the very beginning to the end of the project, Awaiting Angels coordinator will help volunteers by supporting them and regularly visiting them.
* Information Packet: Awaiting Angels offers detailed information on issues that will concern volunteers, such as health, safety, and cultural shock.
* Orientation: Upon arrival in your location, participants are met at the airport or bus station and taken to the home of their host family. There you will receive an orientation that will familiarize you with the local area, the Peruvian culture, and your program.
* Entering phone calls
You don't need special skills to nurture a disabled or abandoned baby or kid. No matter the circumstances of their birth, infants, toddlers and teens understand the nurturing touch and kind words of a caring adult. Deserving children in our Peruvian host communities eagerly await your help today.
17 and up
American, Australian, Canadian and European Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Independently or in Groups
Independently or in Groups
With our volunteer programs we aim to give love, care and education to Peruvian children as well as help them to improve their quality of life and to serve as agents of change in our society; To provide short term volunteer opportunities on a low cost to international people through a fast and easy application process; To provide the volunteers with the opportunity to serve close to our communities in a developing country while improving their Spanish language ability; To implement the international rights related to child development; To improve the quality of education in deprived areas of Peru; To explore the use of information and communication technologies for social development; To provide volunteers the opportunity to learn our culture through cultural exchange; and Work side-by-side with local people, connect with others from around the world and have time for personal adventures.
The Awaiting Angels organization are fantastic and I would recommend anyone to go for it! I did about 2 months of volunteer work and felt it was all very worth while. I had plenty of support from J...More
I had a great experience volunteering with Awaiting Angels in Cusco, Peru. We had all of the resources and help that we needed in order to enjoy our time there and feel like we were making a diffe...More
Volunteering for Awaiting Angels was a great experience. I had so much fun with the children and other volunteers. Jenny was helpful in every way and always concerned about how I was getting on. On...More
In 2007, I spent 10 weeks in a town called Huancayo in Peru with the company Awaiting Angels. For 5 of these weeks, I helped out in a local ''Wa-Wa'' looking after a group of 16 children, most of w...More
My time spent in Peru Health Care: Cusco was amazing. In addition to learning about the local customs and culture, I also got invaluable experience to help me in my career. Being in a foreign count...More
Did you participate on a program with Awaiting Angels?
Share your thoughts!