OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

• Pay and Benefits

• Teacher Support

View detailed rating

US TA in Austria

I loved my experience so much that I extended for a second year and fell in love with teaching while doing so. I am now a full time English Language Teacher back here in the US, and love it.
They place you in 2-3 schools and each school has a teacher that is in charge of you. Both years my schools were a bit far apart, so I was able to adjust my schedule so I did one week at one school, and a the next week at the other school. Teachers I know who lived in big cities were had one day here, one day there, etc.
Your day starts early (7-7:30) but is over most of the time by 1 or 2 at the latest. You don't have homework to grade, just lesson planning. Each teacher "uses" you differently so the amount of planning depends on the teachers. Some teachers did more team teaching with me, others let me have full reign of the classroom, while others used me as a prop/dictionary.
The teachers (mostly) are very thankful that you are there, as it's not a given that a school will get a native speaker, and are really nice.
The only thing that is hard is living quarters. If you're in a city like Vienna or Graz, it's easy to get a flat with other people your own age, but if you're out in the sticks, like I was my first year, you're most likely either going to have a long commute in from a city, or you'll live with a family. There aren't a lot of apartments in the country side that are for rent for shorter periods of time. But your school/the previous TA at your school will have good ideas.

10 Overall Rating

• The School/Placement

• Pay and Benefits

• Teacher Support

View detailed rating

Becoming Austrian

Being a teaching assistant with the Austrian American Educational Commission turned out to be much more than I had expected. I went into it thinking, "I will try out teaching and see if it is something I like, travel a little, practice my German, and hopefully learn something about Austria". Three years later, I am still here in Austria and have two school years of teaching in Austrian schools under my belt. I have learned that I love the cultural exchange that happens in international education and am working towards a career in that field. I have made friends here in Austria who I consider my "Austrian family" and who cheer me on and help me in any way they can. I have explored and fallen in love the tiny villages, the big cities, and even learning to ski. In short, this program is life changing. The staff of the AAEC will support you and help guide you towards a wonderful experience here and if you take what they offer and run with it, you too might find yourself becoming Austrian.