AUCP - American University Center of Provence Header Image AUCP - American University Center of Provence Header Image

Advanced French Immersion Programs In the South of France

Living in Marseille and AUCP - Enriching, Exciting, Challenging

Take your traditional idea of France, and throw it out the window. Here you'll find not only a beautiful, gritty urban landscape surrounded by the incomparable region of Provence, but a city with cultural diversity like no other. As someone who really wanted to live like the French, I'm so glad that I did a homestay. I was immediately immersed in the day to day of my French family and their friends. I was particularly happy with my professors at the AUCP - they realize that you are in a new, strange environment and help you take advantage of it. Many of them have spent time stateside and can help you adjust. They truly care about your progress in French and other academic subjects, but also your general well-being.

Overall, my experience at the AUCP was enriching, exciting, challenging and truly once-in-a-lifetime. If I had wanted to go to a carbon copy of my school in a European city with all of the same kids, I would have picked a different program. I chose to immerse myself in all aspects of French culture and the best choice for that is the AUCP.

I miss Aix and the AUCP!!!

I have nothing but good things to say about my experience studying abroad at the AUCP. My French progress feels surreal. Before, I could barely speak in French and was never sure how to say things. Now, I can have full conversations with my host mom and always understand...she said my French, and my accent has gotten so much better.

I learned so much, not only about French culture, but also about my own culture. I really enjoyed learning about why things are the way they are in France, especially in terms of secularism, religion, socialism and politics. I wish that we had had less homework, but I do feel like I had to do more work than everyone else because my French level was lower.

While it was definitely a challenge, I absolutely adored my time in France, and will do my best to find a way to come back!

Becoming French thanks to the AUCP

The AUCP program truly brough an international dimension to my education. Knowing so much about French culture, sociology, etc has mae me much more curious and passionate about the language. My host mom has commented that, not only has my French speaking improved, she thinks that I've begun to think in French! I'm 100% certain that I will adopt French ways of life into my US life, and I am much more aware of how I act and things I do on a daily basis.

I'm so proud of my French progress, and I'm excited to be more active in the French-speakjing community at GW and continue to take more French courses. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to do it over again, the AUCP was the perfect program for me.

AUCP Fall Immersion

I had an amazing time in Aix-en-Provence, and I highly recommend this program to anyone with real academic goal who wants a true immersion program. The longer I held off from writing a review, the more I wanted to write one because as time goes on, I miss AUCP more and more. The slow pace of a small town combined with the constant mental gymnastics of trying to find the right words to say in French were a perfect balance that helped my French skills progress quickly while still feeling completely natural. The course load was diverse, albeit a bit tough at times; I learned so much about stuff I never know I wanted to know about. My host family placement was superb; they were welcoming, helpful, and I never had to worry about a delicious meal. Overall: 10/10

Language Immersion and Familiarity with French Culture

The American University Center of Provence (AUCP) is a great program. As a participant of the Fall 2014, Aix-en-Provence, my expectations for French Language Immersion and Familiarity with French Culture were met. From the very first day I arrived in Marseille, my host family welcomed me at the airport and drove me home where I met my two host brothers who were my age. On that same evening, we went back to Marseille for a music festival, which was magnificent. From the very first day, I was speaking French at home as a part of the family and on campus until my last day at Aix-en-Provence. The staff at the AUCP are wonderful in providing students with a variety of resources and course materials so that students are actively engaged in the classroom, on field-trips, and integrated in the community through host families, language partnerships, and friendships through travail bénévole. It is a remarkable experience.

• AUCP - American University Center of Provence responded to this review January 23, 2015 at 6:57 AM

Merci Manu! We're so glad you felt integrated into your host community here and felt totally immersed in the French language, that's always our goal. We miss you and hope you'll come back to visit soon!

Fantastic Immersion in the French culture

I did my study abroad at the AUCP and initially I was supposed to stay just the Fall Semester but I loved it so much that I ended up staying there for the Spring semester as well, and I even stayed there over the summer!
I had wonderful professors and I loved my classes. My French improved a lot and when I left Aix, I spoke French fluently and no-one could tell that I wasn't a native speaker!
I met a lot of French students via the AUCP's 'Language Partnership' progam which meant that I was not only studying but I was also able to party and to hangout with French students and to see how they had fun . Plus, since I stayed with a French family, I had an authentic experience of living like the French:)
I also became an expert on wine since I took the wine tasting class and I also took the cooking class and learned a lot about French cuisine and about how to make a 3-course French meal!
My year at the AUCP was probably one of the best years of my life:)

• AUCP - American University Center of Provence responded to this review January 23, 2015 at 6:58 AM

Thanks for your kind words! We're glad you stayed all year, and we're especially happy that we offered you a positive experience that allowed you to grow linguistically and culturally :) A bientôt!

Most worthwhile semester in my entire college education

The AUCP program is incredible. They have two program venues, one in Marseille and another in Aix-en-Provence. I chose Aix and loved every minute of my experience. The professors were French university faculty. I stayed in a great host family and improved my French enormously. In addition, I did community service work, had a personal interest activity (I took Yoga classes) and had two language exchange partners who allowed me to have French friends from day one.

• AUCP - American University Center of Provence responded to this review January 23, 2015 at 6:52 AM

We're so glad you came! Thanks for your sweet comments, we loved every minute of having you here!

Happy with my Immersion Experience Abroad

I came to France to improve my French language skills, but I gained a lot more. I've come to realize a lot about my own cultural heritage, especially from living with a host family for a semster. Thanks to the class on French society, I understand a lot more about French culture. I didn't feel like the program provided much about travel know how, becuase I had to figure that out on my own. I've grown tremendously this past semester, my level of independence and ingenuity has increased exponentially, especially after travelling since I'd never been to Europe before or travelled alone.

An Unforgettable Experience at the AUCP

Studying abroad in Aix-en-Provence with the AUCP was 100% worthwhile. While I haven't reached full fluency, it is truly INCREDIBLE how much progress I've made in the last four months. I'm truly comfortable speaking French in my everyday life and my writing and comprehension has dramaticaly improved as well.

Living with a host family, making French friends and just always interacting with people from a diffrent culture has enriched my appreciation for other cultures and countries in general. My experience living with my host family was the cornerstone of my study abroad experience. My French improved drastically thanks to the kindness and patience of my host mom particularly. Learning how to immerse yourself in French culture and tradition by becoming a functioning member of a French household was invaluable.

Part of me thinks that the AUCP should have given us more freedom to organize our leisure time - but having the requirements to do an activity or volunteer for an organization helped push us to engage in the community, and I am truly grateful for that. In the beginning, it was challenging to feel integrated, but the cultural learning at the AUCP was extremely helpful - it made me conscious lf my own American identity and helped me to try to function as part of French culture, not just an observer. Provençal people are super friendly if you make the effort to speak French and connect with them on a personal level. Once I started to make friends, I began feeling more and more seamlessly integrated with the local culture, and I'm confident that the connections I've made will continue to be a part of my life.

The professors were extremely qualified and approachable. The content was challenging, especially considering it was all in French, but the workload was ultimately manageable. I now realize how unique and once-in-a-lifetime an experience like this is. Living with a host family and taking classes in such a supportive and nurturing environment are definitely opportunities you can't take for granted. It was truly an invaluable experience.

Introspective and Transformative Experience Abroad

I'm so glad that France and the French language and people will play an on-going role in my life. I will definitely keep in contact with my host family and friends here at the AUCP. The fact that the classes are taught in French awas enriching, and I feel more independent and capable of living in a foreign country.

A Semester in Provence: An incredible, immersed experience

My AUCP experience broadened my horizons, challenged me in the best ways possible and engendered me to grow as a student and especially as a person. I gained the capacity to understand not only another language, but also the intricacies of a different culture. It was extremely worthwhile and I am positive many of the relationships I formed will last a lifetime. My host family completely changed the experience for me, and the food at my homestay, restaurants, boulangeries, markets was all great. I loved and will always remember my time at the AUCP.

Total immersion in Marseille, France

The abroad program in Marseille, France through the AUCP is a truly amazing program. The class size was small which lent to quality class time with professors and the ability to really improve in terms of French writing and speaking skills, but also gave us the chance to ask many questions and have great class discussion.
I am a Political Science major with a focus on International Relations and I found the program to be very enlightening. I took a class about Non-governmental Organizations, Cross Cultural Communication and Interreligious Communication. We also took a French linguistics course and an Arabic language and culture course.
During our semester, we as a class went to Morocco where we each stayed with a home stay. We were able to discuss political issues as well as ethics, morals and values and how they differ from those of "Westerners".
I learned a lot about myself and my own cultural background plus that of others. I have a deeper understanding of the differences between cultures and how we can work to have effective communication between cultures that are so completely different.

The AUCP is also focused on linguistic improvement. I stayed with a French home stay, I signed a language contract saying I would only speak French, I was assigned a language partner to assist me in learning and adjusting to a new place, plus I was asked to do an internship and join a club during my semester in Marseille. I felt totally immersed and my French language skills improved a lot over the course of the semester. We also learned Arabic! It was challenging but doable, plus it had a cultural component.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this program for anyone who is looking to be truly immersed in the French language and culture while at the same time learning about different cultures, politics and religions.

• AUCP - American University Center of Provence responded to this review February 10, 2015 at 8:09 AM

Merci Sarah Elena for taking the time to share your experience on GoAbroad. So glad that we got to share your AUCP Study Abroad experience on Le Blog (https://www.aucp-leblog.com/meet-sarah-elena/). We hope that you'll come back to visit us sometime! A bientôt :)