A woman in Greece A woman in Greece

[Pre-Med] Shadow Doctors 20+ Hours/Week in Greece

5-week program Athens, Greece

My trip with the Atlantis Project to Athens, Greece was one of the most life changing and eye opening experiences of my life so far. I am so lucky to have spent five weeks immersed in Greek culture, language, customs and history. I not only learned so much about what it is like to work in a hospital, I learned a lot about myself and grew exponentially as a person. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to see a global view of healthcare.

Life-changing

Overall, the Atlantis Project was definitely a life-changing event, an event that I will never forget. Along with global healthcare exposure, I was also exposed to the beautiful culture of Greece. Putting yourself out there may be scary at first, but eventually you start to get a handle of things and appreciate the little things in life.

The Atlantis Project was an unforgettable adventure for me and I do think it is worth the experience. I was scrubbing in surgery almost every day and was out exploring Greece after I returned back to the hotel. I had the opportunity to observe and note specific skill sets from rounds and diagnosis discussions. I also shadowed and focused on a variety of cardiac and thoracic surgeries as well as doctors in the cardiac surgery intensive care unit, emergency room, anatomical pathology, radiology, cardiology, pneumonology, gastroenterology, and anesthesiology department. The doctors, nurses, and surgeons I've met encouraged me to push forward and continue to pursue medicine. Along with the exposure, I also made strong friendship bonds with people across the world. The three weeks in Athens, Greece has evolved my perspective and brightened my long journey towards the medical field. Not only was I able to travel alone, but I brought along my enthusiastic interest of medicine with me. Overall, I am forever grateful for this breathtaking opportunity and would not second guess my choice to shadow again with the Atlantis Project.

To see pictures and blog posts of my time in Greece, follow #TravelWithMay

Unforgettable experience

The Atlantis Project fellowship was honestly one of the best experiences of my life. Right when you land you are immediately greeted with a smiling face by one of the site coordinators. From there you'e always on the go! In Greece we got to experience two different hospitals in the duration of 3 weeks. Everyday you get to rotate through different specialities and really get to be involved in what is going on in the hospitals. My favorite memory from the hospital aspect was getting to watch a neuro surgery during the second week! I boast about it to this day to people that I talk to! Not only do you get to have a crazy time seeing so many aspects of the medical field, but you also get to dive into the country's culture. Twice a week all the fellows and site coordinators get together to go on excursions that entail a lot of the history of that country. There's so many meals you get to experience with your other fellows, as well as, some "down time." We had a lot of fun exploring the Greek night life during the weekends and just getting to experience the country as a whole. I could talk hours about how great this program is! I honestly believe anyone who is interested in medicine should really experience this program!