Athena Study Abroad participants doing the love sign Athena Study Abroad participants doing the love sign

Athena Study and Intern Abroad in Florence, Italy

Beautiful Semester Abroad

I absolutely loved every second while living in Florence. I met amazing people, I ate incredibly delicious food, I took a cooking class and learned some key tricks of the best Italian chefs, and I traveled a ton! You can honestly get lost in the city when you simply just wonder around. There is so much to see and do all the time. Also Florence made it really easy to travel, whether it be hopping on a train and going to a nearby village or town, or taking a bus to the Pisa airport and traveling all around Europe, it was all so easy and affordable. The program I went with, Athena was very helpful in the entire process and I felt they were always there if I needed them. Overall I had such an incredible experience abroad and I would go back in a heart beat if I could, and one day I will be back!

Unforgettable experiences!

Studying in Florence, Italy was something really amazing, and I could not have done it without Athena! Everybody I came in contact with there helped me every step of the way, from checking up on my application to checking in during the semester abroad. Lorenzo de' Medici has some really amazing passionate professors and I loved going there. Florence is a beautiful city that's easy to adapt to, I loved almost every minute of it. Thanks to Athena I was able to travel to 8 different countries and more than 10 different Italian cities, and I'll never forget it!

Completely Life Changing. I could not have selected a better program.

I had the absolute best time of my life in Italy! My apartment was located right in the center of Florence, my classes took place all throughout the city, and I had the freedom to structure my time abroad however I liked! My roommates quickly became some of my best friends and we spent the semester exploring the city during the week and the rest of Europe on the weekends.

The Athena staff was super helpful throughout the entire process and really gave me the personalized attention I was looking for. I could not speak more highly of this program!

Wow! I love Florence

Wow! I love Florence.

An Unforgetable Experience

I had the time of my life while I was studying abroad in Florence. I would do it again in a heartbeat! The school I attended called Lorenzo de Medici (LDM) had teachers that were willing to help out with any questions I had and were very enthusiastic about their subject areas. LDM also has advisors that are very helpful if there are any types of problems that arise while you are abroad.

I only had classes three days a week, so I was able to travel around Europe almost every weekend. I got to go to Venice, Pisa, Rome, London, Paris, Prague, Athens, Capri, and so many other wonderful places.

I feel so much more independent after being in a foreign place by myself for four months, and not knowing anyone else that was going to be abroad.

Now that I am back in the United States, all I can do is think about all the wonderful places I saw and how much more there is still to see. I am just waiting for an opportunity to get back over to Europe.

my month in Florence

Do you love art history? Then Florence, Italy is a pardise for fellow art history aficionados. Enjoy seeing art that should be preserved in museums displayed outside to be viewed 24/7. Eat some of the best food you can hardly imagine. Most of all, take your time in walking around this vast city and indulge of what Florence is- a safe-haven for people figuring out who they are and what they want to do.

La Dolce Vita--Four months in Florence!

Choosing to study abroad in Florence with Athena was the best decision of my life. I couldn't have picked a better city, or a better program, with more personalized dedicated service. Athena partners with smaller schools abroad to make sure their students are getting the best, individualized treatment. At LdM, the classes were very small and it allowed me to have personal one-on-one contact with my professors and classmates that was invaluable, especially coming from a large university back home. With Athena you also get two free weekend trips to amazing locations like the French Riviera, the Alps, the Italian Riviera, Venice, Capri, etc. that are completely paid for by the program cost. The services Athena offers are just so wonderful for the price of the program. I did a lot of research before I made my decision to go with Athena, and they truly offered the most for your money, not to mention inestimable dedication to quality and personalized attention. I cannot express how grateful I am to Athena for making my experience so wonderful. Living in Italy, immersing myself in a new culture, traveling around Europe, learning new skills (homemade lasagna anyone?), meeting incredible, life-long friends, and opening my eyes to a new way of living would not have been possible without Athena's incredible program and support.

There are SO many course offerings with Athena! I took classes in my major but also was able to do take some courses that I would never get to take at my school back home, like a modern Italian cooking class and a conservation class where we actually conserved Hellenistic objects from Etruria!

I lived with other American students in an apartment on the fifth (sixth American!) floor in the city center. We were across the street from a gelateria (yum!), one block from the David, two blocks from the Duomo, and about a 10-15 min walk away from school. The location couldn't have been more perfect! There were a few small grocery stores by our place but the Mercato was an easy 10 min walk away. The apartment was spacious and fully-furnished and had all the pots and pans I needed to cook delicious meals!

It's difficult to feel fully immersed in a touristy city like Florence, but LdM tried to get students to partake in cultural activities by allowing students to sign up to go to local soccer games, take chocolate-tasting classes, learn how to make gelato, or join a wine-drinking club to learn more about our host country's culture. These were all great ways to get involved in some of Florence's main activities, but if you want to feel fully immersed, my suggestion is to spend less time with Americans and more time meeting locals and engaging in conversation with them. Italians are very friendly and will be happy to see you take an interest in their culture!

Everyone from Athena was very helpful before I departed, answering any and all questions I had, and sending me info about what to pack, how to get my visa, etc. I loved it! The administrators at the LdM campus in Florence were wonderful as well, and always available if I needed anything at all.

As long as you don't walk alone at night or walk around drunk, Florence is a very safe city. I never felt unsafe at anytime while I was there.

Social Life:
Florence has a great nightlife. YAB, Twice, Central Park...there are plenty, and you'll find your favorites once you get there. Aperitivos are a great way to meet people too--that's how I met a local and began practicing my language skills and learning more about the culture. For about 7-9 euros you can order a drink of your choice and browse their buffet for some delicious appetizers.

Athena Study Abroad in Florence, Italy

Florence is a small city with a lot to offer! With Athena, the planning and organizing aspect of it was a breeze. They have a large amount of class options taught in small classrooms by amazing instructors! The tuition includes housing (mine was in Piazza del Duomo, literally across from the Duomo) as well as two field trips, cell phone rental, orientation, international health insurance, transcripts and the opportunity to travel and live! Athena's personalized service made me feel comfortable and taken care the entire time--it was a great program!

'My experience with Athena was fantastic....

'My experience with Athena was fantastic. I was surprised by the level of great personal attention we received from the staff -- it was very clear how much they care about the students.

Even though the program went smoothly with no problems at all, it was nice to know we had someone to count on in case anything went wrong! We knew we were in good hands.'

I am extremely happy that I chose Athena...

I am extremely happy that I chose Athena. Everyone was friendly and incredibly helpful throughout the entire process.

'I cannot even begin to explain how much...

'I cannot even begin to explain how much everything has changed since I went abroad. I have realized that it really is a necessity for all students to see the world from another point of view.'

The Classes Were Small.

'The classes were small, so there was a lot of one-on-one time with the professors. All of the professors seemed very interested in teaching us all of the knowledge they had on the course being taken.'

I had an amazing time abroad.

'I had an amazing time abroad. I lived in Florence and traveled all over Italy, and to Amsterdam and to Barcelona. Thanks for everything!'

Athena Provided Authentic Experience!

I always wanted to study abroad in Italy! I went to my university's study abroad office and saw they only had one option in Italy. I wanted more out of my study abroad experience than my school was offering, that is when I came across different outside agencies to study abroad through. I found Athena Study abroad and I am so glad that I did!

Athena worker's truly care about the students they work with. My advisor (Brooke) addressed me by name, worked with me during the application progress, promptly called me back and responded to emails, and even helped me when I had a few struggles while I was abroad.

Athena also offered field trips to their students which was an amazing experience and bonus to see more than what my study abroad city had to offer!

If you're looking to customize your study abroad experience to the fullest, working with people that know what they're doing and are there to help you with anything that comes up, Athena study abroad is the way to go!

Great time