Athena Study Abroad participants doing the love sign Athena Study Abroad participants doing the love sign

Athena Study Abroad, Summer in Kyoto, Japan

I have dreamed of visiting Japan and my study abroad experience with Athena did not disappoint me!

My trip to Japan started out rocky because my plane was on the runway when the San Francisco airplane crash happened. The Athena representatives were so kind and helpful, and were very attentive to my and my roommate during this ordeal. It was nice to know that we had the representatives there for us in such a scary and chaotic time--and especially when we weren't even out of the country!

Our program in Japan over exceeded my expectations and gave us so many wonderful experiences: tea ceremonies, hot springs, Shinto and Buddhist traditions, traditional housing, Japanese ryokans, and so much more! I experienced every bit of Japan that I dreamed of. I couldn't have asked for a better time!

I really wanted to go to Japan, and I really wanted to study art. This program was a perfect fit!

I feel so much more confident about traveling and meeting new people! Thank you, Athena, for showing me it is possible for anyone to explore the world, despite their lack of experience! Our advisor Yuko was incredibly helpful. She went completely out of her way to make everyone experience what they wanted to while in Japan. I loved that there were so many activities and excursions. I know some of the people in my group complained because they would get so tired, but I was glad to utilize the little amount of time I had in Japan to the furthest extent. I really wanted to go to Japan, I really wanted to study art, and I really wanted to do it over the summer. It was a perfect fit!