Athena Study Abroad participants doing the love sign Athena Study Abroad participants doing the love sign

Athena Study Abroad in London, England

Experience of a Lifetime

I am such a huge advocate of study abroad now thanks to these individuals. Brittany Reed was the best mentor; she kept me on track throughout the process and answered what seemed like a million and one questions. I am so very grateful for Athena Abroad.

The Lovely London

Getting to travel to London was such a great experience. Not only did I get to venture off onto excursions with other students like me, I was able to go off and travel the city and to other countries on my own. I was able to really emerge myself and be a real traveler. I felt I was really able to see what was different but also the same in America. The food was so good. Fish and chips are so much better in London than America. One of my free weekends in London, I was able to book a day trip to Paris, France. I was finally able to reach one of my dream places and it just made me want to travel more. I didn't find any downfalls in this trip except for one thing and that was the class I took. The class I took was entitled Gods and Heroes of Classical Mythology. Although the class was very interesting, my professor really only focused on the heroes of mythology and not the gods. The brightside of it was that I gained so much knowledge from the class and my excursions that it will truly be and experience I will never forget.

Holy Guacamole

I have never had so much fun in my life then I did during my semester abroad. I met so many fantastic people here at the University of Roehampton. Unfortunately I did not find my classes very challenging. The Uni I am at is notorious for its parties. So although my social life was absolutely fantastic, my academic was a bit boring. But honestly that is okay because it gave me more time to explore and make life long friends from all over the world.

The Best Three Months Ever

I loved my time studying abroad in London, and the reps at Athena Abroad were amazing both before, during, and even after I returned. I highly suggest using Athena if you want personal attention while you are going through the study abroad process.

My spring in 2015

I was so scared, but excited about going to a different country all by myself for six months! When I got there, of course I got a little home sick for like two days, but I met some really cool people that hyped me up. London was a fun challenge to roam around in the city. They drove on the opposite side! I was able to go to many plays, old palaces like Hampton court, Cambridge University, and I also went up north to York! I formed strong bonds with some people who I still talk to and plan on visiting in the future. It was defiantly a life changing experience that I recommend every must do and Athena is a great program that will help you along the way to make sure that your experience is a fantastic one!

My amazing experience abroad

There's no way to name just one memorable experience. But to name a few, I loved going on the Harry Potter Studio Tour, riding the London Eye, walking up the Eiffel Tower, watching Wicked, visiting the beach in Brighton, and a thousand more.

Athena included so many things in their program that others did not (Post-study internship, photo contest, scholarships, charity work, etc.). This was also a very cost efficient program for me.

I lived on campus in a single dorm room (with my own sink!)

My amazing experience abroad

Going on this trip enabled me to have experiences some only ever dream of. I rode to the top of the London Eye, I saw the Rosetta Stone, I went to the Louvre and saw the Mona Lisa-right before I walked up the Eifel Tower. These experiences were priceless and have made me realize I have to travel again. People tell me I don’t have to, I just want to. But I think I’m right-I just have to. I need that take your breath away experience happiness as you never knew before moment that I would experience over there on a daily basis.

I love getting the feeling of being part of the culture

Through playing ultimate frisbee while in the UK I made friends with English students that did not go to my university abroad. Their campus is located in the city which meant that they knew a lot of cool, off-the-beaten trail kind of places to go to. I like touristy things as much as the next person but I love getting the feeling of being part of the culture and going to places where locals would go.

I liked that this program had a small campus school, not unlike the one I go to here in the States. Athena was very attentive throughout the process by calling me to check in while I was still in the process of filling out paperwork and emailed me while I was abroad to check in. I also liked that it was just outside London so that I could travel into the city when I wanted to but didn't have to be there all the time.

I lived in a flat on campus near where my classes were held. I had a room to myself with a sink and I shared a kitchen, small living room, and bathroom with 5 other people. 3 were natives and 2 were other Americans studying abroad. It was mixed, meaning that there were 2 guys and 4 girls in my flat.

The American Invasion of England for a Semester Abroad

Overall, my experience abroad was a good one. Aside from having flatmates that I didn't get along with and some faulty Skype calls home at strange hours of the night I loved being abroad. I knew I wanted to study abroad before I started college because I love to travel and see new places. While abroad I made some amazing friends from around the world that I still keep in contact with. If I could study abroad again, I'd do it in a heart beat.

I am a Biology/Pre-Physical Therapy major and I was not able to take any courses for my major while abroad because my university in the US said that most grad schools don't like core science credits coming from abroad. Instead I ended up taking general education courses.

Overall, my flat was nice. I got my own room with a sink and I shared a kitchen and bathroom with 5 other students (3 natives and 2 Americans studying abroad). However, I wish they would have matched roommates through a survey or something because I had little in common with my flatmates and we didn't get along very well (they were loud party people and I am not).

Roehampton is just outside the city which meant I was close enough to visit when I wanted to and was also able to retreat to a quiet and green campus (lots of trees and space, unlike a city like London).

There's a guard at the front gate 24/7, a side gate with key card access, and you can call someone to walk you to your destination if need be.

Social Life:
There were all sorts of events on campus and 2 different dances every week on Wed. and Fri.