OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

Athena Study Abroad in Italy

View detailed rating

Salute to the fabulous Athena Abroad!

Studying abroad has been the most amazing experience of my life! It was the first time I can think of that I was really truly happy. My study abroad advisor at school was (for lack of a better word) useless. I could not have gone without the amazing Brittany Reed and Brooke Putsch from Athena Abroad. I never had to wait for them to answer my calls or emails. They were always so helpful and understanding. They checked in on me while I was abroad. My only complaint would be that other programs had 'get to know you' activities/dinners/trips. I wish we would have had something like that, just with our program. Other than that, Athena Abroad was fantastic!

Florence: My Home Away from Home

Considering I go to a rigorous home university, LdM was not overly challenging for me in terms of the academics. That being said, when you study abroad the school work is not the main aspect. It's about exploring the world that surrounds you because when else are you going to have an opportunity such as this one?
The program staff at LdM were some of the most helpful individuals I've worked with. They not only made sure I was set to go with all of courses. They were there to assist with any issues I had ranging from getting around the city to host family placement. They were always easily contactable. In addition, they made sure everything was going well throughout the term.
I was very satisfied with my living situation. It was rough at first adjusting to life with a host family, but as time progressed, it became much easier. In fact, it was what made my experience in Florence all around amazing! Since LdM is mainly American students, it was the perfect mix to go to school with students who spoke my native language and learn from instructors who spoke my native language but being able to go home to a place where I could really sharpen my understanding of the Italian language. Best part of my experience!
The food was the best part of Italy hands down! Italian food anywhere else will not compare to the food in Italy. Everything is so fresh and delicious that leaving will be difficult.
Since I lived with a host family, I felt extremely integrated with the local culture. As my time progressed there, I felt that I could confidently communicate with the locals in Italian. By the time I left, my Italian was almost fluent.
I was lucky enough to not have to utilize the healthcare while there although my program did provide insurance for purchase.
During my time there, I never felt my safety was in question.
Fantastic. Made sure all my credits would transfer back before I began my program so there would not be any issues when I returned home.
Overall, going abroad with Athena was the best decision I have made in life thus far. It just felt right. As a result of my journey abroad, I am more confident than ever before and am willing to take many leaps of faith because I know that’s what it takes to follow your dreams. Even though this experience was nearly two years ago, it still and will always resonate with me.

Outstanding Semester Abroad

My semester abroad was the most amazing experience of my life. I was fortunate enough to meet family members for the first time and get to know them. I traveled all over Italy, went to London, Switzerland, and the French Riviera. I have learned so much about myself as well as the culture in which I spent 5 months. Once my semester was over, I stayed in Tuscany for a month and a half spending time with my aunt and uncle in a very small town learning everything about the Italian culture that I did not experience in Florence. I would recommend studying abroad for anyone who is given the opportunity. It was absolutely worth it.

Attending school was not difficult to manage with all the traveling that my friends and I did. My classes were fun and interesting about relayed over to my home university!

I lived in an extended-stay hotel and loved the location! I was very close to the center of the city and could walk anywhere that I needed or wanted to go.

It was very easy for me to immerse myself into the culture. I loved my experience in Italy and plan to return very soon.

I had wonderful program administration members working with me. There was never a time when I could not reach the two people that I spoke to most. They were a lot of help and I still keep in touch with them today!

Experience another world

This program was fantastic! They were with me every step of the way and they were very organized which made me feel comfortable and well taken care of. We had a great apartment and school and the city in general was very safe and walk-able. I gained such a perspective of other cultures as well as my own. I realized how fortunate I am to have had this opportunity and I hope that many others can share in the Florence study abroad experience or their own journey similar to this. If you have the chance take it and learn something new such as a perspective, skill or something about yourself, you won't regret it! Explore, experience wanderlust and give yourself the opportunity to say "I have lived."