Athena Study Abroad offers several programs in Italy including Florence, Rome, Tuscania and the Tour of Italy (3 cities, 1 semester). All programs offer Italian language courses, as well as a wide range of English-language taught elective courses. Athena's programs are summer, semester and year long.
Elective courses range from Art History to International Business to Graphic Design and plenty more. All programs include tuition, housing, health insurance, most semester programs include two field trips to exciting locations of your choice, resident director, and more.
Athena programs are different in that students are enrolled at small schools overseas in an effort to maintain the personalized service throughout the semester that Athena prides itself on providing. Unlike many other study abroad programs, Athena offers its students programs that are focused on intense, cultural immersion which puts them in touch with the locals of their host country, elements of the host culture, and other international students from around the world to ensure a well-rounded, diverse experience.
* FLORENCE: Studying abroad in beautiful Florence, Italy means living in one of the most artistically and culturally rich cities in the world. From the regal Renaissance and Medieval architecture of the buildings that line the city streets, to the priceless works of art that line the walls of the Uffizi gallery, beauty and culture surround you at every turn in this richly diverse city.
With one of the largest international study abroad student populations in the country, Florence is a perfect blend of old-city tradition with modern-day energy.
* ROME: The classic and historic city of Rome is one of the most ancient cities in all of Europe. The capital of Italy is a cultural treasure chest of Christian, Medieval, Baroque, and Renaissance influences.
Rome itself is a piece of art that captures the journey from antiquity to modernity. While wandering through the open-air markets and outdoor cafes of the city's wealth of piazzas, it becomes evident that Rome is a colorful mosaic of peoples, cultures, and nations.
* TUSCANIA: The walled Etruscan city of Tuscania is a charming, medieval town nestled in the Italian hillside outside of Rome. A rich collection of Italian, Etruscan and church history, Tuscania in many ways seems untouched by time. Because of the city's smaller size, students are able to gain an authentic Italian cultural experience in this preserved city. Tuscania's close proximity to many of the country's other famous cities (Rome, Siena, Florence) conveniently positions students within reach of several of Italy's other wonders.
* TOUR OF ITALY: This program enables students to study for one month in Tuscania, one month in Rome and a third month in either Florence or Venice across the Fall or Spring semester.
Each of these locations offers amazing resources for studying the history of Western culture from the age of the Etruscans to the Renaissance, and the program is conceived as an historical journey through these civilizations, retracing the steps of our European forebearers and exploring the monuments they have left behind.
* SUMMER IN ITALY: Summer courses are offered in Florence, Rome and Tuscania.
Fall, Spring, Summer, Academic Year
Semester: Sep-Dec, Jan-May; Summer pgms avail June, July, August sessions
Bachelors Degree (Undergraduate)
Languages Used as a Medium of Teaching
- Art History
- Art/fine Arts
- Business Admin. & Management
- Classical Civilization
- Comm. (radio, Tv, & Film)
- Conflict Studies
- Creative Writing
- Culinary Arts
- Environmental Management
- Environmental Management Systems / Policy
- Environmental Studies
- Ethnic Studies
- European Studies (includes Politics)
- Feminist, Gender, And Sexuality Studies
- Food Science And Nutrition
- Foreign Language
- Graphic Design
- Jewelry Design
- Liberal Arts
- Media And Cultural Studies
- Religious Studies
- Student Trips (non-credit)
- Studio Arts
- Theater, Drama, Dance
- Visual Arts
- Web Design
- Women's Studies
Cost in US$:
Ranging from 13,600 - 14,700 USD per semester; summer TBD
This Program is open to
Typical Living Arrangements
Independently or in Groups
Typically Participants Work
Scholarships are Available
* Michele lavagnilio Charitable Service Scholarship Award: USD 8000 The Iavagnilio Charitable Service Scholarship is designed for the Athena student who can best demonstrate a commitment to and active participation in charitable service in his or her community. Scholarship is available for Italy Spring Semester Students only. * Marie McKay Global Citizen Scholarship Award: USD 1,000 The McKay Global Citizen Scholarship is designed for the Athena student who can best demonstrate an interest in and intention to promote the concept of social justice at a city, state, national, and/or global level. * Vincent I. Benander Learning Scholarship Award: USD 1,000 The Benander Academic Scholarship is designed for the Athena student who can best demonstrate a true "love of learning" in his/her major area of study, and superior academic abilities. * Athena Penny Scholarship Award: USD 250 The Penny Scholarships are available to students studying abroad at specific Athena campuses overseas. For this academic year, students studying at the Rome, Italy and Tuscania, Italy are eligible. * Summer Service Scholarship Award: Up to USD 400 The Athena Summer Service Scholarship is available to students studying abroad for a summer at any of Athena's campuses overseas.
Application Process Involves
- Disciplinary Clearance Form
- Online Application
- Letters of Reference
Post Services Include
- Alumni Network