Asia Exchange Header Image Asia Exchange Header Image

Study Abroad in Phuket, Thailand

Cultural Experience at University

My trimester in Phuket was a wonderful experience. I made international and local friends, learned a lot about the local tourism industry and became a part of the university. It was amazing to both live and study on campus which helped me feel at home really quickly. A wonderful, friendly atmosphere made it a very special time!

Absolutely Incredible Semester!

If you are hoping to spend a semester in a country with a completely new culture, and are independent and adventurous, this is the perfect program for you! One of the main things that drew me to Asia Exchange is the low cost, especially compared to other options in America. The program requires you to find your own housing and has a lot more freedom than other programs- which, for me, has been the best part. I was able to choose the perfect living situation once I arrived (very easy to figure out) and am not living in a dorm with other American students, thus am able to get immersed in the culture. While the university is not too challenging, the class options are interesting, and classes only meet once a week for 3 hours. This makes it so you have a lot of free time! Which is amazing, because there is so much to do on the island. It is truly a paradise! Almost all the exchange students rent motorbikes, and you can go to the beach, snorkel, markets, mountains, and more. Ferries to nearby islands are about $10, so very easy to explore other places as well. Patong Beach (about 20 minutes) offers a really fun and crazy nightlife for those hoping to party, but there are plenty of other activities for those not interested in the party scene. Thailand is one of the most incredible countries in the world. The people are, for the most part, incredibly kind and sweet, and you will make a ton of Thai friends while you are here. Food is delicious and is less than $3 for a meal, and you can always get a $7 massage, or go to one of the night markets in Patong or Phuket. It is truly an incredible experience. The only thing that is hard is the housing situation, which is really easy to figure out once you are here, but can be stressful before you arrive. You can just book a room at the PSU Lodge for the first week, and will definitely have it figured out by then. Students come from all over, which is a great way to learn about new cultures. We had about 30 exchange students this semester, and I was the only American. We had students from Germany, Finland, Sweden, and Czech Republic. Also, the staff here are super friendly. Colin, a professor here, is one of the greatest people you will ever meet, and is always there to offer support and help. Because I have class only three days a week, I have pursued an internship here, which is great to do! Lots of non-profits looking for help that you can contact directly. Amazing experience, incredible country, and very low-cost. Definitely cheaper than tuition at a university in the USA! The program fee is $3,500, and housing will be around $300 to 400 per month, depending on your accommodation. Food is really cheap, and so are other daily living expenses. Highly recommend this program!!!

Best 4 months in my life

I was lucky to decide to go to Thailand for my semester abroad. I could go anywhere in the world but I wanted to go somewhere where is warm and what is totally different from Europe. So I choose Thailand. Luckily there was Asia Exchange, which made all the process easier and faster and prepare all the things for my university in Prague in just two days! After 2 weeks waiting for decision of my university, I knew I will get my scholarship and was so happy!!

It was amazing from the begginig, I was afraid it will be hard to make new friends since I was the only czech girl but AsiaExchange made amazing orientation week and we knew each other a lot even though semester hasn't started yet. They took care of us after that as well and organize a lot of events for us so as Prince of Songkla University.. Overall I met amazing people, had crazy experience, my english improved so much and I gain new knowledge in terms of business courses. I traveled a lot and I didn't spend that much money since cost of living in Asia is lower than in Europe...

I am so greatful I had this opportunity and strongly recommend it to anyone, I can't really choose one thing which was the best.. Every second there was awesome and I was trying to live it to the fullest.

Living on the other side of the world for 4 months will really change you and make you realize a lot about yourself and your life. It gave you so much opportunities for the future.. it totally changed my life in a good way of course. I wish all people could experience this as well! :)

I would always do it again!

AE provided excellent service before and during the program! The application process was easy, they provided a lot of information about the country and the exchange itself. They were perfectly organized and we had a contact person at the university in Phuket for the whole stay.
The program gave me the opportunity to experience a completely different culture and to see the most beautiful places in the world! Even with a very low budget I could live very decent and travel to other countries. At the university we had a lot of courses to choose from and the lectures were high quality - some even better than in my home university!

Semester Abroad with Asia Exchange 2014, Phuket

Going to Phuket for one semester with Asia Exchange was one of the best things I have ever done. I was able to choose the courses I like and also attend various acitivites, like a Thai cooking class, which were organized by Asia Exchange. Besides that Phuket is a great and fun place to be and it was always a blast when hanging out with the other international students. From Phuket you can easily explore other places and islands in Thailand as well, or just stay there, relax at the beach, do wakeboarding,etc.