A woman on top of a hill A woman on top of a hill

La Vita Bella. It truly was "the beautiful life"!

I took classes at the Umbra Institute through Arcadia, so I didn't primarily deal with Arcada. however, when ARcadia was involved it was great. The Umbra Institute was amazing and Perugia is beautiful. I would highly recommend this program. I felt like I was able to have a truly authentic experience in a small and closely knit city. I also was able to immerse myself culturally and my language ability was much improved by the end of my year abroad.

2006 was a great year.

I did the summer study abroad program at Umbra Institute back in 2006. It was probably one of the best summers of my life, but unfortunately this had little to do with Umbra. It was just amazing to spend two months in Europe while the World Cup was going on in Germany! I even made it to Germany for a week to watch a game.

I took two classes during my time at Umbra: Italian Art History and Photography, bot of which were pretty easy. We did have the opportunity to visit a number of important museums in Italy and see the works of art in person, which was awesome, but the classes themselves were not challenging.

Living situation was good. I lived with two other guys in our own apartment about 10 minutes away from the university. People in the program were scattered all over the place and I know some got luckier than others, but I had no real complaints.

One thing you definitely need to get used to quickly is the Italian siesta. Between 2pm and 7pm it's pretty much impossible to buy anything, including food. Plan according.

Perugia is a great town and allows for easy access to the rest of Italy. Florence is two hours north, Rome two hours south. My favorite weekend adventure was checking out the Dolomites in northern Italy. Spectacular scenery and off the beaten trail which was nice.

Studying abroad is a great experience, but you really get out what you put in, and six years later I do regret that I didn't put in more (learning Italian for example). Don't let this opportunity pass you by!

Interesting classes, but not challenging.

Perugia is a neat college down that attracts students from all over Europe. Great place to meet lots of interesting people.