Angloville Header Image Angloville Header Image

Language Immersion / Cultural Exchange programme in Poland

My new addiction

I am as addicted to Angloville as I am to traveling. In fact, I will check the Angloville website before making future travel plans. It was an incredible and unforgettable experience. Thank you so much!!

Memories to cherish

As a seasoned educator I have very high standards of educational programs. As an active international traveler, I also have a keen sense of what makes a quality cultural immersion experience. Now, as an Angloville alum, I have nothing but outstanding, incredible, memorable reviews to share about my experience volunteering as a native English speaker in August of 2016.

I was impressed with Angloville from the start with the clear directions provided during the application process and all subsequent communications. Once in Poland, the Angloville team continued to impress me. From our included guided tour of Warsaw, the journey to the resort, the social and educational activities planned, and more, the Angloville staff seemed to flawlessly organize all aspects of the program. They were professional and personable, the perfect combination for a serious yet social program.

I stayed at the Lipowy Most, which was the ideal venue. Quite honestly, the accommodations exceeded my expectations. The setting of the resort was truly picturesque, with many areas for us to explore with our Polish conversation partners. There was even an indoor pool, sauna, steam room, and game room. In addition, our meals were great, and we always had plenty of water, tea, and coffee available throughout the day. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful as well.

While we had very scheduled days, we also had enough breaks built-in to each day. I liked that the conversation activities were varied, so it wasn't repetitive, and that the Polish participants had a culminating experience at the end of the program that they were working on throughout the week (a presentation).

Not only was I there to help the Polish participants practice their English, but I learned so much about Poland through the many lively conversations I had with my new Polish friends. The cultural immersion is truly a two-way street. By the end of the week the English and Polish speaking participants developed such great friendships, that we didn't want the week to end. Thankfully we have social media to stay connected!

I highly recommend Angloville, and truly cannot wait to participate in another Angloville program.

Hard work but very rewarding

Angloville has a well structured program and that makes a volunteer from whatever background much more effective than would otherwise be the case.

The Polish participants came from a variety of professional backgrounds, were mostly at an advance level in English, were serious about perfecting their language skills and they expected results and a pleasant experience.

You must really pay attention and be able to speak clearly for many hours each day, explain words, idiom and slang and above all be there on time and be friendly and engaging.

The mentoring phase of the program is, in my view, real language teaching and the administrators try to match interests and backgrounds so that if, for instance, someone is an economist, they don't match that person up with an artist for mentoring, not that I remember any artists in the group. The result of the mentoring is a presentation by the Polish participant and is the high point of the program so you have a real responsibility to see the job done right.

Facilities at the venue were very good. The afternoon break was an opportunity to try out the steam bath, jacuzzi and indoor pool.

All in all, an exciting, challenging and rewarding opportunity.

• The Campus

My Polish immersion

I was saved by Angloville just in the knick of time.
I had moved to Poland in June of 2015, and my living situation that I had planned on had fell through at the last minute. Desperate and a bit weary of this new land in which I had planted my life, I needed a means by which to find the time to find a new home.
In comes Angloville to save my day. They contacted me via Couch Surfing (which is rare I'm told)
and asked if I wanted to stay at a Hotel with 3 meals a day for one week free. Given my situation at the time, it felt like divine providence that was nearly impossible to believe!
Little did I know that I was in for one of the great experiences of my life. I made wonderful friends amongst both the Native Speakers, Polish Participants and the lovely Coordinators! These are the types of people that I hope I can stay in contact with for many years to come.
I have so far done 2 Angloville jr programs. The venue was Stara Stajnia just in between Wrocław and Poznan. It was a spacious venue with horseback riding, plenty of space to walk, do yoga and even play football.
While the progam itself is a good 70 hours of activities and speaking sessions it certainly doesn't feel like work! You have the chance to meet and mentor some of the best and brightest of Poland's youth. Young pianists, aspiring scientists, future businessmen and women, and some day the nation's doctors and lawyers.
All this at no cost to you save for you time. If you are going to be in Europe for any length of time you MUST attend one of these programs. Some of you may lament at the thought of the Angloville youth being alcohol free, but I found it to be a wonderful chance to detox from the usual rough and tumble of Europe's party scene. I even got the chance to do yoga every morning with a small group which got me back into a daily Yoga routine.
If you are on the fence, SIGN UP and GO! It's worth every moment. Also bring a guitar or any instrument you can, you'll need it!

• The Campus

Hotel Chojnik: Angloville Wroclaw; 1-8th Aug 2015

I am 19 years old from Scotland and I discovered Angloville through a recommendation from one of Angloville's co-ordinators Lucy Fox who I'd gotten to know on holiday in Menorca while she was leader of the kids club. She knew I had travelled before in Asia and loved working with kids in drama classes so she said Angloville would be perfect for me. I joked with her after I'd booked the flight for it that if it was terrible it was on her conscience but after one of the most rewarding, brilliant weeks of my life there were no worries on that count.

From start to end it was a fantastic experience. I stayed in the Hostel Bemma which had everything i could want and was 5 mins from the central squares. On the Saturday I met the other volunteers for the first time and despite me being the youngest (19) compared with others up to age 26 they were all extremely warm and positive - glass half full - people. A free tour of the city of Wroclaw showed us all how beautiful it was and allowed us to get to know each other and our excellent (also Scottish) co-ordinator Ross quickly. This was followed by a free meal and then some drinks at a bar where we experienced how inexpensive Poland can be. The next day we met at a car park prior to getting the bus to the hotel, met most of the kids and some of their parents for the first time and then headed off. The organisation of this whole section was excellent. Contacting Ross was easy, the places to meet were easy to find, and getting around the city is simple and cheap.

From the bus ride out until the end of the week, it became one of the most rewarding weeks of my life. I feel like I have grown so much thanks to Angloville: through meeting the amazing other volunteers from all over the world who opened my eyes to so many other viewpoints and ways to see the world; to the responsibility and new challenge of teaching and spending time with the Polish participants who were bar none, the sweeetest, most enthusiastic bunch of kids you could ask for. They made every game, speaking session, conversation and moment exciting and fun. They helped me learn how to deal with kids who speak a different language, deal with all different ages and improved my confidence immeasurably. This will all most certainly help me in my prospective career in some form of teaching. This is the kind of week where what you put in is what you get out and I feel I put my absolute all into it and I certainly got a ton out of it.
I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys working with kids/teenagers; has an enthusiasm for life and relishes connecting with people. The programme was excellently co-ordinated, all the kids were fantastic, I couldn't have asked for a better group of volunteers, you all made this an incredible week! Much love to you all.
I will be back!