P.O. Box 24865 Fort Worth, TX 76124 United States
Throughout the year
2-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks, 9-12 weeks, 3-6 months (High School)
Typical Duration of Program
First and third Monday of each month
Working with special needs children can be an especially rewarding experience as it brings out the best in them and YOU! There is no doubt that it requires a little more of you physically and mentally. Compassion, by far, is the biggest requirement. There is also no doubt that it is time and energy well spent. For the child, it means having the one-on-one attention from someone who cares. For you, the volunteer, it means the lasting memory of watching a child beam with pride after reaching a challenging milestone that you helped him or her to achieve.
Volunteering to work with those that have special needs in a developing country is all the more sweet as they tend to come from impoverished families and the level of care that they receive is usually not sufficient to address their needs.
While working with our project to help children with special needs in Argentina, you will find there are about 70 children that come to the facility for daily counseling and therapy. And there are another 50 or so that come in on a weekly basis.
While the level of responsibility will vary according to each individual's level of experience, here is some of what AMPED volunteers can expect:
* Assisting teachers in the classroom;
* Assisting with therapeutic practices;
* Helping with recreational, manual, and artistic activities;
* Organizing and developing sports and other outdoor recreational activities;
* Reading stories, mentoring, caring for and simply playing with the children;
* Teaching skills such as art, gardening, handicrafts, music, carpentry, and dance.
- FREE Spanish and Tango lessons.
- Participants receive 2 hours of free Spanish Monday-Friday for the duration of their stay, up to 120 hours.
Must be at least 18 years of age. While not a requirement, a basic Spanish level is recommended for this project colors, numbers, clothing, and other basic vocabulary.
Starting at 910
- Cost includes project set-up arrangements, airport pick-up, accommodations, orientation, and 24/7 emergency in-country staff support, and one time, one way transfer to project site. Participants will also receive information regarding their placement prior to their departure.
- Placement information, will include in-country contact information, alternative accommodations for delayed arrivals, currency exchange, phone and internet communication, laundry, etc.
While participation is not limited to this demographic, the average age is 18-26. Program placements are in Cordoba, Argentina, which is a college town. Because Argentina tends to be known for its cultural sophistication, participants tend to be on the higher end of the age range. Participants that are flexible and open minded when it comes to cultural differences, ways of life, and work pace are those that tend to benefit most from their experience abroad, as do those that demonstrate initiative with regard to recommending and implementing changes to improve the project and to assist the staff.
18 and over
American, Asian, Australian, Canadian, European, Kiwi, South African and Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Couples and Individuals.
Independently or in Groups
Independently or in Groups