AMMAC Header Image AMMAC Header Image

AMMAC Volunteers: Compassion for All

My experience as a volunteer of AMMAC (Summer 2016)

Hi, my name is Jason. I'm 21 years old, study History and Biology, and come from South Carolina. In the summer of 2016, I decided to volunteer my energy to AMMAC, an organization based in Nuevo Leòn, Mexico, that supports local communities. In this review, I will discuss briefly my experience in the following programs facilitated by the Alianza de Ministerios de Misericordia, A.C: Misericordia Para Todos and Mi Casa es Tu Casa. In Misericordia Para Todos, I assisted AMMAC in the delivery of food donations from places like Wal-Mart La Fe and the local market to lesser-developed communities like Colonia La Joya. I enjoyed this program, because I made friends with the staff of Wal-Mart and locals. My experience in this program was satiable because of the support of AMMAC's employees and the amount of responsibility with which I was trusted. The atmosphere was laidback and friendly. In Mi Casa Es Tu Casa, I helped AMMAC and other volunteers construct homes for two families. The work was strenuous, but the experience and the connections that developed between AMMAC, the volunteers, the families, and myself were impactful and fulfilling. Also, lunch was always provided by the staff of AMMAC or the families during both of these programs.

Loved it!

What a fantastic three week experience I had with AMMAC in 2007! I spent my first Christmas away from family and was treated like royalty. I really enjoyed meeting locals and offering them practical assistance, like food and clothing. Some of the communities I visited really changed my world view. I loved working on my non-existent Spanish and would definitely recommend AMMAC to anyone who wants to make a positive difference.