AMIDEAST Header Image AMIDEAST Header Image

Area & Arabic Language Studies in Egypt (Semester/AY)

Awesome Experience in Cairo

I absolutely loved my time in Cairo and that was mostly because of the opportunities provided by AMIDEAST. I made long-lasting friendships with both the students in my program and with Egyptians. The thing I really love about the program is that it is great at creating an environment where students are challenged academically, but where they still have time to explore and get to know the country.

The Arabic professors were outstanding and probably the best language professors I've had in the 3 years I've been taking Arabic. The Arab Spring class I took was also excellent. I loved the Community-Based Learning class because I had a great internship teaching English to Egyptian students. The internship you choose greatly effects you're experience with the class, so my advice is to choose carefully. My Egyptology class was interesting but not what I expected (it is why I gave academics an A-)

I stayed in a Shared Apartment with other girls from my program. The apartment was very nice and spacious. The location was only a short walk from where we had classes and there were three large grocery stores, as well as, several restaurants in the vicinity.

One of the best things about AMIDEAST programs is that it gives you multiple opportunities to interact with the culture and get to know Egyptians. This is done through dialogue sessions (with Egyptian students), language buddies, group excursions, and special activities throughout the semester (calligraphy classes, cooking classes, mosque tours, guest lectures, Arabic movie screenings, ect...).

The staff was always helpful and great at answering any questions we had.

I never felt unsafe when i was in Cairo. The area where students live is slightly more "western" (there is a McDonalds and Pizza Hut around the corner) and very safe. When there are protests happening somewhere in the city, the staff are great at making sure students don't go near there. If you use common sense and listen to the AMIDEAST staff, it is no more dangerous than anywhere else you might go in the world (including parts of the United States).

An experience that I would have paid any amount of money for.

When I decided to study abroad in the Middle East, I quickly realized that Cairo would be the best choice. Cairo is not only the heart of the Middle East, but also a key figure in world politics and culture. I needed a program that would give me the flexibilty to pursue my own interests but also provide me with some structure so that I could direct my focus on academics. Amideast was a great choice and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an engaging experience.

I really wanted to work on my Arabic langauge skills, and luckily I was given a lot of course options. I took Modern Standard Arabic, Egyptian Arabic, and media Arabic, and although that may seem like a lot of language instruction, I never felt burdened by it since my professors were great.

Other than that, the program provided excursion opportunities that really made our experience special. I will never forget the things I felt while looking out over the desert at sundown or while dancing with my new friends on the Nile.

Overall, I cannot wait to go back to Egypt and Amideast was the well-rounded program I needed to give me a solid introduction to the Middle East.